• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

While on deck finding my happy place..
Relax.
Avoid chit chat.
Non-amplified ear muffs.
Shooting gum.
Clear my mind of everything except visualizing my plan with as much detail as necessary.
..then calmly focus on the first target while revving up my senses as I wait on the very first instance of the beep.
----
rinse. repeat.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A mentality of urgency, something akin to finding the practical applicability of the sport for myself and the defense of those around me. My goal is not a rank but a reliable defensive skill set. For me, when all the little tips and tricks are held against the standard of survival, that question of “will this work in the real world”, what doesn’t make the cut doesn’t matter.

• 9 months later...

For me, since I focus on Steel Challenge, the best thing I’ve done is buy some steel challenge banners and dry fire those 6 days per week. Even if it’s just a few minutes on the banners, you can’t get any more sport-specific. 

• 10 months later...

Lol practice! But also have someone better than you watch and critique you. There are so many techniques to work on but you want to work on your lowest hanging fruit. Its usually transitions and movement efficiency.