Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Holsters

jstagn

Been running a CR Speed for the last three IPSC seasons. Came with the used STI Edge I picked up. Pretty happy with it. Still never move past a fast walk without my hand on the back of my gun just in case. The lock is pretty strong though... I've gone through a number of draws at the buzzer where I had muscle the gun free due a forgotten lock. Checking the lock is now a mandatory part of my load and make ready :)

I've used every holster out there other than the CR Speed. Overall I think the DAA magnetic is probably the best. I like the draw of the Manny holster better but while it is labeled as "futuristic industrial" design I refer to it more as "first year shop class" design. It also needs work when you get it, or at least mine did. Bone stock I had to cut down the screws on the belt attachment portion otherwise it would lay your hand open on a draw because they were too long. Next I had to flip the hanger itself around as it set the gun too far rearward as supplied. I then needed to drill new holes in the piece that sets the offset from the hip as the grip was considerably beyond 2" from my inner belt. Once THAT was done I thought it was a pretty damn good holster.

The Safariland 014 "Robocop" holster has a great draw and retention as well but I find the lock release is pretty small and harder to disengage on a seated start or after running 30 yards with two ammo cans in your hands.

Final placings: DAA Mag for the Gold, Safariland 014 for the silver and Manny gets the bronze.

Been running a CR Speed .......The lock is pretty strong though... I've gone through a number of draws at the buzzer where I had muscle the gun free due a forgotten lock. :)

Pretty strong? There is no way a gun can be muscled out of a locked DAA Racemaster.

This may not be the right place to ask, but....

I'm new to Limited pistol game having just received my 1st pistol built for that division. I've been trying to make up my mind on which holster to go with having never used a "race" holster....

Frankly, do I really need one? I completely understand as a master level shooter every micro second counts, but as a "C" shooter just starting migjt I be better off with a Kydex holster of hybrid style holster like the Blade Tech Speed Rig?

I'm new to Limited pistol game having just received my 1st pistol built for that division. I've been trying to make up my mind on which holster to go with having never used a "race" holster....

Frankly, do I really need one? I completely understand as a master level shooter every micro second counts, but as a "C" shooter just starting migjt I be better off with a Kydex holster of hybrid style holster like the Blade Tech Speed Rig?

in limited division you can do just fine with a blade tech DOH. But they are rough on blued finish if that's concern. In that case go with one if the top rated race holsters mentioned in this thread. They are actually more secure than a BT style holster when locked.

Open guns with cmores are restricted to race holsters because they won't fit anything else.

Wow... That would be nice. But then again any chance to fondle my gun is a good thing ;)

yeah the lock is a problem with CR speed if you can still with effort draw the gun whilst locked. there's no way to pull a gun out of a locked DAA or H&S. you 'may' be able to really yank one out of the manny or the ghost (as both use a ball lock) but I'm not sure.

a duty/bucket holster will work fine and in fact I tend to think you can draw equally fast from either. perhaps race holsters allow an easier grip and smoother release but that's about it.

There's no reason to fear a race holster though. they are super easy to use. The main benefits you get from a race holster in my eyes is this:

no wear on the gun finish

smoother draw than from a bucket

shorter lift needed to 'clear' the holster (don't have to come really high out of it)

more adjustability in how the gun is positioned (can set it up any way you like within the rules).

So if one or more of those things are important to you, a race holster may be a good choice. For value though a bladetech or similar can't be beaten.

• 1 month later...

Racer works great. I have one. My dad bought one after seeing mine. Cousin picked one up for the same reason a few weeks ago. Excellent holster. Difference between the racer and race master is poly vs aluminum, fixed for one gun vs changeable inserts for different guns, and internal tension adjustment vs external thumb screw for tension adjustment.

Used a ghost for five years and loved it. Unfortunately it was starting to eat the trigger guard on my plastic 2011 grip. Now using the DAA magnetic, would not go back!

I have had several conversations with Saul Kirsch over the years, including one where I kinda ripped his ass for a problem that was not his doing. He remained polite and helpful in rectifying a problem caused by a USA supplier.

DAA is tops in my book

Mildot1