Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

That's the confusing part. It looks like it should fit, but even a few taps with a rubber mallet won't sink it in any deeper.

You're right about the rear. Even if it seated, there would still be a good chunk to file off.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it to go. Needed a bunch of coercion (and some, ah, gentle tapping) but it's working in and out easier now that I've done it a few times. 

Next will be filing down the back side and then tuning. 

They don't need to be covered, been shooting mine all year without grips and the trigger bow don't seem to know the difference. I use Talon rubberized grip tape, might try some skateboard style soon.

That's not welded, just ground down trying to make it more comfortable to get on the trigger. Been thinking of doing a rusty cerakote, kinda like a rat rod would be. Could probably use some more grip tape, this used to lay under the grips then one day I decided to try it without grips and have been that way since.

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like the Taylor Freelance magwell is the only one on the market for these. Those of you who have installed one - what are your thoughts? Must-have upgrade? My only hang-ups with it are that it looks like it's huge and I don't know if it will work with the Springer basepads I have on half my mags (the other ones have TF basepads).

21 hours ago, matteekay said:

It looks like the Taylor Freelance magwell is the only one on the market for these. Those of you who have installed one - what are your thoughts? Must-have upgrade? My only hang-ups with it are that it looks like it's huge and I don't know if it will work with the Springer basepads I have on half my mags (the other ones have TF basepads).

It is big.  I have one on mine  They do allow the SP base pads to fit but unfortunately those base pads recess too far inside the magwell to seat easily. But they will seat and function. I had/have the Springer pads but ended up replacing them with the TF pads simply because they work better with the TF magwell 

22 minutes ago, usmc90 said:

It is big.  I have one on mine  They do allow the SP base pads to fit but unfortunately those base pads recess too far inside the magwell to seat easily. But they will seat and function. I had/have the Springer pads but ended up replacing them with the TF pads simply because they work better with the TF magwell 

I avoided the whole basepad issue by buying the MBX 140mm mags.  

Thanks for the input!

I think I’m going to try opening up the factory magwell’s funnel a touch first. I can always switch to the TF if I don’t like the results (or I destroy it (which is known to happen)).

Had an hour in the garage last night. I rounded all the edges on the magwell opening, added some beveling, and gave it a rough polish. I like it enough to stick with it for a while, at least.

43250674435_33889b6fc3_c.jpg

43251031985_3e4c6220ec_c.jpg

Here's how it started...

30289624348_6ef0a1c3bf_c.jpg

I'm running RP9 (Remington) mags with Taylor Freelance extensions on my RIA. It seems like the follower gets stuck at the bottom of the magazine when filled to 22 round capacity. The basepads came with the Arrendondo inserts (which I thought was to prevent this) but I'm not sure what needs to be corrected to allow 22 rounds. They fit, they don't feed. 20 rounds are perfectly fine (from what I've seen so far). Any others having these issues? 

48 minutes ago, mdriskell said:

I'm running RP9 (Remington) mags with Taylor Freelance extensions on my RIA. It seems like the follower gets stuck at the bottom of the magazine when filled to 22 round capacity. The basepads came with the Arrendondo inserts (which I thought was to prevent this) but I'm not sure what needs to be corrected to allow 22 rounds. They fit, they don't feed. 20 rounds are perfectly fine (from what I've seen so far). Any others having these issues? 

Running mecgar mags and the TF base pads I get 21 reliable running rounds