Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Holsters

jstagn

Since this is an ever changing item I thought i would ask for some advice. Talked to a friend who just recently purchased a Double Alpha Racemaster with the optional rod that goes down with an adjustable piece that goes into the muzzle end. He said that the positive lock makes it impossible (short of breakage) to knock the pistol out once the lever in the back is locked. Another said on 'chair starts' and other movement he likes the Super Ghost because you can knock the lever off (if you want) after you get up and/or start running. Would like to hear first hand comments on what you have pros/cons. Gun is Infinity 5.4 2011. Super retention is very important, so if I knock into something (chair/tree) or someone before I go up to the line to make ready I don't want to look down and see my gun on the ground.. Thanks..

Edited by jstagn

I used to use the DAA Racemaster without the muzzle holder. It was good, retention was very good, but I occasionally had problems with the trigger lock block moving around in the body making it difficult to re-holster.

I switched to the Manny Bragg Futuristic magnetic holster. I really like it. Great retention, Three position lock toggle is great for seated starts (like DAA, too). VERY smooth draw and re-holster. Almost infinitely adjustable for fit. As long as you don't mind industrial design, it is great.

Just my $0.02.

I used to use a Ghost Ultimate with my Glock 24. I just started using a Ghost "The One" holster with my STI. It has the muzzle holder. I wasn't sure I was going to like it at first, but it's working out great. Very stable holster. I never feel like the gun is going to fall out.

The Ghost Ultimate doesn't have the muzzle holder. Additionally, the retention ball is different and allows the gun to come out both from pulling up for pulling forward.

The Ghost "The One" has a different shaped retention ball. The gun will only come out when pulled straight up.

Both have the lever that allows you to lock it in such a way that you can easily unlock while drawing (for times when you have a chair start or the like).

Edited by uod

Use a Racemaster here and the lock is very easy to unlock on the draw if need be chair start laying down start or other weird start that's not stand and draw. When locked it would have to break the trigger guard to fall out

Same here. On seated starts I just lock it and as soon as I stand up, just sweep the lock off and draw the gun. It's easy and that extra sense of security goes a long way.

I guess once you get familiar where the lock is, you won't be fumbling around to find it. Todd7446 mention about the block moving around in the AA, is this on the plastic or aluminum block? Could you explain how the Manny 3 position system works? Thanks....

I use a DAA Racemaster with the new magnetic trigger block. It is secure and comfy. The locking lever is in a great position for the strange positions you find yourself in. I'm happy with mine since moving from another well known brand.

I used to use the DAA Racemaster without the muzzle holder. It was good, retention was very good, but I occasionally had problems with the trigger lock block moving around in the body making it difficult to re-holster.

I switched to the Manny Bragg Futuristic magnetic holster. I really like it. Great retention, Three position lock toggle is great for seated starts (like DAA, too). VERY smooth draw and re-holster. Almost infinitely adjustable for fit. As long as you don't mind industrial design, it is great.

Just my $0.02.

I agree with you. Except that DAA have cured the block moving problem now with their new magnetic inserts. you can upgrade any existing DAA holster just by buying the new insert.

I have the MBFM (aka mad max holster) and the styling is a bit questionable but it's function is fantastic. However, it has left 2 small marks on my dust cover where the 2 magnetic rollers sit.

JSTAGN:

The new DAA magnetic inserts do away with the tension knob. The tension knob applied tension to a wedge (by way of compressing a spring against it) that made it harder or easier to move the block up and down. The problem was the best draw was achieved with basically no tension at all but with no tension it was common for the block to either fall down during the stage, or get nudged down as you started to re-holster making it not possible to holster the pistol without first lifting the block back up from the rear. One good thing with the tension knob was for things like seated starts rather than draw locked (and risk forgetting to sweep up the lock lever during the draw) you could just crank on some tension which kept the gun well locked in place but meant you still used your normal draw technique.

The new magnetic inserts solve this problem by having a small magnet at the top and bottom of the insert block travel. so when you draw it magnetises up and stays up. when you re-holster it goes down. you also get a nice 'click' noise at each end of the travel. the downside is no more tension adjustment but as I said it was really only useful as a sort of 'intermediate' lock for unconventional starts.

