Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who else is using a Redding Competition Seating Die for 9mm?

rdinga

I use a Redding Competition seating die in all my rifle calibers and .45. Finally got tired of the all the nipples on my X-Treme 147 reloads on the square deal and ordered a Competition seating die for the 550.

Who else is using the Redding die for 9mm?

I am curious to compare my reloads on the Square Deal and the 550 using different dies, Arrendondo powder drop with micrometer, and other enhancements with all of the components being the same.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using the Redding Competition die for three years. I would not imagine using anything else. It works correctly, accurately, and is very well made. I just started using their Final Crimp competition die as well. Works perfect.

Use the dillon de-prime and resize die, and the Mr Bullet Feeder powder expansion die.

Maybe overkill, but better safe then sorry. I like them.

Oh ! Forgot I load on Dillon Super 1050 w/auto drive. Love it.

:cheers:

Using all Redding dies for 9mm in the XL650 including the micrometer seating and crimp dies. IMO, the micrometer dies are worth the additional cost; especially when changing bullet profiles and/or brass headstamps. Once the exact mic settings are established, repeatability is a simple adjustment.

Sizing is excellent with the competition sizing die; but does require perfect alignment of the case insertion/shell plate indexing. Still get the occasional mis-alignment which causes the brass to catch on bottom of die........

Have heard others experience the same with EGW undersize die.

I use them every caliber I load including for .556 & 9mm and they work great on my 650.

I find the variances are operator induced with pressure at the bottom of the stroke and in variance in the de-prime cases. You do have to watch which plunger you choose. Try each and see which works best.

Edited by Trident

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Competition Seater die for 9mm, 45 and 223 and love it. I tried using the Redding Titanium Carbide with 9mm but it would leave a ring at the base and was less forgiving with alignment on my 550. I went back to the Dillon sizing die.

I've been loading for 24 years and used the Redding Comp for 9x19, 45acp, 223 and 308 for over a decade. The Redding Comp pistol seating dies are pretty simple. Not much to watch for except cleaning the lube out after you load lead bullets.

I modify my 550B's tool head to 'float' sizing and seating dies to allow more concentric rounds. But I could never get 100% perfectly straight loaded rounds no matter how careful I was.

As a side note,

Recently I discovered Xtreme bullets loaded with Dillon dies have reduced diameter and damaged bullet bases when pulled. Accuracy was horrible. I read some posts here and studied some of my friend's Hornady dies loaded rounds. Now I use Hornady New Dimension dies. I like the way the sizer is actually tapered as 9x19 should. I like the way the seater has an alignment sleeve to help straighten bullet alignment in the seating process. But it still doesn't seat straight 100%, especially with lead bullets.

After studying the Redding Comp seater, I added a spring in the Hornady seater to keep sleeve down which forces the bullet to line up in the sleeve and supports the case mouth. Now I have 100% straight ammo. I'll report back when I have Ransom results.