Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Review of Steve Anderson, 2014. Get to work: the practice of more poin

Steve Anderson

Review of Steve Anderson, 2014. Get to work: the practice of more points per second.

This book is about the integration of the mental and physical. It’s a heady book in many ways, like an updated Enos, but it’s also a very practical training book that yields results. This is NOT just another book full of drills. I have a bunch of those on my shelf, and this book is different. In fact, Get to Work has helped me use my library of drill books in a different and much more effective way. This is the one practical shooting book to rule them all.

Get to Work teaches us how to train efficiently. The time I had been putting in during live and dry fire hadn’t been yielding the results I wanted. Anderson’s new book explained why, and gave me a new approach to training. I’m making significant progress after only a couple of months, and my performance at matches has been increasing and becoming much more consistent.

A big part of the book is mental management. It’s no secret that Steve Anderson is a disciple of Lanny Bassham, and his latest book shows this very clearly. I read Bassham’s With Winning in Mind, and I think it should be on everyone’s shelf. However, Anderson’s Get to Work is much more focused on USPSA and IDPA shooting, and I’ve been able to apply mental management to all aspects of the game. Maybe the biggest change in my attitude at matches is that luck doesn’t play a role in my strategy or performance anymore. I go to matches relaxed and ready to complete at the best of my current abilities.

I don’t want to give too many spoilers in this review, but here’s one: I learned why practice had often been frustrating for me. I had been trying to increase my speed and accuracy at the same time. Anderson explains that this is counterproductive, and damaging to the self-image. I now train for increased speed (“speed mode”), increased accuracy (“accuracy mode”), or shot calling (“match mode”) but never more than one at the same time. This way I can focus on the progress I’ve made in each.

If you want to improve your shooting performance, buy Get to Work. Every serious competitive action pistol shooter should own and use it.

-Kelly, Portland Oregon

Now available at Andersonshooting.com and Amazon.com

I've been very impressed with all of Steve's books, and this one is no exception. Between helping to develop a mental management strategy (for both practice and competition), and for creating focused goals during practiced, this book has already helped me a lot. I'm looking forward to my work slowing down a bit so I have a block of time to dedicate to the application of more strategies in this book to my practice schedule!