My favourite race holsters are (somewhat in order)

Manny Brag super duper from the future

DAA with magnetic insert (with or without the muzzle platform)

H&S CW5 (very light, great draw, no marks on gun and the cheapest of the 3 in this list, looks understated too - only downside is locking lever is a little long so you need to be careful not to accidentally unlock it if walking between stages etc with the gun in holster and a bag over your shoulder)

I guess once you get familiar where the lock is, you won't be fumbling around to find it. Todd7446 mention about the block moving around in the AA, is this on the plastic or aluminum block? Could you explain how the Manny 3 position system works? Thanks....

the manny 3 position thing is nothing revolutionary. it's just the locking lever can be fully up (unlocked this is how you will draw 99% of the time). you can put it halfway down which is fully locked, but the lever is sticking out at 90 degrees so you can sweep it off during the draw (good for seated starts etc) and the 3rd position is locked but fully down (lever flat against holster body so it cannot accidentally be unlocked by catching on something - this is how you will have the holster locked when walking around on stage etc).

the ghost super ghost does the same thing. most other holsters are 2 position. either unlocked or locked but lever is able to be swept up in the draw (both DAA and H&S are like this).

I have used them all. My current holster is the Safariland 014. It is extremely secure when it is locked there is no way to get the gun out. The lock button is on the side of the holster in a perfect position to unlock it from a seated draw etc. The gun is solid in the holster locked or unlocked and the gun does not rattle around like most race holsters do. The mounting system works with the Safariland belt or any of the regular width belts on the market. Take a look at it before you decide.

I guess I am old school now! I have the race master as it originally came a few years ago . Nothing has ever come loose or rattled, etc. as a matter of fact I have never made a single adjustment to it!

sarge. with the RM holsters it varies a bit depending on which model gun you are using it with. some of the inserts are better than others. some gun makers have a wide variance in trigger guard dimensions so for those guns to fit DAA have to make the trigger guard block a bit loose.

BeerBaron, Is the lock lever on the DAA (magnetic) easy to unlock while moving from a seated start or whatever else someone thinks up, how far does it stick out so it can be flipped off easily. The Manny looks to stick out quite far from the photos I have seen. Thanks..

the DAA lock lever is much shorter, but still easy enough to flick off if drawing from locked. being short is a good thing (in holsters with only 2 positions) as it stops it getting accidentally swept off by a bag strap or something else. the DAA RM lever is the same in magnetic inserts of the original tension adjustable inserts.

bear in mind even unlocked the gun is still firmly retained in the holster. it can only come out of the holster by coming straight up at least an inch first, then out. ie it can't just fall forward and flop out on it's own.

the manny lever is longer, but is placed further down the holster body so I'd say both are equally easy to sweep off in a draw. in fact the DAA may be slightly easier.

the manny lever being longer is no problem as if you want it locked for walking around on stage it tucks straight down out of the way.

both are excellent holsters.

I'd say the DAA looks a bit neater.

the manny is very 'industrial' in it's looks and may have seemed 'futuristic' if you showed it during a mad max movie in the 80s. some however like that look.

I think manny has the better draw but again this mainly comes down to how well the insert block is fitted to your particular guns trigger guard area. so depending on how consistent that brand of gun is you may get excellent fit, or may not. that's no fault of manny or DAA.

the manny has a locking ball type lock that is spring loaded (helps the draw feel), DAA is a sliding wedge type lock (I prefer the manny design)

both are very adjustable for height, angle, cant, width etc.

the manny is steel brackets and delrin housing

DAA is alluminium brackets and delrin insert

the DAA is a little cheaper and you can set it up for different guns for an extra $60 or so.

the DAA comes with a little leg pad (the manny does not and it does have some sharp edges, leg pad is an extra $20 and it should really be included in a holster of this price).

The DAA will not mark your gun at all

the manny may leave some marks on your dustcover where the two magnetic rollers touch

with the magnets the manny holds the gun very nicely.

the DAA has the option of a muzzle platform (manny does not)

the DAA comes in lots of colours, manny comes in black, or black.

