Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, soulbyte said:

So she’s done for now. Now looking into different finished and ceracote color schemes. Limited10 bull barrel in 40sw runs good but took a lot of fitting and finessing into the RIA 6 inch 10mm slide. Installed an Aftec extractor that took a while for me to tune as well. Runs reliably now. Really like the nitro fin. Going to install the Dawson front site after ceracote. Thinking greys, darker and lighter combos with pewter tint.

41401ccd5393431c072e6b9ca47ff0c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one heck of a hand cannon!

Thanks guys, I’m very happy with the way it shoots as well. It’s well balanced with the fulcrum point just ahead of the trigger ( with no mag) within the trigger guard. The tungsten guide rod helps a lot with my load, it’s a bit pricey but fully recommend it with these guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My RP9 mags work, but I had to remove a small amount of plastic material on the followers where they were contacting the slide lock button inside the frame. After that, the last round in the mags would feed almost every time. Not a bad deal if you can find RP9 mags for less than $20.00.

Went all out with the HCG package. Shoots great, not a single issue with Remington double stack magazines (left them factory) I've only put about 1000 rounds through it so far since my focus has been on open but I have zero complaints. The only thing I want to change out is the factory safety.6bf03034598c9a0dc455fcbbd8dc4052.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm using Remington R1 mags with Taylor Freelance basepads and I just switched to DAA followers and springs and I noticed the very last round will not load. It does this with my stock mag also. Anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Patrellice said:

Nice..will get one soon. Expecting some upgrades from factory defaults, what are the parts (not the major ones) i may replace to makes it work better? Thanks in advance.

Lots of great info in this thread, but the big one seems to be the extractor. Not a huge surprise there as it's a 1911-based platform. I fit a Wilson stainless one and tuned the stock one and wound up sticking with the latter.

I find RIA's safeties to be really sharp so I round them off and polish the sides (you could also fit a new one) but that's not really an operational thing...

Mag tuning, as always. The MecGars seem pretty solid from the factory and didn't flinch when I added the Taylor Freelance basepads. I can fit 22 (stiff) reloadable, but I usually run 22+1 at the line and reload with 21 rounders. 

On 10/29/2018 at 12:51 PM, matteekay said:

I find RIA's safeties to be really sharp so I round them off and polish the sides (you could also fit a new one) but that's not really an operational thing...

I had an ed brown wide ambi fit to mine and the right side shaved down to fit my hands better. Its my favorite upgrade on the gun. I hated the stock safties and now I have a large comfortable shelf for my thumb =).

On 10/22/2018 at 8:21 PM, Eric_45 said:

Nice work soulbyte.

Btw, what make 40 barrel did you go with?

I picked up the 5" 10mm this past weekend, great shooter so far (200rds).

Thank you! I went with the limited10 cone barrel. Very happy with it but it took a lot of fitting.

Edited by soulbyte

On 10/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, mdriskell said:

I'm using Remington R1 mags with Taylor Freelance basepads and I just switched to DAA followers and springs and I noticed the very last round will not load. It does this with my stock mag also. Anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Check the inside of the slide release where it contacts the mag follower. There is a little flat shoulder on the follower. If the follower is hitting too soon, it locks the slide before the last round.  I trim down the follower with a sharp blade in small increments until it engages after the last round. Usually about 2-3mm of material. I have never trimmed too much yet, but the part is replaceable anyway. 

I have done 9 Remington RP9 mags that way and they all work fine now. 

Edited by xtian999
treadmill

Went all out with the HCG package. Shoots great, not a single issue with Remington double stack magazines (left them factory) I've only put about 1000 rounds through it so far since my focus has been on open but I have zero complaints. The only thing I want to change out is the factory safety.6bf03034598c9a0dc455fcbbd8dc4052.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That turned out excellent! Do you mind sharing what you are into it for?

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, jclaypool said:

That turned out excellent! Do you mind sharing what you are into it for?

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Sure thing

Pistol: $609

HCG Package: $1000

I added a wilson combat extended safety after this picture was taken as I'm not a fan of the factory ones at all.