Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

1 hour ago, jrswanson1 said:

I tried emptying the magazine with the extension on it and the follower got stuck in the extension.  I'm going to swap out the stock follower for one that works with the extension and see if it still sticks when I get home tonight.

Do you have an Arredondo insert to try as well?  With the factory Mecgar mag I needed one with both the stock and aftermarket follower installed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

Do you have an Arredondo insert to try as well?  With the factory Mecgar mag I needed one with both the stock and aftermarket follower installed.

I didn't get the Arredondo follower because the followers from the 15-round Mecgar mags worked with the extension.  I'm going to be spending some coin with them when they get the extensions back in stock.

10 minutes ago, jrswanson1 said:

I didn't get the Arredondo follower because the followers from the 15-round Mecgar mags worked with the extension.  I'm going to be spending some coin with them when they get the extensions back in stock.

Not the follower, but the insert.  It bridges the gap between the bottom of the magazine and the extension.  Mine would not function without them, both the stock and Arredondo follower would hang up without them.  Basepad Insert for Arredondo Para HiCap Basepads by Arredondo

Edited by 1981Shooter

2 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

Not the follower, but the insert.  It bridges the gap between the bottom of the magazine and the extension.  Mine would not function without them, both the stock and Arredondo follower would hang up without them.  Basepad Insert for Arredondo Para HiCap Basepads by Arredondo

I didn't get those, either.  They weren't necessary for the 40 mags, which is what I got the extensions for. 

I've got 5 magazines so far; all are Mec-Gar, 1, 22TCM, and 4 P-18 38 Super. Replaced the base plates on the P-18s with Dawson bases. They all function, except they don't reliably hold the slide back after the last round. The 22TCM holds 17 rounds, but has never held the slide back after the last round. The P-18s only hold 16 rounds (even the one that came with the pistol), and are 50/50 on holding the slide back after the last round.

Are the RP9 mags any longer than the factory mags ? I have one factory and 5 of the nickel Mec-Gar p18 mags  then bought the Dawson base pads and none fit into the factory magwell also bought a TF  widebody magwell to try and no luck with that either 

OK, so who makes magazine pouches to fit these Para-Ord. P18 mags? Since they are 38 Super magazines, they wont fit in 9mm mag pouches/carriers.

I use Ghost 360 pouches, and they work great. That's a huge part of why I like them. Getting ready for a match and it doesn't matter whether it's 3 Gun, USPSA production or a random gun for Steel Challenge; chances are those Ghost pouches will run it.

Do these work?   https://www.arredondoaccessories.com/collections/base-pads/products/base-pads-with-inserts?variant=30284779213

It seems like they're bundling the base pads with the inserts.
Does anyone have experience with these? I'm looking to put together a couple of backup mags and don't have the scratch to go full Dawson. What is the capacity for the Arredondo extensions on the MecGar mags?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jclaypool said:

Does anyone have experience with these? I'm looking to put together a couple of backup mags and don't have the scratch to go full Dawson. What is the capacity for the Arredondo extensions on the MecGar mags?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BTW, I had to phone in the order because their web site isn't quite right.  I've used the Arrendondo, now that I think about it.  But that was with P16-40 magazines.

I hit the range Saturday for some more testing of the Remington magazines.  I was using Winchester steel cased, since I didn't feel like chasing brass.  A couple of the magazines didn't cycle the last round, the slide locked back with one round in them.  The cartridge was about haflway out of the magazine.  I'm blaming the steel cases on this. 

14 hours ago, jrswanson1 said:

I hit the range Saturday for some more testing of the Remington magazines.  I was using Winchester steel cased, since I didn't feel like chasing brass.  A couple of the magazines didn't cycle the last round, the slide locked back with one round in them.  The cartridge was about haflway out of the magazine.  I'm blaming the steel cases on this. 

I'm going to modify the follower on one of RP9 magazines to try and correct the last round feeding.  I'll post the results, put I'm not going to be able to get to the range for a couple of days.

9 hours ago, only1asterisk said:

I'm going to modify the follower on one of RP9 magazines to try and correct the last round feeding.  I'll post the results, put I'm not going to be able to get to the range for a couple of days.

I got followers and base pads from Arredondo yesterday.  I will be testing them on the Remington and RIA magazines some time this week.  With these pads and followers, I'm getting 21 rounds in the magazines. 

I've given up on my experiments with STI mags in my RIA 40SW double stack, and gone back to the MG tubes with Arredondo guts and Dawson basepads. I finally figured out the trick of trimming the insert to keep the spring from binding, and I can get 20rds in all four mags now.

However, I'm having intermittent feed issues now, where the round isn't inserted fully into battery, forcing me to drop the mag and rack the slide.

I checked the extractor, and it seems to be beveled everything, and the tension seemed fine (did the "shake test" with a round and it held on), but it has been filed on by the previous owner and I don't have enough experience with tuning extractors to know if it has been filed too much. I ordered a WC 9mm replacement one.

Does anyone know the target feed lip dimensions for these mags? Do I just tune them to STI dimensions as far as width at the front and rear?

Also, could a Shok Buff have an impact on my feed issues, or would that manifest itself more as a short stroke?