At the end of the day if you car only about function, the manny will probably give you slightly better draw and use over the DAA.

if you consider a balance between cost/looks/flexibility/function then the DAA probably gets the nod (especially now that they offer the muzzle platform and magnetic inserts).

bear in mind the magnetics in the DAA do nothing to retain the gun. it's purely to keep the block up or down. in the manny the magnets are part of the retention and the draw (on rollers).

Don't discount the H&S CW5 either. it's cheaper, all delrin body. not quite as adjustable (but still good), very nice draw, long lever (very easy to draw locked, but needs watching at other times).

I have all 3. I currently use the manny as my open gun holster and using the H&S with my production rig (IPSC can use race holsters in all divisions).

I'm now thinking I'll change and use the DAA in a rig that gets used for production and classic/single stack and keep the manny on my dedicated open rig.

all 3 are excellent holsters and all 3 have their little quirks/drawbacks.

My ideal would be:

DAA mounting system and the modular insert sytem.

manny ball locking system and magnetic rollers (but perhaps coated with a rubbery coating to prevent wear on the gun)

H&S CW5 price and weight!!

mmmmm, double alpha CW futuristic magnet holster....

lol, I've also owned CR speed and ghost too!! but let's keep this simple!

I still rate those above as the top 3 right now.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them. But if you plan to shoot different framed guns with the same rig, then the DAA probably makes a little more sense. though if it's only 2 guns you can probably get 2 X H&S CW5's for the same money as a DAA and 2 inserts. Once you get to 3 ore more guns though the savings are there. If it's just one gun only then perhaps the Manny is the way to go? I dunno the final answer. hence why I still have 3 holsters...

One gun, list is between a Manny and DAA magnetic. Does the lock lever on the DAA push down to release lock with your thumb? Also is it possible to coat the areas on the Manny to prevent marks on the gun?

Edited by jstagn

Thanks to all who replied, Friend/fellow shooter had Manny and spoke with him, he convinced me the UGLY Manny was what I need, with the DAA a VERY close second. You could flip a coin, both are great.

buyers of daa BEWARE! I have had the worst experience ever with daa! I had a faulty block for my racemaster and my pistol would fall out of the holster when locked! when I contacted daa I was told that it was impossible for that to happen, everyone I showed it to including many R.O's said to contact daa, but after being called a liar and many many emails back and forth I finally said just forget it and I purchased a brand new block with my own money! daa Is one company that DOES NOT stand behind their product!!!! I have dealt with many companys like Brownells and Dillon precision, both companys stand behind their products 100%! I would even say 110%!!!! so maybe I have come to expect this kind of service from other companys but it is truly sad that companys like daa have such poor customer service that even though I like the racemaster holster I will NEVER buy another product from them!!!!! So I would just like to let everyone know that if u purchase anything from them you might be on your own should anything go wrong with your gear! if I had to do it all over again I would buy another brand of holster for sure!! to all of you that plan to buy anything from them BUYER BEWARE because their customer service just plain SUCKS!!!!!!

One gun, list is between a Manny and DAA magnetic. Does the lock lever on the DAA push down to release lock with your thumb? Also is it possible to coat the areas on the Manny to prevent marks on the gun?

Both the manny and the DAA unlock in the same way. you do it during the draw with your middle finger by flipping it up as you get a grip on the gun. it's a very natural process on both (and most other race holsters work the same).

it might be possible to lay a strip of tape over the rollers on the manny. probably an easier fix is lay down a strip of clear plastic (like you used to cover school books) on the underside of the dustcover on the gun where it contacts to 2 rollers/magnets. it's what I will probably do when I get around to it.

That sounds horrible. Not that i have any investment or stake in DAA but just to provide a counterpoint.

I made a mistake with something that was totally my fault. They still helped me out at their own cost (sure we are not talking big money but it was a nice gesture). I've also had to ask them for help with something else and got a reply very promptly from Mr Saul Kirsch himself who was very helpful too.

Given you are in the US was it CED you were dealing with? I understand they are the support network for the US where as DAA support europe and the rest of the world direct.

It's a shame they lost a customer over a faulty insert. :( even worse is that you had to have your gun end up on the ground to find out there was a problem. but I can only judge from my own experience with the company (and their products) and overall it's been very positive. I don't necessarily think they make the best of everything (for instance I much prefer CR speed belts to DAA) but they do have some fantastic IPSC products and in my experience they do support them.