Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other than dillion toolhead

jstagn

I use one. Seems to be machined to slightly tighter tolerances. Not real sure how much it actually helps but oal seems to stay a little more consistent

Same feeling here. The tool head has a nice finished feel to it but not sure if it makes a huge difference. I use the non floating clamp style from uniquetek.

Edited by rottenit

I have used them all.. Dillon, Whidden, with and without Lee's clamping kit installed... not necessarily in that order.

1) I will probably never use another toolhead without Lee's kit installed.
2) I have a lot of tool heads... Dillon toolheads do have some small manufacturing tolerance diferences, but it is minimal. The Whidden tool heads are very consistent and works of machining art. IF I ever need to buy another tool head, it will likely be a WGW part simply because I know the centers will be consisitently located and the die locking ring surfaces will be consistent from batch to batch and perpendicular to the die axis.

For MOST reloaders, this level of precision is not "required". Most of the reloading "I" do doesn't "require" it. I do it for ALL of my reloading because in combination with all of the other things I do (setup procedures, die selection/setup, powder measure mods, micrometer powder bar, et al), it allows me to make ammo that is much more consistent from round to round and lot to lot... AND, if I need (or want) to, I can make ammo that rivals the absolute best available..

• 2 weeks later...