Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One gun for IDPA/USPSA/3 Gun/Steel

Sorry guys if this has been covered over and over again. I'm new to action pistol shooting (duh) and still fairly confused about divisions and what gun is best for what. I understand the divisions themselves and the guns/calibers that tend to be competitive in each but I'm having a hard time figuring out what gun I should get as a dedicated competition pistol.

I'm going to be shooting IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun and steel matches (one of each per week, different sundays every month), and perhaps an additional IDPA match each week on my other day off work. That being said, I don't really want to set the gun up specifically for IDPA just because I might shoot it more often - I think I'll have more fun in 3 Gun and USPSA. I have it in my head that I want to shoot Limited and ESP, but perhaps I will end up in SSP and Production depending on gun choice.

Guns I am considering: top choices as of right now are XDM 5.25 and CZ 75/SP-01. I'd love to shoot an Edge or Infinity but don't really want to spend that kind of cash right now, besides a bushingless gun wouldn't work for IDPA anyway. Glock 34/35 is a distant 3rd, I'm not really in love with Glocks but they work and I can shoot them OK. I'd like to stick with 9mm right now because all my pistols are 9 or 45 and I'm not too worried about being competitive in Limited for the first couple years.

XDM and CZ are top of the list because I shoot them well and they fit my hands nicely - I get to shoot each of them regularly and they perform the same for me. Of course the XDM can't be shot in SSP, so I might as well mod it up for ESP/3gun. The CZ has it's own set of issues - if I go with the SP-01 only certain mods would be allowable as it would have to meet Production rules, so perhaps the 75b would be better here....

Anyone want to help me sort it out?

For the first month or two of shooting I'm just going to use my Glock 19 because A.) I already have it, B.) I have plenty of mags and a holster for it and C.) I can shoot it reasonably well.

Edited by jhr1986

I believe the XDs are now approved for IDPA SSP so either of these should be okay for SSP or ESP.

What work do you think you would need to do on the CZ that wouldn't be Production legal?

No reason either of these guns couldn't work for all the divisions that you mentioned. About the only concern would be whether you keep a mag well on the guns and whether you do any stippling on the XD's grip.

Obviously 9mm and minor scoring is less desirable for Limited division but it would still be good practice. Production is the best home for 9mm guns in USPSA.

You're not too early to be asking the question (and it's a tough one), but I'd stick with the G19

until you come up with your answer.

If you're not worried about being competitive, at this point, just stick with what you have and

shoot well.

After one season, you might drop one of the disciplines (IDPA?) and solve the entire problem -

then you can just buy The Perfect Gun for USPSA ... :cheers:

Keep shooting your G19. Right now you are drinking from the firehose and trying to do too much at once. Focus a bit on a few disciplines you like best, don't burn out, learn what you want out of a handgun, then decide.

What work do you think you would need to do on the CZ that wouldn't be Production legal?

Whoops, got my disciplines mixed up; what I meant was that if I shoot an SP-01 in ESP it has to be SSP legal due to the full length dust cover, so the available mods would be restricted. I suppose a cz75 wouldn't have this problem, and of course it wouldn't be an issue for USPSA.

You're not too early to be asking the question (and it's a tough one), but I'd stick with the G19

until you come up with your answer.

If you're not worried about being competitive, at this point, just stick with what you have and

shoot well.

After one season, you might drop one of the disciplines (IDPA?) and solve the entire problem -

I'd hadn't considered potentially dropping one in the future, that would make the gun choice much easier.

Keep shooting your G19. Right now you are drinking from the firehose and trying to do too much at once. Focus a bit on a few disciplines you like best, don't burn out, learn what you want out of a handgun, then decide.

Drinking from a firehose is right; I know I'm trying to do a lot by shooting 4 different types of comps but that is what is available to me in my area. My day is Sunday and it turns out that in my area each month there is one Sunday IDPA match, one Sunday USPSA match, one steel match and one multigun match on different weekends.

Thanks guys, you've helped me get a bit of clarity on the issue. I guess I just really have a case of "shiny new toy syndrome." I'll shoot the G19 for a while and let the gun issue work itself out over time.

