Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me about barricade stops

alma

I am wondering what the experience is with barricade stops for rifles in 3 Gun competition.

It seems like a good idea but I am wondering how they work out in practice.

I am running a Seekins SPR3 handguard that has the flat bottom and sides specifically to help wit barricade rests. I have been considering putting some skate tape on my handguard where it would normally contact a rest and have considered having a little extra something that can hook the rest.

It looks like Noveske has some options that look fairly aggressive.SLR Rifleworks also has one now. Any others out there worth considering?

Under most 3 gun rules will these keep you in TacOps division and can you reposition them between stages?

Edited by alma

Let me follow up with another question.

What about skate tape on the end of my handguard?

If you want skate tape to hold onto, then sure. I think you will find the prevalent technique involves gripping the handguard with 2 or 3 fingers and the prop with the remaining fingers. It also depends on your skill level, agility, etc. There are targets Horner will flop to prone where I will use a prop (if allowed) and target presentations where some will take a knee, find a tree, where I will shoot off-hand.

Personally I like the hand guard to slide because we move around so much between targets. It might be worth a shot though. I would really like to try the Seekins rail with the flat sides and bottom. That makes a lot of sense to me.

I have one on my 6.5PCC and it is wonderful for shooting out past 300 yards. :)

10372765_775516335803752_474626248913795

Let me follow up with another question.

What about skate tape on the end of my handguard?

I have the Seekins handguard and wouldn't do it. I initially had a short piece of rail attached on the bottom but quickly realized drawbacks with that. I could see the abrasive skate tape being just one more thing to slow you down on transitions.

On JP's little sling swivel buttons can be placed near the end, lots of people use skate tape on the part of a carbon fiber hand guard you grip, lots of guys use a piece of rail at 6 or 3. I don't think there are any rules per se about moving stops and small rail, but it then becomes something you haven't practiced with. All extra long rails that butt up against the comp should have something that stops your hand or warns you that you're at the end so you don't blow your fingertips off. You could put the 3 little rails that come with new hand guards on and see what you like. The Noveske guys used to have K9's on all the time, not so much any more or it is match specific. I think you will find as many answers as there are shooters.

I run a barricade stop on the bottom of my handguard. I originally put it on to help me get a consistent grip on the gun(I changed my holding technique over the winter). I use it to pull the gun into my shoulder as well as an index point. I find it helps when shooting off barricades as well. Drop the forend down, push into the stop and shoot.

I do shoot open though.

I've seen some pretty hilarious shooting with a barricade stop on wobbly barricades... every shot the gun would drop an inch or two, and after half a dozen shots the shooter had to re-adjust the gun position. IMHO they are of very limited usefulness, and mostly just add weight and bulk for no real gain. As always, YMMV.

Stealthy, you could have a whole sub-forum on "stuff I've seen" because you have the data to choose from; I bet you have seen some hilarious shooting :) Barricade stops were de rigeur for the first couple years of 3 Gun Nation because of, well, Barricades! They were plywood and firm. Not so much anymore.