Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SketchUp question

GilaMonster

Just begun using SketchUp to put together some stages for our club matches. Using the free version of SketchUp, so maybe what I want to do requires the 'pro' version...

I want to put a 'Tuxedo' target on a laydown target stand. I have exploded the laydown stand to remove the standard target, but am not able to rotate the Tuxedo target back to the angle of the laydown stand.

I have a screen capture of what I am trying to do, at PhotoBucket, but today the forum won't let me post a link. (wonder why... I did the other day.) I'll try to attach the photo to this post...

Anyway, ordinarily, I would go to the side of the object, with the Rotate Tool, and turn it. But this target is too narrow on the side view to do that. And the free version of SketchUp does not seem to offer the input box where you can type in inches or degrees, or whatever.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

(I have tried to just paint the black areas on the target face, as we do with the actual targets, but that does not come out well... the black doesnt always show up as black, when you Orbit or Zoom)

Thanks for any help...

post-36953-0-14423700-1409925267_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

TIPS:

Press SPACE to select object.

Press Q on keyboard to enter rotate mode. Remember, there are three axis...pick the right one.

Press O for Orbit (hold shift to straf).

Scroll your mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

Press M to move object.

I use these keys all the time building stages. You don't need the pay version, the free version does all you'll need for match/stage design.

• 4 months later...

Use shift.

If you need to rotate something spin your view around to where the rotate icon is the correct direction. Hold shift then it will keep that orientation as you put it on the object.

You can also place the rotate icon on something else and then hold shift and it will stay in that orientation till you place it.