Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Huge PractiScore problem! Any help

ogre56

And I wrote back telling you no you CAN'T swipe the screen, either. I tried it. You can't.

Well I'm delighted that it works for you. It doesn't work for me on rootnscoreit, which the goto rooting system as listed on the Niftybytes website. Therefore it needs to work with that rooting system. So what are we gonna do to fix this problem? Edited by wgnoyes

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...That said. locking the stage units for other than score entry would solve this. I think.

I am not against it, but it will only be good until someone have to score shooter that is not on the Nook and RM will broadcast the "unlock" password over the radio for entire range...

Understood, and agreed to. RMs who roll like that deserve what they get.

Is this feature request already in Mantis or do we need someone to write it up? (I don't have my login creds handy atm)

Well I'm delighted that it works for you. It doesn't work for me on rootnscoreit, which the goto rooting system as listed on the Niftybytes website. Therefore it needs to work with that rooting system. So what are we gonna do to fix this problem?

What version of PractiScore do you have installed on your NST's? I'm using 1.2.18 and can scroll up and down the screen using my finger. Sometimes I have to try the swipe more than once but I am able to do it. If you try scrolling with your finger on release notes page does it work? It would be nice if the side buttons could be used to scroll up and down. Eugene, could that capability be built in?

Well I'm delighted that it works for you. It doesn't work for me on rootnscoreit, which the goto rooting system as listed on the Niftybytes website. Therefore it needs to work with that rooting system. So what are we gonna do to fix this problem?

That was rootnscoreit, but I am pretty sure it doesn't make any difference, unless you guys rewrote bunch of system android things.

As I mentioned on the bug report, you can rework that text to make it fit the Nook screen. You need to shorten it by about 5 lines.

It would be nice if the side buttons could be used to scroll up and down. Eugene, could that capability be built in?

Anything could be built in, but everything takes time. Given that it is only relevant to one device (which is already discontinued) and I will have to spend 5..6 hours banging my head off the wall trying to hack something for this issue on Nook only and without guaranteed result... I'd say there are issues with higher priority at the moment.

What version of PractiScore do you have installed on your NST's? I'm using 1.2.18 and can scroll up and down the screen using my finger. Sometimes I have to try the swipe more than once but I am able to do it. If you try scrolling with your finger on release notes page does it work? It would be nice if the side buttons could be used to scroll up and down. Eugene, could that capability be built in?

As I described, it happens on 1.2.18 and 1.2.19. Yes, Zack and Eugene, for consistency across the app since other screens already make use of the side buttons for up/down scrolling, this screen should also be able to utilize the bezel buttons for scrolling.

That was rootnscoreit, but I am pretty sure it doesn't make any difference, unless you guys rewrote bunch of system android things.

As I mentioned on the bug report, you can rework that text to make it fit the Nook screen. You need to shorten it by about 5 lines.

So tell me, how do I get a working copy of your text that I'm supposed to modify? I can't reliably scroll down to the bottom to see the 5 mystery lines.

I finally got it to work, after MANY attempts. It should only take one. I see now that this is one of those "hold your finger and mouth right and try multiple times" problems. That is, the feature is unreliable. That as far as I'm concerned equates to broken and reportable as a bug. Exactly like it takes multiple hit-or-miss attempts on the main practiscore screen tapping on the "version n.n.nn" label to see the undocumented easter egg change log that is built into the app. That, too, is unreliable.

It would be nice if the side buttons could be used to scroll up and down. Eugene, could that capability be built in?

Anything could be built in, but everything takes time. Given that it is only relevant to one device (which is already discontinued) and I will have to spend 5..6 hours banging my head off the wall trying to hack something for this issue on Nook only and without guaranteed result... I'd say there are issues with higher priority at the moment.

Nooks are STILL the predominant platform for android practiscore, they're still available new, and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. We've scored a Lvl3 Area Championship on nooks. That makes them still a viable platform, clearly the price-performance choice for clubs everywhere, and one that therefore still requires proper vendor support for the app.

...for consistency across the app since other screens already make use of the side buttons for up/down scrolling, this screen should also be able to utilize the bezel buttons for scrolling.

