Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some AR-15 help.

thompsoncustom

I am consider buying a ar-10/15 chambered in 308, first off I have never had any AR variant and no next to nothing about them except that I want one and that I would like it in 308.

Budge wise I'm looking at the DPMS guns and I've played with all the 308's that DPMS makes I find the Recon ($1400) to be just about prefect but want a 20" thick barrel instead of the 16". But at the same time I can get the Oracle for $800. Now how hard is it to change from a "16in thin barrel to a 20" thick. If it's a drop in thing the Oracle would be setup great for 1050 saving me 350 bucks.

Is there something else I'm missing that what add expense to changing from a 16" thin to a 20" thick barrel.

Not using this for competing just some long range shooting/hunting.

Changing barrels requires a vise block to hold the upper receiver, a barrel wrench and whatever tools are needed to remove the gas block. That might be punch and bench block or as simple as an allen wrench. You'll also, most likely, need a longer gas tube. Should be lots of youtube videos on the process. Brownells has the tools, if a buddy nearby doesn't.

DMPS has a new AR10 frame that is quite a bit smaller then some of the others out there. The standard AR10 is quite a bit different then an AR frame. There is more to mess with and or to need tuning with some of the AR10's, I don't think they are as "plug and play" as the AR-15 platform is. Going to a caliber other then .308 can cause headaches, or at least it did when people put guns together as the AR-10 bolt is quite big and there is lots of mass moving around. D Tubb used to shoot a SR-25 in .260 until it blew up on him, after that he finished the Tubb 2000. This was early 2000 ish and parts have come a long way.