Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther PPQ 5" .40SW

Scramblerx

Hey all,

I just SSE'd a PPQ 5" in 40SW and wondered if anybody experience with this gun in .40.

Seems like most people buy it in 9mm but given that i already have an XDM 5.25 and STI Spartan in 9mm I figured the .40 was a good way to go.

What division you plan on shooting? Seems like without the usual aftermarket items such as magwell, extended mags, etc. the Q is most suited as production gun, in which case the .40 is a bit overpowered for minor. I've been debating on the 5in PPQ in 9 or 40, and even though I'd love to trick it our for limited I feel like the odds are stacked against it unless you run it in production. Maybe L10 if a magwell was available.

I don’t think I am going to make it a competition gun.
I actually haven’t shot a match yet, I was thinking of using the XDM or the Spartan in IDPA to get my feet yet and just leaving the PPQ as a home defense & motorcycle camping type of gun.

I have the PPQ M2 in .40 in both 4" and 5". Only the 4" is production legal so far, but with downloaded ammo it's great to shoot. Head over to waltherforums.com, there are a bunch of knowledgeable people (not much in the way of competition though).

I have the PPQ M2 in .40 in both 4" and 5". Only the 4" is production legal so far, but with downloaded ammo it's great to shoot. Head over to waltherforums.com, there are a bunch of knowledgeable people (not much in the way of competition though).

List of Production guns (Walther)

P1 (28 oz.), P38 (34 oz.), P5 (28 oz.), P88 (31.5 oz.), P88 Compact (29 oz.), P99 (25 oz.), P99AS (25 oz.), P99C (20 oz.), P99DAO (20 oz.), P99QA (20 oz.), PPQ .40cal 4.17 barrel (24.87 oz.), PPQ 9mm 4.01 barrel (24.52 oz.), PPQ M2 .40 cal barrel 4.1 inch (24.52 oz.), PPQ M2 9mm barrel 4 inch (24 oz.), PPQ M2 9mm barrel 5 inch (24 oz.)

The 5" is now on the production list.

Nope. Only the 9mm in 5". I bugged the Walther guy on WF.com to get all the M2s on the list, but they only submitted 3 -- Bret said they haven't sold enough 5" .40s yet. (Apparently they actually follow the rules and checked sales figures before submitting the paperwork to John Amidon.)

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to follow up with this thread. After several trips to the range is it easy to see why there is so much love for this gun. Great trigger, awesome reset and natural ergos. If you have the opportunity - buy one of these bad boys.

Just wanted to follow up with this thread. After several trips to the range is it easy to see why there is so much love for this gun. Great trigger, awesome reset and natural ergos. If you have the opportunity - buy one of these bad boys.