It should, but unlike everything else it doesn't work for web controls, like it doesn't work in the web browser packaged with the nook, and controls inside popup dialogs are not receiving events from the keys. I've no idea why and if you are that much concerned about it, I can only suggest to contact manufacturer of device. If I'll have spare time after dealing with higher priority issues, I will see if I could come up with a workaround, but right now it is at the bottom of my list. Though I've seen people scoring matches and scrolling trough competitor lists and targets without knowing about buttons...

If it helps, the gesture is more like short flick of a finger and it is different from a drag gesture you've used to on your ipads.

So tell me, how do I get a working copy of your text that I'm supposed to modify?

You said you see that scrolling works on your Nexus device. Long tap anywhere in the text there, select all and email it to yourself.

I don't know if scrolling works or not on the nexus for that screen, as the screen is tall enough to display it all. I tried flicking up and down on the nexus, nothing happened but I didn't expect or need it to do so. The nook is a whole different issue, and it's definitely hit or much-more-likely miss.

And honestly? Nobody's going to read that tiny mice type on a nook screen standing in the middle of stage in progress, which is where the "add a walk-on" feature would be used.

Bill,

I agree it's very inconsistent in getting it to scroll but from what Eugene has said there are issues programming for it. If the device isn't raising events then how can you program for them? It sounds like one of those things we'll just have to deal with it. Yes it sucks, but it is what it is.

Eugene and Ken - I just want to let you know how much I appreciate you volunteering your time and resources to provide Practiscore to the shooting community. I don't think many people realize how much work is involved to maintain a cross platform codebase. Gone are the days when systems came with documentation that could be relied upon to be complete and accurate. Cheers!

.... If the device isn't raising events then how can you program for them?...s.

guess I'm being thick today; what do you mean?

I was referring to event-driven programming. If the event, say top-bezel-button-click event is not available when viewing the long text then Eugene can't write code to respond to it. Make sense now?

Yes, it does, I've written windows code before. The thing is, the device could in fact be firing an event when one of the bezel buttons is being pressed but if there is no code there for the event, then the user action goes ignored.

wgnoyes> I am not sure if the difference is in the rooting software or not. I have always used the rooting process defined by jcwren (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162107). This rooting image has several options as part of the rooting image that allows you to change the button and swiping functionality. You can turn on or off screen swiping or associate special functions with specific swiping actions. You can also enable/disable the functionality of the side buttons and also change what those buttons actually do.

If rootnscoreit does not allow you to edit these fundamental settings to do whatever you want, how can you blame that limitation on the PractiScore software? On top of that, how can you expect an application such as PractiScore to magically "Fix" a limitation created by the Rooting process used for the nook?

Before you go on your "We can't have this propeller head type of stuff" excuse of why you shouldn't have to edit or set these kind of functions you need to realize that regardless of how prepackaged the rooting process can be made, you still need a skilled individual to solve these kind of issues. Until USPSA or PractiScore releases a dedicated scoring device that is preloaded with all the stuff needed to score a match, we are stuck in a "Propeller Head" use case.

You've already got the code for this in com/niftybytes/practiscore/ActivityMatchResults.java:

public boolean onKeyDown(int keyCode, KeyEvent event) {
if (keyCode == 92 || keyCode == 94) {
this.webview.scrollBy(0, -200);
return true;
} else if (keyCode != 93 && keyCode != 95) {
return super.onKeyDown(keyCode, event);
} else {
this.webview.scrollBy(0, 200);
return true;
}
}
In com/niftybytes/practiscore/ActivityScoresShootersList.java, override the onKeyDown() method for the WebView class with that same code, and the side buttons will work.

wgnoyes> I am not sure if the difference is in the rooting software or not. I have always used the rooting process defined by jcwren ...

If rootnscoreit does--<SNIP>

Before you go on your "We can't have this propel--<SNIP>

Apparently you don't know. Rootnscoreit is packaged and provided by JCWren. He did it to eliminate as much of the propeller head stuff as was possible. It is THE only rooting system that should be considered by a club getting into electronic scoring with nooks and it is listed as the rooting system of choice by niftybytes itself on the practiscore.com website. Since the vendor lists it as the defacto preferred rooting system, it therefore becomes incumbent upon them to ensure that all functions run correctly on the platform, or work with the rootnscoreit developer (again, JCWren) to come to an accommodation.

