Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165's for 9mm ?

fireman489

I had a round using range brass this past match that jammed in my gun. Since, I have a case gauge on order but back on subject, the 160s that I'm loading hit something inside the case and expanded it enough to cause a major malfunction. It's not going to get me to stop using the load, but I will gauge all of my competition ammo from now on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone dared to try Clays with this bullet?

I decided to be the crazy one and try it. Or at least the only dummy to admit to it. I loaded 2.8gr under Xtreme 165's with an OAL of 1.155". They were some of the softest shooting rounds I've ever fired. I only loaded 15 but I'll make some more and send them over the Chrono later in the week. I'm guessing they'll make 128-130PF. Below is a pic of some the brass from those loads. I don't see any pressure signs but please tell me if I'm wrong. It was 65 degrees outside when those were fired from my VP9.

23jliyq.jpg

I loaded some up this last week with Clays. Started with 2.9 grn in my test load. They were very soft shooting, but cycled my CZ SP01 just fine. For my match I shot the next day, I went to 3.0 grn, and loaded at 1.155 O.A.L. That is pretty much the same load I use in my revolver and it makes 131pf. Will try and chrono sometime this week and update.

I've been loading the 165 grain XTreme bullets for local USPSA matches, and so far after 1000 of them I haven't had any issues that weren't my own fault (not pressing the primer in hard enough on some tight primer pockets). I'm shooting a 5" M&P Pro with the Apex barrel.

I've been going with:

2.6 grains of Titegroup

1.165" OAL

I shot 30 rounds offhand at 25 yards to test accuracy, and I had 29 in the A, with one just missing in the C box. I might need to tweak it for bullseye shooting (or maybe my hands need to be more steady!), but it's plenty accurate for USPSA and it's got an extremely soft recoil allowing for easy follow up shots. They cycle and feed just fine. I started having feed issues around 1.175" and above, so this is probably about as long as I'd want to set it to in order to leave some room for length variations round to round.

As a bonus, since it barely uses any powder, I can load over 2,500 rounds with just one pound of powder!

Won't be ordering 165's from Xtreme; neighbor sent me these pictures.

IMG_20160527_100530_zpsyxaszlke.jpg

20160606_165817_zpsmlgwxa0g.jpg

20160606_170137_zpsd6veoij3.jpg

Have him contact Xtreme, they have very good customer service and will make it right. I have used a lot of their bullets and never had anything like that.

Won't be ordering 165's from Xtreme; neighbor sent me these pictures.

IMG_20160527_100530_zpsyxaszlke.jpg

20160606_165817_zpsmlgwxa0g.jpg

20160606_170137_zpsd6veoij3.jpg

Have him contact Xtreme, they have very good customer service and will make it right. I have used a lot of their bullets and never had anything like that.

If it is an Xtreme's issue.....

It is best IMO to contact manufacturer then post with outcome versus trashing a manufacturer on a forum.

More 165s for me☺

I have loaded over 5000, probably closer to 10,000, 165gr 9mm Xtreme's and have never seen any quality issues with the bullets.

If it is an Xtreme's issue.....

It is best IMO to contact manufacturer then post with outcome versus trashing a manufacturer on a forum.

More 165s for me☺

it's the TJART (oops I mean "ARy") way. like the time he started filing on his CGW disconector before checking to see if it fit his gun first... That one was apparently CGW's fault too for stating their parts require fitting. :blink:

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I wasn't particularly blown away with the way they shot in my Powder River custom XDM 5.25 competition gun. I didn't think the gun was spinning them right or getting the consistency I expected. I went back to the 124s which work perfectly. Then I tried the 165 xtremes at 130K PF in my MPX 8 inch PCC or SBR etc. I was expecting to be disappointed but  it blew me away. Smooth little blips and I put 3 rounds through the 1/2" carriage bolt hole in my steel target at 20 yards. 3 shots in a row from the start whicked through that tiny hole. I've never been able to get this MPX to shoot that accurately EVER. Now as long as I pull the trigger fast enough I can do hammered pairs at 20 yards on a round steel consistently. Shot a match last night and loaned a box to a friend with a Scorpion carbine PCC and it seemed to even tame his heavy bolt slap. He was jumping up and down happy at the end of the stage where he did triple bill drills. I'm using CFS pistol 3.2-3.3grains, mixed brass, CCI or Fed primers, 1.135 OAL, round nose plated 165gr Xtreme, approx 775-800 FPS. of course I would order a sampler of them first and test your loads. They are noticeably quieter with my stock flash hider on the MPX 8" barrel. I'm zeroed at 20 yards and at 45 yards my tests had the rounds hitting the same small bolt hole way out there. I was shocked. I was taking double hammered pair head shots last night in a match on GADPA targets which have a 3" head circle.

Edited by Georgiashooter