Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Had an interesting failure today

mpk1996

So, I was out at the range shooting my M4. I had the range to myself, so the drills I was running were going pretty fast. After about 30-40 min of shooting after I finished one of my drills I went to put the rifle back on safe, but it would not go. I flicked it back to fire, operated fine. Same with full auto, but it wouldn't go on safe. So i dropped the mag and cleared the rifle, pulled the take down pin to have a look. nothing out of place. nothing broken that I can see. So I took it over to one of the Bravos to get a punch to start breaking it down. first we pulled the auto sear to see if that was in the way some how. Nope, sill wouldn't go to safe. so we pulled the trigger and then the safety. As we get the trigger out and roll the safety out, a spend primer, yes primer falls out. I guess running 8-10 mags in relatively fast order had heated the rifle up to the point where the brass was expanding enough to loosen the primer pocket. And on extraction and ejection the primer fell out and got wedged under the safety.

pretty interesting, as I had not see that particular failure before.

just figured I would share

The primer cup is brass as well and if heated would expand at the same rate the pocket would and would not fall out. With that much heat, more than likely, a cartridge became over pressured due to the powder charge being real hot and it blew a primer. It happens, not often, but it does happen and the primer and anvil can end up in the darndest places. Weirdest one I ever say was an anvil that got shoved into the gas key and the rifle wouldn't cycle right. Took forever to find it!

The primer cup is brass as well and if heated would expand at the same rate the pocket would and would not fall out. With that much heat, more than likely, a cartridge became over pressured due to the powder charge being real hot and it blew a primer. It happens, not often, but it does happen and the primer and anvil can end up in the darndest places. Weirdest one I ever say was an anvil that got shoved into the gas key and the rifle wouldn't cycle right. Took forever to find it!

could be, not sure what exactly happened. just know the primer ended up under the safety. ya, lots of moving parts and things going quickly.

Weirdest one I ever say was an anvil that got shoved into the gas key and the rifle wouldn't cycle right. Took forever to find it!

Funny you should say that, I've seen one like it recently too.

Had this happen to me a couple of matches ago with Federal XM193 on a very hot Texas day. Kind of a fast stage, got about 10 shots in and my CMC trigger locked up tight with no movement. Went to the safety table and took it apart and a primer cup fell out of the the trigger housing.

gerritm