Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique this Setup

dhunt91

Okay my Goal with this set up is to have a normal / lighter weight ar that is the smoothest and less felt recoil possible

jp silent capture spring

16 inch mid length

young superlight carrier

jp adj gas block

nordic corvette comp (seriously think this thing is underated I LOVE it)

Having a mid gas system is probably going to give you more recoil than a rifle gas 18".

The nordic isnt as effective as some other larger brakes.

You could get a lightweight profile 18" if you wanted. I think the difference in recoil would be quite noticeable.

I'd dump the JP SCS and go with a Carbine buffer and spring...several ounces lighter, and it can be tuned.

If you reload, you can tune the load to the gun and skip the adjustable gas, which is also going to save some weight.

My 16" superlight feels about like a .22Mag and weighs 5.3 pounds...there is a lot that can be done...

I have a SCS on a 16in midlength with adjustable gas and it is extremely smooth and super fast, but I is not nearly as soft as my 18in rifle gas with standard spring and lightweight rifle buffer. Both have JP brakes. If anything I think it makes the recoil harder.....but it is smoother and faster feeling. You may have noticed I haven't picked a favorite setup yet.

Eh I was trying to avoid going full 18 but it seems every one recommends them

Unless you are willing to download and tune a gun for a short barrel, there really is no advantage to a 16" over an 18", and there are several disadvantages. For factory and normal .223/5.56 ammo, the 18" is the choice.

I'm pretty set on a 16 barrel

Iv shot several 18 and while. Agree they shoot very nice they just feel clunky for some reason to me

I do hand load although I have not started rifle yet that will be my next undertaking

Mark,

what are the specs on the load you use for that rifle?

Mick

I'd dump the JP SCS and go with a Carbine buffer and spring...several ounces lighter, and it can be tuned.

If you reload, you can tune the load to the gun and skip the adjustable gas, which is also going to save some weight.

My 16" superlight feels about like a .22Mag and weighs 5.3 pounds...there is a lot that can be done...

Mark,

Mick

Around 13 (+/-) grains of AA1680, 40 grain bullets. It is NOT a .223 load, so be careful if you decide to try it.

You didn't mention a handguard, but since your thinking a 16" barrel (mid length gas presumably) and the jp gas block you must be thinking of a hg length of 12" or less? If so I would seriously consider getting a lower profile gas block so you can run a 14"+ slim hg over it. I've never run into a situation where a handguard was too long but I've seen plenty where they where too short.

[quote name="MickB" post="2236791" timestamp=

Mark,

Mick

Around 13 (+/-) grains of AA1680, 40 grain bullets. It is NOT a .223 load, so be careful if you decide to try it.

Mark, what is the velocity of this load? Used this powder with some cast 223 loads, it worked ok.

Edited by bmiller