Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased Nickle MECGAR mags (MGP164010N) from Greg Cote alond with Springer Precision base pads. They were a tad shorter than factory mag and with the base pads they would not seat without a slam and the basepad is pressed tight against the magwell allowing no movement. I then purchased the TF Fattie magwell and TF basepad. Those both fit perfect! The clearance with the slightly shorter mag is very close, like it rubs the magwell from the force of shooting and you can see a little residue rubbing off the magwell onto the TF basepad. With the slide locked back the mag inserts smooth and freely with just a tad room to wiggle around and slight movement up n down. Perfect fit!  Fed 200 rds reliably and locked slide back after last round every time. No tuning was needed. 

EE5D1881-EE99-4CA5-A325-C952D4287638.jpeg

8B960847-1EFB-49F9-A1B5-367822B1E9DD.jpeg

0C9D39CE-E8D8-49A9-A4B9-E6998A9EF4B9.jpeg

Edited by Bmeehan19

I purchased Nickle MECGAR mags (MGP164010N) from Greg Cote alond with Springer Precision base pads. They were a tad shorter than factory mag and with the base pads they would not seat without a slam and the basepad is pressed tight against the magwell allowing no movement. I then purchased the TF Fattie magwell and TF basepad. Those both fit perfect! The clearance with the slightly shorter mag is very close, like it rubs the magwell from the force of shooting and you can see a little residue rubbing off the magwell onto the TF basepad. With the slide locked back the mag inserts smooth and freely with just a tad room to wiggle around and slight movement up n down. Perfect fit!  Fed 200 rds reliably and locked slide back after last round every time. No tuning was needed. 
EE5D1881-EE99-4CA5-A325-C952D4287638.jpeg.59d5fa24c16a7d3950ad6ae055de6e45.jpeg
8B960847-1EFB-49F9-A1B5-367822B1E9DD.jpeg.5a76a42bca0da0867fa90e1a35a5b95a.jpeg
0C9D39CE-E8D8-49A9-A4B9-E6998A9EF4B9.jpeg.0d5f1ef5dcc2db847431e23acf154441.jpeg

Good to know! I have some of the shorter mecgar mags. Hoping those will work too. Your mag setup looks nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on the 6 inch 40 project. Limited 10 just finished lightening the slide and making the barrel. Just waiting on the custom barrel to get fitted. The upper will also get a Dawson precision extended firing pin and EGW full length Tungsten guide rod.

d6b8d0d81a91e962cf7de4303faa9633.jpg

c73d4cb5e14a4463f24061aadd0683ef.jpg

4 hours ago, soulbyte said:

Good to know! I have some of the shorter mecgar mags. Hoping those will work too. Your mag setup looks nice!

Wish they’d help me shoot better!! ?

I ordered some of the MecGar MGP1416015B mags and the Taylor Freelance basepads as well as the Fattie magwell.  As stated at the Gregcote the mags hit the factory magwell.  With the new TF basepads they fit just fine with the factory magwell.  I haven't put the TF magwell on yet but it is pretty big.   Reloads should be effortless.  I'm real excited to try this set up out. 

On 5/3/2018 at 5:47 PM, xtian999 said:

I found some Remington RP9 magazines for $17.81 each at Blue Target Firearms in Ohio. Best price I have seen lately.

Update: It is the 22nd and I have not seen the mags yet. Even if they show up,  I would not do any more business with Blue Target Firearms.

My experience ordering from Blue Target Firearms sucks. They waited 3 weeks to admit that they backordered the magazines even though they showed as in stock on the website. I have asked for a refund. I don’t expect the truth to be forthcoming from Blue Target Firearms. I apologize if anyone else here ordered from them based on my info.

1 hour ago, Boot said:

Those that went with Hayes Custom, how was the experience and the pricing?

Very professional and I feel worth the money on upgrades. They take it 10 steps farther than what the RIA shop can/will do. Highly recommend them over the factory upgrading it. Pricing seems a bit steep when you see it but after having it back in my hands and shooting it. That told me I made the right decision 

• 1 month later...

Time to dive in!

I just picked up a used 9mm Tac Ultra (the full rail one) and I'm curious about a few things. So, I figured I'd ask the people who have been running them for a while!

- It seems like a new extractor is a must-have. Has that been everyone's experience?

- What spring weights have people settled on? I'll be shooting 147's at around a 131 PF if that matters.

- Any reason to not change the MSH to something that's... not plastic?

I already picked up TF basepads to use on MecGar mags. 

10 hours ago, matteekay said:

Time to dive in!

I just picked up a used 9mm Tac Ultra (the full rail one) and I'm curious about a few things. So, I figured I'd ask the people who have been running them for a while!

- It seems like a new extractor is a must-have. Has that been everyone's experience?

- What spring weights have people settled on? I'll be shooting 147's at around a 131 PF if that matters.

- Any reason to not change the MSH to something that's... not plastic?

I already picked up TF basepads to use on MecGar mags. 

Yes. Replace the extractor and retune     I’m also shooting 147 around the same PF. And if I remember correctly I’m running an11lb spring 

• 2 weeks later...

Should have my HI Cap from Hayes Customs soon. Bought brand new, unmodified Remington double stack mags for it as per the recommendation from Ben Hayes. Will be posting a review on it once I get about 500 - 1k rounds through it. Note: This gun went from Rock Island factory directly to Hayes Custom, so no previous tinkering or shooting done prior to getting the HCG package. I'll be comparing it to the DVC 3-Gun, get trigger pull weight, etc.

Got my Wilson extractor today. It is going to need a LOT of work to get it to fit. It doesn’t drop all the way into the tunnel and stops about 1/16” short of allowing the firing pin stop from sliding into place.

I guess my only option is to file down the “shoulder” of the extractor until it slides all the way in?

That's odd, mine fit in but the rear stuck out the slide about 1/8th inch and had to be filed flush. I've had to file on the stop plate to get a good fit, are you sure the extractor is not going in all the way, they should be pretty snug.

Edited by Talon75