Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Semi-auto for trap - stopping shell ejection

ihocky2

I have my shotgun for 3-gun and would like to take it out for some occasional trap shooting. I know there are shell catchers available, but no clip on ones for my shotgun and I don't like the idea of the one that uses double sided tape since I will be taking it on and off fairly often. Since mine if a gas operated shotgun, my thought is just to remove the piston assembly from the gun which should disable the ejection. I'll just have to rack out every spent shell. Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to run the gun like this? Would it cause any unforeseen problems?

I seem to remember something like that years ago. Stuck the thing on the gun below the ejection port and it had a wire that could be flipped up to catch. For other shooting it could be flipped down

I would just pick up the hulls after shooting?

Can be a problem when you're on the trap line and you bean a shell case off the head of the guy next to you. :goof:

To the OP... What gun do you have? I have a simple metal clip that seems to work on a lot of semi autos. Right now I use it on a Remington 1100 12 gauge

I have this one on one of my shotguns. Works well. I have actually forgotten to flip it up a few times when shooting trap, but noticed that my gun doesn't throw the shells far enough to bother the shooter next to me anyway. I don't reload shotgun right now and usually shoot cheap Wally World shells, so saving the shells isn't an issue anyway. The double sided tape that holds it on is very easily removed with some CRC/WD40 and then the catcher pops right off.

http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Save-It-12-Gauge-Semi-Auto/dp/B001U9YK8I

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a Winchester Super X2. It's not so much the tape itself that bothers me, but having to apply, remove, reapply every week or two when switching between trap and 3-gun. It's not keeping the hulls that I am worried about since I do not reload for shotgun, the other guys can have them. It's beaning the guy next to me that I want to avoid.

Scott, I think I can manage something like that. Might take a little custom machining work, but I think I can get one of those to fit my shotgun. Why didn't I think of something that simple.

You don't want one of the Flip down shell stops on your 3-gun shotgun and like you say it would be a total pain to take it on and off. I have one of them on my SX2 that I use for trap. Like the poster above pointed out, a simple rubber band will get the job done. Bring a few spares as they break pretty easy.

if it is a benelli. you use a credit card and slide it between the barrel and the top of the receiver. then heat it with a lighter and bend it down and so the shell eject right to your feet. i will post pics with it in my gun. as soon as i can.

P.S. i think it works on brownings too

if it is a benelli. you use a credit card and slide it between the barrel and the top of the receiver. then heat it with a lighter and bend it down and so the shell eject right to your feet. i will post pics with it in my gun. as soon as i can.

P.S. i think it works on brownings too

Benelli owners are used to burning credit cards.

I can't find one, either. I did find:

"Another design I have seen is where 2 holes are drilled along the bottom edge of the top of the ejection port and piano wire is bent and shaped to run about 1/8 inch down from the top edge of the ejection port, parallel to it. It is almost un-detecable when installed correctly, but I would suggest a professional gunsmith install it."

I have had a couple like that, drilled into the barrel extension of an 1100. One works like a champ, the other works pretty well; but the hole location, angle, and bow of the piano wire are all critical.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The rubber band trick works just fine. I use my SLP Competition all the time and average 22-23 every time I'm on the line. It drives the old guys nuts, lol. Try it, it's cheap and does the trick.

Matt