Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sights for production class

Dragon11

What sights due you guys prefer to use for production class? I have been shooting USPSA since 1992, and last month, I shot an NRA action pistol match. I had a blast and plan on shooting NRA action pistol while also shooting USPSA. Having said that, I shoot a Glock 34 and am wanting to set one up for NRA action pistol. I am leaning towards an all black adjustable Dawson Precision set. I was just curious what sights you guys shoot in NRA action pistol? Are they all black or do guys use fiber optic? I at least wanted to check before I ordered some sights.

The fiber optic sights (front and rear) really help if you don't have perfect vision, cloudy days and shooting against a dark background like the plates at the Bianchi Cup. Protocol Design has a nice set up for revolver, they are in the vendor area on this forum.

Edited by toothguy

Its interesting to me that the fiber optics would be the better sights. Not because I think its wrong, but because I would have thought that the all black sights would give me a simple, more defined sight picture. When I use fiber optic sights my eyes tend to drift between lining up the dots versus lining up the hard edges of the sights. For IPSC that helps me, but would have thought the opposite for action pistol. Do you guys know if people are using the fiber optics in PPC matches also?

Its interesting to me that the fiber optics would be the better sights. Not because I think its wrong, but because I would have thought that the all black sights would give me a simple, more defined sight picture. When I use fiber optic sights my eyes tend to drift between lining up the dots versus lining up the hard edges of the sights. For IPSC that helps me, but would have thought the opposite for action pistol. Do you guys know if people are using the fiber optics in PPC matches also?

I don't think that fiber optics are legal for PPC. For me the fiber optics are a good for quick alignment then I use the leading sharp black edge for accuracy. On close stuff I use the front fiber optic like a dot sight.

I don't think that fiber optics are legal for PPC. For me the fiber optics are a good for quick alignment then I use the leading sharp black edge for accuracy. On close stuff I use the front fiber optic like a dot sight.
I appreciate the info, this gives me something to chew on. Right now I use Trijicon, so using either style would be a step in the right direction. While on the sights topic...I shot an action pistol match today. One of the competitors at the match said I

couldn't put adjustable sights on my gun. He said that if the gun didn't come with adjustable sights, I couldn't put them on. I thought that if the sights fit in the original dovetail, or grove, then I could use them. Not being allowed to use adjustable

sights seems way off base. Especially since ninety percent, if not all, of production style guns don't come from the factory with adjustable sights.

According to the rule book, 3.2.1 (d) Only open sights may be used. The front sight must be a non-adjustable post sight. The rear sight may be adjustable if the firearm was originally manufactured with an adjustable sight. Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm. Fiber optic sights are permitted.

Alan~^~

According to the rule book, 3.2.1 (d) Only open sights may be used. The front sight must be a non-adjustable post sight. The rear sight may be adjustable if the firearm was originally manufactured with an adjustable sight. Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm. Fiber optic sights are permitted.

Alan~^~

Forgive me for asking. I assume "open sights" are regular sights? And by reading the rule, that would mean Glocks can't have an adjustable rear sight, since I haven't seen one manufactured with one, correct? Don't get me wrong, I'm good with the rule, I'm just making sure I'm reading it right. Would save me some time and money by not having to buy a knew set.

Alan~^~

Forgive me for asking. I assume "open sights" are regular sights? And by reading the rule, that would mean Glocks can't have an adjustable rear sight, since I haven't seen one manufactured with one, correct? Don't get me wrong, I'm good with the rule, I'm just making sure I'm reading it right. Would save me some time and money by not having to buy a knew set.

Glock 34s and 35s came with an adjustable rear sight (albeit a crappy one). Regardless of the rule quoted above, I thought there were some folks putting adjustable rear sights on S&W M&Ps which had not come from the factory with adjustable sights and were deemed okay when they went to the Bianchi Cup...don't know the rationale on that one.

Alan~^~

Glock 34s and 35s came with an adjustable rear sight (albeit a crappy one). Regardless of the rule quoted above, I thought there were some folks putting adjustable rear sights on S&W M&Ps which had not come from the factory with adjustable sights and were deemed okay when they went to the Bianchi Cup...don't know the rationale on that one.
When did Glock make 34's and 35's with adjustable sights? Do they still make them?

When did Glock make 34's and 35's with adjustable sights? Do they still make them?

Both of my Gen 4s did (a 34 & 35). They're sitting in bin in the basement somewhere.

Holy crap...I hate it when I put myself in the dark on certain topics. I assumed, since every Glock I have purchased came with

fixed sights, that they didn't come with adjustable. I'm not afraid to admit I feel stupid...I appreciate the info. At least

now, after learning the rule, I can take my time and decide on staying with the fixed or buying adjustable sights for my 34, and

still be legally allowed to shoot it for action pistol. Although, it would be cheaper and easier just staying

with the fixed sights I already have.

Edited by Dragon11