Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloaded Ammo Storage

Mahlsan

Well since I broke the arm on my press today, I am believe that I will have some time to reorganize and rethink how I process and store reloaded ammo. I was wondering how others on the forum deal with this issue. I have been using plastic bins for large quantities and small 100/50 bins for actual matches. I just load them up before I go, seeing some of the man caves on here I see that others use these small storage trays in mass. I have friends that load 100 round Ziplocs and others that use the Folgers coffee jugs with handles. Just looking for new ideas while I have some time to kill while I get my press fixed, or buy a new one.

I store mine in the 100 round blue plastic boxes you get from Dillon in bulk, with a label in each box with load data. don't laugh...2 years later you open an ammo can and look at a pile of ammo and wonder what did I load this with? Avery labels are every old guys friend.

Edited by rdinga

I have only been reloading about 15 months(12K of several calibers) and I have tried quite a few options that happened to work pretty well for myself:

1. MT ammo boxes from commercial ammo picked up at the range with box and plastic trays intact. I have scads of these.

2. MidWay 50 and 100 round plastic boxes. Also use boxes you would use for spare parts to store odds and ends of pulled bullets, recovered primers, etc..

3. 30 and 50 cal ammo cans for bulk of 1000 or more of a given production lot.

4. MT coffee cans

5. Plastic boxes from WalMart to hold cleaned brass (~300 per box) that I have cleaned or reamed or what ever to keep them apart from my large cartons of clean brass ready for normal practice reloads.

• Avery labels on everything to include date; primer; bullet type(I have a coded system to keep it simple for me); and grains of loaded powder by name(TightGroup- load all now with this powder).
  • I keep a log on production that records all the specifics of measures of date, bullet, powder load, primer, OAL and crimp and any Chrono data I gather.
  • All production data gets eventually put into spread sheets specific for each caliber.

What ever floats the boat seems to best appear on the surface after you try lots of ways and find those that suit your needs best.

Since my shooting is currently done at the range only the 50 and 100 round boxes are convenient to load up, handle and easily record the ammo expenditiures, etc..

Peace,

Chuck

When I'm loading ammo I generally store it in 2 1/2 or 5 quart plastic buckets (hardware store paint section), from there it is case gauged and stored in plastic ammo cases. Each plastic case gets a label with all relevant information (brother label maker).

~g

For cleaned brass I use empty protein powder containers, resized and deprimed goes to clear bulk food containers, loaded pistol ammo in blue translucent 100 round boxes in those plastic 50 cal size ammo cans while rifle goes on stripper clips in 30 cal cans.