Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm SVI single stack advice

LegionShooter

IMM length guns are 4.5" which is what they base their open division guns on. It's a great length..

Brandon made some good points about going with the 4.5" barrel so I took his word for it. Especially as I've never owned a 10mm 1911. Still very concealable, which is the primary function, but I will also likely run it now and again as a second gun in SS. So yes it's not a traditional SS gun, but it's not a 3.5" pocket 1911 either. Excited to be on the waiting list though, regardless.

What were the points he made about 4.5"?

Frankly we talked about several things and I don't remember all the engineering fine points. The main take away was that although commander length 10mm can be reliable, he has found the best reliability to come from a 4.5" barrel (if not using a 5") because it uses the same cycle length (if that's the correct term) as a full government 1911. This cycle length is more favorable with a longer cartridge like the 10mm. The commanders use a shortened cycle. I assume this is because of the length of barrel allowing the slide to travel less distance rearward. The SVI commander barrels are 4.24" and he is going to build it with a 4.5".

This cycle length is more favorable with a longer cartridge like the 10mm. The commanders use a shortened cycle.

Which I find funny, because the 10mm was designed around the same OAL as the .45 ACP. The ACPs SAAMI max is 1.275 and the 10mm is 1.260, just a tad shorter than the ACP. Both the 10mm and ACP run fine in a commander length 1911 with 4.25 barrel and abbreviated cycle.

Hardest part now is waiting for your gun to be built. Hopefully it's sooner than later!

This cycle length is more favorable with a longer cartridge like the 10mm. The commanders use a shortened cycle.

Which I find funny, because the 10mm was designed around the same OAL as the .45 ACP. The ACPs SAAMI max is 1.275 and the 10mm is 1.260, just a tad shorter than the ACP. Both the 10mm and ACP run fine in a commander length 1911 with 4.25 barrel and abbreviated cycle.

Hardest part now is waiting for your gun to be built. Hopefully it's sooner than later!

I know there are CDR length 10mm out there, but like I said, I've never owned a 10mm so I deferred to the expert on it. I hope it's sooner than later for sure, but I've settled in for a 15 month wait just so I won't chew my fingers off waiting for it to show up once it hits 12 months...

Im with you

I would order some holsters ahead of time for it as well...

Any recommendations for holster makers? I use a leather Galco for my current CCW but a pistol of this level, I believe, warrants a nice custom carry holster.

Del Fatti but I don't think he's taking orders anymore. He's about a year behind. I carry my 1911 in an Aker Flatsider.

• 2 months later...

I feel your pain. I'm approaching month 15 for waiting for mine. Sounds like the build will enter the final process here shortly and I was warned it could take this long so I'm not complaining. Brandon and the rest of the Blue Team have been really awesome during the whole process. Brandon has the patience of a saint because he's had to field some pretty basic questions from me over the past year or so as well as some change orders. I couldn't ask for better customer service.

What's the big deal with 10mm? It's just one measley mm bigger than a 9, and those are wimpy! Why not just stick with a 45? ?

Sounds like a fun blaster! I'm excited to save up for a CCO of some sort, seems like the ideal carry aize

10mm

200 gr (13 g) DoubleTapW.F.N.G.C. Hard Cast 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) 750 ft-lbf

.45 ACP

200 gr (13 g) Speer Gold Dot JHP +P 1,080 ft/s (330 m/s) 518 ft·lbf

Yeah I can see your point. 1mm really doesn't make any difference at all. :rolleyes: