Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone try Maxam CSB-1 in 9mm?

mizer67

Seems like a large amount of CSB-1 made its way into the US from Spain.

With the powder shortage, has anyone tried it out yet or does anyone in Europe have experience with this powder? It's been reported to use Universal load data. I'm more interested in accuracy, metering characteristics, feel, etc. than load data.

I'm thinking of picking up a jug or two just in case things don't get back to normal in the next year or so.

Shot the loads today from my G34/KKM barrel and they came out like mouse-farts. Groups were inconsistent @ 15 yrds. I'm guessing it definitely needs more than 3.2 gr @ 1.13" (Winchester Primers) so I'll be bumping up to 3.4 and 3.6 tomorrow.

Also shot it from a CZ Accu Shadow and pretty much the same results. Powder is fairly clean though, no issues

Just got back from the range and here's what I found regarding CSB-1:

X-treme 147 gr (.356 diameter), 3.6 gr, 1.13" OAL, mixed brass, Winchester SPP ---> 127 PF

X-treme 147 gr (.356 diameter), 3.8 gr, 1.13" OAL, mixed brass, Winchester SPP ---> 128-129 PF

Just got back from the range and here's what I found regarding CSB-1:

X-treme 147 gr (.356 diameter), 3.6 gr, 1.13" OAL, mixed brass, Winchester SPP ---> 127 PF

X-treme 147 gr (.356 diameter), 3.8 gr, 1.13" OAL, mixed brass, Winchester SPP ---> 128-129 PF

Thank you so much for your report. Can you comment on felt recoil and cleanliness? Did you see any signs of over pressure at all?

Out of my CZ Accu Shadow they felt like mouse farts, but take into account that I'm switching to an all metal gun from a Glock 34. That said I found no signs of overpressure. Looking at the spent cases the primers looked normal/not flattened out one bit. Very clean so far. Will be making a larger batch of 50-100 tonight so I can shoot some groups tomorrow

Thank you

Out of my CZ Accu Shadow they felt like mouse farts, but take into account that I'm switching to an all metal gun from a Glock 34. That said I found no signs of overpressure. Looking at the spent cases the primers looked normal/not flattened out one bit. Very clean so far. Will be making a larger batch of 50-100 tonight so I can shoot some groups tomorrow

Thank you, we are considering purchasing 550 kilos of this powder and some other Maxam powders and appreciate the input. I will be driving out to the midwest sometime in the next few weeks to pick up a 55 kilo sample keg so any load data from forum members is appreciated.

I've loaded a bunch of them at 4.4 behind a 124 Berry's HBFP. I like the powder for what it is (cheap, available) in 9mm, but tried it in 40 and it kicks like a mule!! The loads we ran in 40 felt more stout than the 183 PF factory white box ammo, but barely made major at around 167 PF.

I've loaded a bunch of them at 4.4 behind a 124 Berry's HBFP. I like the powder for what it is (cheap, available) in 9mm, but tried it in 40 and it kicks like a mule!! The loads we ran in 40 felt more stout than the 183 PF factory white box ammo, but barely made major at around 167 PF.

How many grains did you try on the 40 and what type of projectiles? Long or short barrel? Thanks for taking the time to report your experience.

How many grains did you try on the 40 and what type of projectiles? Long or short barrel? Thanks for taking the time to report your experience.

The 40 was a Glock 35 with Berry's 180's. I think I tried both round shoulder and flats. I don't remember the exact load, but even when we loaded them light for steel, they still felt like a major PF ammo! I wouldn't recommend it for 40 at all, there are WAY too many powders better suited for the job.

The 40 was a Glock 35 with Berry's 180's. I think I tried both round shoulder and flats. I don't remember the exact load, but even when we loaded them light for steel, they still felt like a major PF ammo! I wouldn't recommend it for 40 at all, there are WAY too many powders better suited for the job.

Thank you I really appreciate the input.

Edited by bajadudes

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my load data for CSB-1 in 9mm:

124 grain Precision Delta JHP

1.10" OAL

Win SPP

Mixed Brass

4.0 grains:

Average: 988 fps

ES: 44 fps

SD: 16 fps

4.2 grains:

Average: 1,020 fps

ES: 36 fps

SD: 12 fps

4.4 grains:

Average: 1,027 fps

ES: 47 fps

SD: 16 fps

There were no signs of pressure. I'm going to try 4.6 or 4.7 grains to try to get to 1,050 fps minimum, but it'll be a compressed load at my seating depths with this bullet.

Updated for ~4.7 grains below:

4.67 grains

Average: 1,061

ES: 73

SD: 21

Edited by mizer67

Shot the 4.74 load out of an H&K VP9. This would have been a decent load for the Glock 17 with it's larger chamber.

However, for the VP9 with its tighter stepped chamber, there were pressure signs on the brass. It was fairly heavily expanded and there were some extractor marks. The Winchester primers looked fine, but I'd tread with caution. Accuracy was only fair, with the smallest 10-round group at 25 yards measuring 3".

My thought is about 4.6 grains is max to run across a number of guns in 124 grain jacketed bullet weights, unless you're loading long.

This powder might be a better match for lead or 147gr bullets. 1,050 fps is about max in jacketed 9mm at shorter OALs in my experience.

• 2 months later...