Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock III rusting

AlphaSeeker

Put away my STK III after a match [cleaned]. Two weeks later the outside had severe rusting. I am now forced to oil the frame every time I put it away - is this normal?

I've never had a blued gun rust so quickly.

How did u put it away? A/C environment ?

Original case?

Edited by DGAF

yep it's normal.

did you keep it in the tanfoglio case? cause that's the worst way to store it. I got my stock II from a friend. unfortunately it had been stored in it's case in a safe for a couple months after being used and put away. not good. and it was hard chrome... just the checkering in particular goes bad on them.

best bet is buy one of the 'bore stores' gun socks. they are like fleecy on the inside and treated with silicone. chuck in a little bag of silica gel to help keep moisture out.

It's why I really like the GK finish guns and the extreme guns (also GK finish). it's much better than the blued and a little better than hard chrome. the cheap wonder finish is very hardy, just a bit ugly.

http://www.borestores.com/order_online.php?cam=show_cat&cat_id=122&nav=Handgun%20Cases

VCI chips like this help a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYN8JDS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p328_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=192R87GRQ7JMJS4C6QY5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

(edit: I don't think the link works for some reason. Google: Daubert Cromwell UWMPICHIPS2X2 Uniwrap MPI Corrosion Inhibitor VCI Chip Amazon sells 500 2"x2" chips for about 25 bucks.)

Edited by Bamboo

Carried my match for a weekend and after taking it out of the safe a week later, it had a couple rust spots starting on the blued slide. :(

Wiped down with an oily cloth and all is well, but ... the italian metal does seem to rust fast.

I have a call into EAA. This may determine my future with this gun. Will update soon

Do yourself a favor and email sharon@eaacorp.com Even if she can't help you, she'll point you in the right direction and will likely get back to you before someone returns your call.

• 1 month later...

My STK3 has been in the EAA service dpt for 2 weeks now. Sharon was very pleasant in setting up the return. The nice lady in the service dept is also very friendly -BUTTT.

I can not get any information on the status of the gun. I am told that there is a man [they refer to him as "HE"] who is working on the repair. I can not speak with this person nor is there any information on the condition, nor the "repair" that "HE" is working on.

Last call, I was told that the "rust" was removed and the gun cleaned. It is now being observed for a week, to see if it rusts again.

This answer is baffling since the problem is - not supposed to rust in the first place.

No mention of the pitting on the frame - service person has not entered any notes for the "repair".

Spent $70 to overnight the gun to the and will pay another $20 to get it back.

I love the gun but EAA may just make a seller out of me. Will probably never buy a blued Tanfoglio again.

whenever I get a steel gun the first thing I do is run a nice coat of eezox on it. that stuff is great. I also tend to store them in the silicone impregnated gunsocks. living in this salt air eats up steel like nobodies business. I hate it.

I purchased a few plastic storage pouches which have a rust inhibitor. The STK3 and its sibling are my training and match guns. They never spend more the a couple of days without dry fire or range time. The inly answe for me is probably chrome for the slide and ceracoat for the frame.

Another option is a CZ. No gun is better than a poor service dpt. Still holding out hope that EAA comes through.

Edited by AlphaSeeker