Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hk 45 vs others

Overhung

I recently bought an hk45 v1.

I took it to the range today and shot about 50 rounds through it before I put it though its paces. I hought the best way to do this was to pit it against my other 45s (Springfield Trophy Match), and FNX45T with RMR07, and and shoot the IDPA classifier. I shot a couple of strings with one, and then another, and then the other in sort of random order so I wouldn't suffer from the driving range syndrome where I knock out all of the rust on the first two attempts and clean it on the third.

First impressions of the gun

It's very high bore axis but is reminiscent of the FNX that I have been shooting for about a year now so no problems.

Soft shooting even with that high bore and me shooting some supercharged hollowpoints- no hickups.

I hate - hate - hate - hate the shape of the trigger- that exaggerated 3/4 moon means lots of practice to keep me from dipping the front during speed firing.

The trigger again is similar to the FNX- but the FNX isn't so rounded.

Sites are surprisingly easy to track at speed for the most part, but I did have some flyers that I missed. Of course low.

I wish I had 12 rounds, but the 10 rounders help my home sickness for the Peoples Republic of New York.

Ok so I shot the IDPA classifier in the hottest day ever in south Louisiana at the Southern Shooting Center in Houma. I only have USPSA targets anymore and the pasters I have didn't adhere to the target all that well so compromises were made- namely pasters wouldn't hold so I did the best I could do scoring. I gave myself a reshoot if I messed up the round count or if the gun jammed. I shot the first stage as SSP (DA/SA, safety on, and the second two stages as ESP (SA/SA safety on). Overall I am impressed with the HK

Here are the scores:

_ 1911 _ FN _ HK

Raw Time _88.51_ 110.87 _ 88.36

Points Down / time _ 20/10 _ 16/08 _ 24/12

Total _ 98.51 _ 118.87 _ 100.36

Class _ Exp (CDP) _ Sharp (ESP) _ Exp (ESP)

I finished off the session with 3 x 10 Bill Drills with targets from 5 yrds, 10 yrds, 15 yards (same string) off the timer. I threw shots left on the 10 yard target.

The gun shots about 2" low at 25 so I may switch out the front sight. Now I have to see about triggers- Id like to reduce the double action.

I have been struggling with the RMR on the FN. It's not intuitive and I cannot find it as fast as I can the irons. Also after the shot is broken the glass on the RMR is so dark (even in HOUMA sun) that I cannot find the dot and I cannot align the sights until the dot comes back in view. I don't lose it every time, but I do enough.

The trophy match would have been sold off years ago- it has issues, but it runs when I roll my own- nothing but factory today. But a friend who no longer is with us sold it to me and he meant a lot. It has some extraction issues and overall neglect since I started shooting limited with my Para-40.

The FNX has some problems with the trigger sticking- I cant tell if the gun is that filty, I was riding the decoker, or I didn't let it reset.

The HK and I struggled with the trigger, and I got caught riding the safety / decocker.

I am happy with my V1. I would be orgasmic if there was a straighter trigger- like the ones offered by CZ.

• 5 months later...

I just picked an HK45 w/the LEM trigger. It was a used gun that has had the trigger worked over by Gray Guns. I've carried an LEM equipped P2000 for the last 9 years as my duty gun so I'm very familiar with the trigger. What surprised me was when I ran the HK against my STI VIP 2011 "game gun" in a local IDPA event. I wasn't just a little faster with the HK, stage for stage I was on average several seconds faster and fewer points down.

I tried this same experiment last summer with my P30L and ended up being slower so I'd stuck with the 2011. The HK45 isn't all that much larger than the P30L but it sure is easier for me to push faster. I'm going to run the HK45 hard this year and have a blast doing so. I'll update this post with my classifier times next month.

Edited by MJPLEO

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had one, and somehow could not find the proper niche for it. It was great for normal target shooting, but this is hardly a distinction today. 10 rounds is small by today's standard, and it was too large for any carry.

Basically a great tool, in search of a job.

Edited by Foxbat