Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anybody Make This AR Barrel?

CJW

18" barrel, rifle gas, .223 Wylde chambering, 1:8 twist, no more than 2 pounds.

I have found some near misses, but nothing that hits all the specs. The Spike's Lothar-Walther barrels are all of the above, except mid-length gas. The VooDoo barrels are close, but they are 1:7 twist and don't do Wylde. The Rainier SPR barrels have all the specs but are over 2.5 pounds.

Am I looking for a unicorn?

Edited by CJW

I use that barrel but with the thermal dissipator. I am able to hit long range targets positioned toward the end of stages with no issues. Haven't tested accuracy after a mag dump.

How much does the dissipator weigh? Seems like you are going light on the barrel and then just adding back weight that you could have avoided with, say, a fluted heavier profile...

Check the ODINworks. Cannot recall the weight, but their 3gun barrel sounds like your unicorn. I have one at home awaiting a build.

The Intermediate gas Odin is just over 2 pounds (2.15lb) and the rifle length (the DMR) specs almost exactly the same as the Rainier UltraMatch SPR at just over 2.5lb.

I use that barrel but with the thermal dissipator. I am able to hit long range targets positioned toward the end of stages with no issues. Haven't tested accuracy after a mag dump.

How much does the dissipator weigh? Seems like you are going light on the barrel and then just adding back weight that you could have avoided with, say, a fluted heavier profile...

The thermal dissipator weighs next to nothing- I handled one at a JP booth and was surprised at how light it was. It's made of very thin/light aluminum. Edited by amccallister

Lightweight barrels and competition don't always go together, I can tell you from experience that I've had my Daniel Defense light weight barrel heat up so much that it was almost unbearable to hold the rail at the muzzle end.

Just my two cents. I'd second JP's barrel, it's next on my list. I'd rather invest in a company who invests in our support anyway!