Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

Follow up on the mags.

DldGEtg.jpg?1

The blued mag on the left is the (presumably) unmodified factory mag, the middle is a mag assembled by the previous owner, and on the right is a mag that I put together after buying the gun. Seems like there has been material removed from the feed lips. I got the gun with the original blued factory mag and two silver ones, and then I went and built 2 additional ones. I used MecGar tubes from Greg Cote, and all five mags say "MG P16-40" on them so I assume they're all MecGar. All of the mags measure around 0.355 -  0.360 wide at the front of the feed lips, and 0.360 -  0.365 at the rear.

My question is, did any of you other guys with .40 doublestacks have to relieve the mag feed lips as such? If yes, is there a template/measurements available in a post or FAQ somewhere that you know of, or should I just relieve the front of the lips a little at a time?

Edited by thormx538

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it running finally. The MecGar Para mags from Greg Cote need to be modified to match the factory profile where the feed lips are approximately 0.500" long. I also put a Wilson extractor in and had to take a lot more material than I was expecting off of the feed edge, but I put about 360rds through it today with no issues at all.

I tried out the Remington and RIA magazines with Arredondo extensions last night.  I am now able to fit 22 rounds into the Remington magazines, and they ran without a hitch. 

I'm still at 21 with the RIA.  And the RIA won't fit into the gun when it's full.  Downloading it to 10 and it works.  I'll have to switch out the magazine extension to the original. 

2 hours ago, jrswanson1 said:

I tried out the Remington and RIA magazines with Arredondo extensions last night.  I am now able to fit 22 rounds into the Remington magazines, and they ran without a hitch. 

I'm still at 21 with the RIA.  And the RIA won't fit into the gun when it's full.  Downloading it to 10 and it works.  I'll have to switch out the magazine extension to the original. 

Was that with the stock follower and spring in them Remington mags?

10 hours ago, jrswanson1 said:

What Arredondo extensions did you use. I only see the STI version listed. 

23 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

Was that with the stock follower and spring in them Remington mags?

Stock spring, Arredondo follower.

15 hours ago, hump said:

What Arredondo extensions did you use. I only see the STI version listed. 

https://www.arredondoaccessories.com/collections/base-pads/products/base-pads-with-inserts?variant=30284779213

Sorry if this horse has been thoroughly beaten.   Am I to understand that the Remington RP9 9mm magazine will fit the RIA double-stack 9mm semi auto, and that the Arredondo 38s/40 follower and extension will work with it to make it a 20+ round magazine for the gun?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by SkiSoloII
Confirm caliber usage

18 hours ago, SkiSoloII said:

Sorry if this horse has been thoroughly beaten.   Am I to understand that the Remington RP9 9mm magazine will fit the RIA double-stack 9mm semi auto, and that the Arredondo 38s/40 follower and extension will work with it to make it a 20+ round magazine for the gun?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes and yes.

I think the MBX are $120.  I have Canadian Para mags for both the. 40  and 9mm with Dawson basepads and the Fattie magwell.  If you can find them you are looking at $70-90 rebuilt.  SPS mags run about $75 new.  Act mags work with the Dawson bases available in 40 only.

So I have followed this thread for probably two years now and am still running into problems with magazines.

I have Dawson tool less pads that i have modified to lock in the gun and drop free no problem, but with these pads and an Arredondo insert that has been modified I can only get 17 rounds into each mag. The spring doesn't feel like it's starting to get tight on the rounds up to this point, it just locks up solid and will not accept another round. My factory mag with the wedge pad will fit 18 so you can see why this is disappointing. I am using the Arredondo extended spring and the stock follower if this makes a difference, but I do have Arredondo followers on the way to try as well. 

I have RP9 mags and the Arredondo base pads with inserts coming as referenced above and am hoping for 21-22 rounds, but would at least like to get these current mags to 19-20. 

Any advice or tricks to get these to work would be appreciated.

Thanks for the tip, but I have tried losing the insert and they salt shaker every time past 18 rounds, which only gains me one reliably. I did think about trimming the inserts shorter than the ribs on the magazine body though. My thinking was that the "fingers" on the insert are hitting the ribs bending them inward which is catching either the spring or follower. I had a Glock magazine that had the spring catching the insert in the base pad that once corrected allowed me two more rounds. Might be worth a try and worst I do is ruin a 7 dollar insert.

Does anybody know if the SV/ STI Dawson basepads will fit the para/mecgar mags?  I realize they usually have pads for Para only, but just not familiar with the difference if there is one. With the Dawson Para pads being out of stock I guess the Arredondo's would be a decent choice( actually the only other choice I can find), just wonder how well they hold up. Thanks

7 hours ago, Talon75 said:

Does anybody know if the SV/ STI Dawson basepads will fit the para/mecgar mags?  I realize they usually have pads for Para only, but just not familiar with the difference if there is one. With the Dawson Para pads being out of stock I guess the Arredondo's would be a decent choice( actually the only other choice I can find), just wonder how well they hold up. Thanks

I was told by Dawson that the Para style pads were discontinued permanently. 

On 10/10/2017 at 8:39 AM, hump said:

I was told by Dawson that the Para style pads were discontinued permanently. 

Thats too bad.

So Arredondo is the only option left for base pads it seems.

Does anyone know if the Arredondos offer the same capacity as the Dawsons?

4 hours ago, thormx538 said:

Thats too bad.

So Arredondo is the only option left for base pads it seems.

Does anyone know if the Arredondos offer the same capacity as the Dawsons?

I will know when my Arrendondo pads arrive later today. 

I just received the Arredondo pads today and tried them and am stuck at 19. I did use the insert and have an extra power spring that is almost new though. This is the same thing I have finally got my Dawson pads to load to after further modifying the insert. These pads will also not lock in my gun without modification with the factory magwell. My RP9 mag bodies should be here tomorrow and I will update capacities on them as well. 

I got the Arredondo pads today and get 21 rounds of 9mm and 18 rounds of 40 cal. I called Arredondo and confirmed this is correct. 

Basically you get one less round than the Dawson pads. 

15 hours ago, hump said:

I got the Arredondo pads today and get 21 rounds of 9mm and 18 rounds of 40 cal. I called Arredondo and confirmed this is correct. 

Basically you get one less round than the Dawson pads. 

Dang, that's too bad. Thanks.

Edited by thormx538

Which Arredondo pads are you using for 9mm P-18/RP9 mags ?

Also for those with the RP9 mags what’s the chance I could get one of you to give a length measurement from top of feed lip to the bottom minus the base pad ? 

Edited by usmc90