Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who else is using a Redding Competition Seating Die for 9mm?

rdinga

Based on this thread, I've bought one for my 550b. Anything I should be aware of in the dept of tips/tricks for this die? It will be replacing a stock Dillon 9mm seater.

I use the supplied lock ring on the top of the die and a Dillon lock ring on the bottom of the die to make sure it will never move.

Next I set the die on 1.000 and use the supplied hex wrench to set the seating depth (as opposed to the micrometer) to match my favorite OAL for that caliber. (Basically you calibrate this die using an OAL in the middle of what you would expect to load.)

Now I have a seating die that's locked in place. With the micrometer set at 1.0 it's ready for my PET load and the micrometer has plenty of range to go little shorter or longer.

Makes experimenting with different bullet makers and/or different size/shape bullets much simpler.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use them every caliber I load including for .556 & 9mm and they work great on my 650.

I find the variances are operator induced with pressure at the bottom of the stroke and in variance in the de-prime cases. You do have to watch which plunger you choose. Try each and see which works best.

My Redding competition seating die only came with one "plunger". I thought that was the point of the spring design...am I missing something?

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

No my mis-speak sorry I was thinking of a different die. The Redding uses the Ogive.

What does "Production or Open" have to do with using the Redding Comp Die?

Production guns have fairly loose chambers in general, so less chance the gun will be finicky about oal.

Plus it is minor by definition, so no need to worry about getting up to major pf, where the difference between making pf, and making an unsafe load can be slim.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got mine in. I'm having a serious time getting it to spit out consistent OAL!!! Target is 1.165 and I keep getting rounds come out from 1.135 to 1.180. WTH?????

That's pretty bad. I would reach out to Redding and make sure you don't have a defective die. I am thinking something else is causing such a large deviation. Someone smarter than me might have a better idea on what troubleshooting steps you need to take, including Redding support. They were very helpful when I called them about issues I was having with a sizing die.

I am not recommending this will solve your problem. Once you get things worked out and have a OAL with a +/- .003 deviation, the item below might be able to get the deviation even tighter. I have not used it but the concept seems sound and I would imagine someone on this forum has used it. I am happy with +/-.003.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1230

I'm crimping a fair amount for the packs open rounds, but that's a ton of variance based on crimp level. I measured the seat before the crimp station for 20 rounds and the variance was the same. Not at all making sense....

• 2 weeks later...

Noximus03,

Are you still having the OAL issue with the 9mmCSD?

I also purchased the 9mm CSD and are getting OAL did you get this solved and if so, what was your issue?

I am seating for 1.125 and I am seeing 1.124 to 1.131 but the more I loaded the more it setted to like 1.127 and 1.131

I dialed down to 1.125 and still moving up and down by 0.006

looking for input

Thanks

Tom

SW39

Do you mean +/- .003 off your target 1.125?

That is a pretty tight tolerance considering it is more based on bullet consistency and case 'springyness' than the CSD.

Do you think that 10 cent bullets are holding a dead on ogive dimension? or tip dimension? (depending on

where the seating die stem meets the bullet). JHP are the worst for tip dimensions both before and after seating.

Anyway, the only critical dimension is where the bullet hits the rifling and the jump distance into the

rifling. But that varies with each barrel. I've got 3 barrels for my M&P Core and they all have a different freebore dimensions.

All considered, I wouldn't worry much until you're over +/- .005

High power riflemen use a ogive fixture that mounts on their caliper to measure from a fixed point on the bullet and

even high end match bullets show variations since oal isn't really than important

I use Redding Competition Seating Dies on all 7 of my loads 9mm - 308win and highly value them

PS you do realize your caliper can only read +/- .001?

I talked with Chris over at Redding. He ask some specific questions, and I gave him specific answers. He suggested that I remove the spring in the die and run a batch without it. Completely solved my issues. Through 500 rounds, my variance is +- .004. I'm gonna call my issue closed. Thanks for all the input and help.

SW39

Do you mean +/- .003 off your target 1.125?

That is a pretty tight tolerance considering it is more based on bullet consistency and case 'springyness' than the CSD.

Do you think that 10 cent bullets are holding a dead on ogive dimension? or tip dimension? (depending on

where the seating die stem meets the bullet). JHP are the worst for tip dimensions both before and after seating.

Anyway, the only critical dimension is where the bullet hits the rifling and the jump distance into the

rifling. But that varies with each barrel. I've got 3 barrels for my M&P Core and they all have a different freebore dimensions.

All considered, I wouldn't worry much until you're over +/- .005

High power riflemen use a ogive fixture that mounts on their caliper to measure from a fixed point on the bullet and

even high end match bullets show variations since oal isn't really than important

I use Redding Competition Seating Dies on all 7 of my loads 9mm - 308win and highly value them

PS you do realize your caliper can only read +/- .001?

Thanks for the reply Trubor,

My goal was to set at 1.125 OAL, I had a fluxuation of .001 with the fixed Dillion Die which to change to load 115gr & 124gr seemed a pain so that is why I purchased the CSD.

I figured how great to dial between the (2) OAL I need without using a wrench with the Micrometer.

You are correct with the +/- .001 on the caliper, I have about 5 sets ranging from analog to digital because of my work, but my flux range was between 1.1245 & 1.1310 pushing over .006 and I was trying to stay within .002.

If you are telling me .003 is a good hit range I will defer to you all since my range of knowledge here is one of a rookie by far with working with varying loads.

The difference does hit me directly because at 1.1295 the front of the bullet meets the barrel, which is why when I went over 1.1275 I started to do my additional research and found this tread.

I also sent an e-mail and then called Redding directly, they were a great source of information and help. As they did tell me to also pull the spring.

As you noted, the different manufactures of the bullets have different dies within a batch, so the contact point of the seating of the die is an issue I am looking at now also.

I pulled the Dillion die seater out and compared it to the seating cavity in the redding die also. The seating cavities are different with the redding deffinitly more tight which is why along with the spring I think I am getting the variation.

I am going to run a batch without the spring and if I can get the range below .004 then I will call it done.

Otherwise my other thought was to spin a test insert on the lathe with a cavity more inline with the nose on the (2) bullets I am currelty loading.

With the twist out top it's an easy swapout.

I was thinking of making drop in seaters for the dillion before I changed to the Redding CSD

Thanks for all the great input I will let you know how it pans out.

Tom

Edited by SW39

I talked with Chris over at Redding. He ask some specific questions, and I gave him specific answers. He suggested that I remove the spring in the die and run a batch without it. Completely solved my issues. Through 500 rounds, my variance is +- .004. I'm gonna call my issue closed. Thanks for all the input and help.

Noximus03

Thanks for the update and the confirmation on the spring