Edited by jhr1986

Based on your first post... I would recommend the XDM 5.25, it is a very nice pistol. Fairly easy to upgrade or shoot it stock. It is legal in IDPA SSP. I like the feel of the CZ, but never have shot one. I think it is probably a better pistol and you would probably love it, I just think the lack of gunsmiths and the ease of aftermarket parts and installation would be a long term issue.

Shoot what you have for at least a few months. This hobby is expensive and a new gun won't change your score early on. If you really start to shoot a lot, pistols and rifle barrels become consummables just like ammo.

Whichever striker fired 5" 9mm fits you best is my go to recommendation for folks who want one fun for all.

• 2 weeks later...

Put a trigger in the glock and you'll be set.

This. A Ghost Rocket makes the Glock a serious shooter.

I will also say that it's imperative to start reloading so that you'll have as much ammo as you need on demand. You're going to need piles of ammo regardless of which gun you ultimately choose. An indispensible benefit of reloading your own ammo for competition is that it gives you a hands-on feeling with your shooting. The deeper layer of controlling the process is in thinking it through from start to finish, giving every row in every box a purpose. You make choices in bullets, powder, and primers that you make by thinking about that purpose and then put them together with that in mind. From there, your gun is a means of giving all those hundreds of bullets a path to their purpose. That thought in mind will more completely illuminate your choices.

What I am learning from people who are better than me is that competitive shooting is all about planning. Most obviously in USPSA is the plan of how to shoot the stage, which will determine how fast you'll be able to do it and thus your score. The gun and gear selection is actually the third plan. How you practice after having shot a competition becomes your plan to shoot better in the next one--yes, plan your practice!! Then get used to running the practice plan and the competition plan and see how working on those two alone works THEN see how other factors change the result.

So yes, stick with the G19 while you build the plans because you eliminate the factor of having to change that while you make the other plans.

Edited by yellowfin

Based on your first post... I would recommend the XDM 5.25, it is a very nice pistol. Fairly easy to upgrade or shoot it stock. It is legal in IDPA SSP. I like the feel of the CZ, but never have shot one. I think it is probably a better pistol and you would probably love it, I just think the lack of gunsmiths and the ease of aftermarket parts and installation would be a long term issue.

I'll echo Butter, I think my XDM 5.25 is fantastic. It is very easy to upgrade yourself, even if you aren't an experienced gunsmith.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the input from everyone. The decision has been made. I've been shooting the last couple weeks with my G19, and will continue to do so until I pick up a G34. Not sure when that will happen, I'm not really in a rush and am trying to keep from worrying about equipment.

I've briefly played with the VP9. Nice pistol. I'm not going to get used to the mag release position. Not saying that I can't get used to it, just choosing not to. I've got too many other pistols with the button type release and I'm not switching to HK everything so the VP9 is out. If I wasn't invested in other pistols it would be a great choice, and it is a great choice for new shooters.

Edited by jhr1986

• 2 months later...

try a Zev tech connector in your 19. Polish the trigger bar and the striker. It will act like a different animal. I also shaved a little off the safety bar so I didn't end up with a sore finger every time I shot my 17. A couple small easy to make changes really make the Glock into a different gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I started with IDPA, then started shooting USPSA. In under a year I decided to drop USPSA, making my new firearm choices much easier. I am still rocking a Glock 19 for USPSA while I save up for a project/race gun.

Like many others said, shoot with your 19 for awhile, see what sports/types you end up liking the most. Also, like others have said, the STI eagle with a bushing barrel is legal in IDPA.

I agree it's a good idea to shoot your Glock for a bit and get a better idea of what you're going to enjoy, have a chance to talk to people running the pistols you're looking at. And do the trigger on the G19. As it happens, I started with a G19 and shot it for two years before going to the XDM 9mm 5.25 for the last two years in 3-gun and USPSA. Now transitioning to the CZ 75 Shadow. I'm getting better accuracy from the CZ and I think the weight of it is working for me, but YMMV.

Edited by cody6477