Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

If I loaded it to capacity, 20 rounds, I'd get 4-6 rounds off and then start having FTE's and/or double feeds.  It cycled factory ammo and my reloads that are tuned for my G34 fine though.  I need to get the Arredondo follower and try that out with the extended spring that I already have that didn't fit with the factory follower.

Does yours have a ramped barrel?

On 8/19/2017 at 11:06 AM, 1981Shooter said:

As I previously said, I bought these parts and the basepad and insert fit, but the extended spring didn't work with the factory follower and the factory spring/follower combo didn't feed reliably with the Dawson basepad and insert installed.  So I ordered the Arredondo follower (Arredondo Follower For Para 1911,HiCap) from Dawson and installed it along with the extended spring.  Ran a couple mags threw the gun yesterday and didn't have any issues.  Even with the new follower and spring, I can only get 19 reloadable and 20 max.  Hopefully the spring settles a little.  For $80 a mag, cost of mag plus the Dawson and Arredondo parts, I'd like to get more than 19 rounds.

Edited by 1981Shooter

On 7/24/2017 at 10:09 AM, usmc1094 said:

I don't think they will work with the magwell, but if anyone is looking for these mags this is the cheapest I've found.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/remington-magazine-rp9-9mm-17rd-rt17743f.html

These are on sale now, $14.99 each.  I just ordered 3 for my 51947.  Looking for a holster now.

19 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

As I previously said, I bought these parts and the basepad and insert fit, but the extended spring didn't work with the factory follower and the factory spring/follower combo didn't feed reliably with the Dawson basepad and insert installed.  So I ordered the Arredondo follower (Arredondo Follower For Para 1911,HiCap) from Dawson and installed it along with the extended spring.  Ran a couple mags threw the gun yesterday and didn't have any issues.  Even with the new follower and spring, I can only get 19 reloadable and 20 max.  Hopefully the spring settles a little.  For $80 a mag, cost of mag plus the Dawson and Arredondo parts, I'd like to get more than 19 rounds.

I ordered the Arredondo extension for my 16 round Mecgar P16-40 mags.  With the basepad installed, it caused problems.  When I took out the basepad and used the followers from my Mecgar 15 round mags, it was like buttah.  The sharp edge on the back/bottom of the original followers hung up on the lip of the magazine extension. 

Is there a difference in the feed ramps between the 9mm/22TCM 1911 and the straight up 9mm RI high cap 1911?

I was test firing the 9mm/22TCM 1911 yesterday and the bullet tips were hitting the bottom of the barrel causing a stoppage.

When the pistol functioned, it was great, but the unreliability just turned me off to the thing. If the regular 9mm has a different ramp, and was reliable then I could jump on a 17 rd 1911.

7 hours ago, BeltFed said:

Is there a difference in the feed ramps between the 9mm/22TCM 1911 and the straight up 9mm RI high cap 1911?

I was test firing the 9mm/22TCM 1911 yesterday and the bullet tips were hitting the bottom of the barrel causing a stoppage.

When the pistol functioned, it was great, but the unreliability just turned me off to the thing. If the regular 9mm has a different ramp, and was reliable then I could jump on a 17 rd 1911.

There are some previous posts in this thread about the magazines that come with the combo model having the feed lips being slightly narrower in the front vs the back.  With them being narrower in the front, they can cause nosedive issues.  Search for "feed lips" in this thread and you'll find the details.

20 hours ago, BeltFed said:

I was futzing with snap caps in my 9mm/22TCM with the "17" round mags, using the magazine that came with it and some of my P16-40 mags.  I can actually fit 19 rounds in the Armsor mag, 17 in the 15 round, flat bottomed Para mags, and 22 in the Para mag with extension.  I had issues with the 9mm Armscor mag, but not with the 40 mags.  I'm still waiting on PSA to ship the magazines I ordered, but it looks like I can use my Para mags for the break in this week.

Separate question.  I have a Bladetech holster I use for my P16-40 Limited that was designed for the STI Eagle.  My 9mm/TCM doesn't fit, can't even get it past the mouth of the holster.  Bladetech told me that they don't make a holster for this pistol yet.  Who else makes one?

22 hours ago, BeltFed said:

I looked at a new 1911A2 9mm/22TCM yesterday, and both barrels had on them instead of a ramp on the frame, and none on the barrel like the used 1911A2 9mm/22TCM that I had shot. Looked like that may solve the problem.

6 hours ago, jrswanson1 said:

Separate question.  I have a Bladetech holster I use for my P16-40 Limited that was designed for the STI Eagle.  My 9mm/TCM doesn't fit, can't even get it past the mouth of the holster.  Bladetech told me that they don't make a holster for this pistol yet.  Who else makes one?

Mine fits in my Safariland that was meant for my G34....I did need to trim for the safeties to fit. I'll take some pics when I get home.

Edited by usmc1094

On 8/28/2017 at 10:42 PM, only1asterisk said:

I bought 5 and they are excellent.  If somebody could try out different basepads on them I'd be real curious as to the results.

I'd like to but mine haven't even shipped yet <_<

I have had a 9mm version of this gun for a couple of years now and was running the Dawson tool less pads on the mags with success, but now I am not able to find them for the para style mags. Does anyone know if these have been discontinued and if so what pads are you using on factory tubes? How many rounds are you getting reloadable? Are MBX mags worth the coin? 

I think dawson is making them still. A friend just bought 2 last month after they had been out of stock for a while.  I'm pretty sure he takes them off the site if he doesn't have any on hand. Shoot him an email, he's normally pretty good at getting back to you. 

I took my 9mm out Friday for the break-in.  I ran 400 rounds of Winchester Forged 9mm through it, plus some of my reloads.  I used the one 9mm magazine it came with, and five of my Mecgar 40 mags for the Para.  I could get 22 rounds into the Para mag with tool less extension, but it didn't work right with more than 20 rounds in it.  The extended Para mag was the only hiccup.  Muzzle flip was pretty high with the flat bottomed Para mags, but the 9mm Armscor mag and the mag with the extension had much lower muzzle flip. 

Does anyone know for sure what the recoil spring weight is for the 9mm spring?  When I was reassembling the pistol, it felt like 20 pounds.