Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you train / practice for a major match?

S391

I will be shooting our state IDPA championship in a couple of weeks and I was curious what routine people go through when preparing for a major match? What drills to you run? What do you work on?

I tend to think that it’s too late to learn anything new and that my time would be best served trying to tighten up what I already know… However, I would be curious in your thoughts / feedback / insight.

What do you do to prepare for a major match? What is your training routine / regiment?

Thanks in advance.

Like you said, it's to late to learn anything new or get any better. For me though the last couple trips to the range I like to work of tight shots at distance. That and make sure my sights are on, and everything is working. I'm not really trying to push anything.

I don't adjust my dryfire plan at all.

I work on things I suck at, and sport rules. IDPA requires reloads without leaving cover, shooting from awkward leaning positions, etc. If you are someone who shoots other games primarily, your gear or equipment could be much different.

WHO SHO practice never gets old. Practice longer shots than you'll need, makes everything else look closer.

Normal prematch routines as normal, sights are zeroed, holsters are clean and tight, no new loads and every round is drop checked.

This close to the match, I would recommend dedicating some range time to fix a problem - or something you want to be better at. During these sessions, I would choose/create a drill that let me work on that one thing. My practice sessions rarely go over 200 rounds. The hope is that the repetition and absolute focus on this one detail might make the difference in overcoming the obstacle.

The last couple weeks before the USPSA nationals I only shot the gun I was going to shoot at nationals, my 627. I didn't even shoot my other 2 N-frames that are setup up very similar. Wanted to be super familiar with the particular gun I was going to compete with.

I like to work on some of the skills that don't get used very often but always seem to show up at major matches, such as support hand only and strong hand only. I also like to double check my point of aim, especially where head shots are concerned.

I like to work on weak hand and strong hand only since they almost always show up. Shooting on the move, laterally, retreat, advancing seem to be common. Practice some long shots. I like to do dry fire practice of reloads with retention. Shooting from odd positions behind cover, prone, kneeling, maybe holding a weighted object in one hand. If you get to any local matches make a point to really nail your setup positions, you want to be able to plant your feet and shoot without having to readjust if you can help it. I know some guys like to use local matches to train and challenge themselves. Maybe pick a simple stage and shoot head shots only. If you know anyone that will let you borrow a swinger or any other moving target, definitely take advantage of it.

If it is at a local club, pay attention to what they are doing at matches a few months leading up to it. A lot of MD's like to use parts of their major stages in local matches to work out any bugs. You might stumble across a few things to expect.

Edited by ihocky2

I would work on realizing it is just another match. The internal pressure we can put on ourselves because we label something as a "major" will quite frequently lead to massive train wrecks. Sounds goofy but it is true. The way I practiced for this was to imagine every local I shot as the "major" and go through the exercise at make ready of reminding myself that this is just another COF. Just visualize the COF and dismiss the thoughts that come up saying "This is a big deal. Better not F up! Better shoot faster 'cause the big boys are here". By practicing this it will be ingrained in you by the time you get to the match.

I would work on realizing it is just another match.

I agree, it is just another match. I don't get worked up / stressed out.... I'm not a pro so I'm not going to get all wrapped around the axel and drive myself nuts. I was just curious about how people train. I'm still trying to fine tune my training program and I was hoping to pick up some tips to incorporate.

Thank you for the info....

If stages are published in advance, look for unusual (to you) starting conditions, procedures, movement, and target presentation. Don't let them be a surprise with no clue how to handle.

That is the same thing I do, not well but I do them, Look for something you are not used to and practice that along with the standard routine you do for every other match Roger Davis

Why should your training plan change? If you have a good plan in place, then you shouldn't have to change anything.

I never claimed to have a proper training plan... always looking for tips and advice.