Edited by wgnoyes

And no, by your standards, we are still not stuck in propeller head mode, though rootnscoreit pretty much fixed that for the nook side. You can always just get REAL android tablets or iOS devices so that you don't have to jab the device in the side with a fork to get it to run what you want.

You've already got the code for this in com/niftybytes/practiscore/ActivityMatchResults.java:

In com/niftybytes/practiscore/ActivityScoresShootersList.java, override the onKeyDown() method for the WebView class with that same code, and the side buttons will work.

Tried that before. The difference is webview is sitting in main activity layout or in popup dialog.

Besides, according to Bill no one will read that long text anyways. :)

PS: btw, I'm trilled that this scrolling issue is getting so much attention. If that's the most critical problem in the app, it really give me warm and fuzzy feeling

Well you're getting a lot of other attention from others on 1.2.19 for other issues with that beta release.

Why not use a different api to display long documents like the change log or walk-on doc besides web view? It's clearly not suitable for this platform.

So because I've got nothing better to do right now, if you add the following snippet in ActivityModifyShooter.java, ActivityScoresShootersList.java, or ActivityShooterList.java, does it work then?

This would also fix the scrolling in the change log (tapping the version number on the main screen), which also suffers from the scrolling issue.

This should go after the wv.setLayoutParams() call.

wv.setOnKeyDownListener (new View.OnKeyListener () {

@override
public boolean onKey (View v, int keyCode, KeyEvent event) {
if (event == KeyEvent.ACTION_DOWN) {
if (keyCode == 92 || keyCode == 94) {
this.v.scrollBy (0, -200);
return true;
}
if (keyCode == 93 || keyCode == 95) {
this.v.scrollBy (0, 200);
return true;
}
}
return super.onKey (v, keyCode, event);
});
PS: I take "can't" as a challenge.

wgnoyes> I am not sure if the difference is in the rooting software or not. I have always used the rooting process defined by jcwren ...

If rootnscoreit does--<SNIP>

Before you go on your "We can't have this propel--<SNIP>

Apparently you don't know. Rootnscoreit is packaged and provided by JCWren. He did it to eliminate as much of the propeller head stuff as was possible. It is THE only rooting system that should be considered by a club getting into electronic scoring with nooks and it is listed as the rooting system of choice by niftybytes itself on the practiscore.com website. Since the vendor lists it as the defacto preferred rooting system, it therefore becomes incumbent upon them to ensure that all functions run correctly on the platform, or work with the rootnscoreit developer (again, JCWren) to come to an accommodation.

I understand what you are trying to achieve. But I think what you expect this solution should be or who is responsible for making it all work seamlessly is unrealistic to the reality of the situation.

I also want to point out that the more "Monkey Proof" we make these solutions the more we screw over the score keepers ability to understand or troubleshoot issue when they do happen. I shouldn't have to point out that obvious fact that there is NOT a dedicated support team available to babysit "monkey" score keepers through the challenges they face with their solution before, during or after the event. Its up to each score keeper to have the technical knowledge and logical troubleshooting sense to support themselves when the proverbial wheels fall off the wagon.

I have lost count of how many times a local club score keeper has called me into the score shack during a match to help them figure out or fix and issue with a Nook, PractiScore, or EzWinScore. The same thing goes with fielding phone calls or e-mails from score keepers needing help in solving these solution issues. I graciously do my best to help when I can, but some times I am not available and these score keepers are pretty much up the creek without a paddle because they don't want to put in the effort to understand how all of this stuff works so they can fix issues on their own. Until USPSA or PractiScore creates a 1-800-HELP hot line to babysit these inexperienced or uneducated score keepers through whatever their issues are on their scoring solution, its up to each and every one of them to put on their "Propeller Head", roll up their sleeves and take care of themselves.

Bill, hmm, are you expecting me to provide a detailed report on every decision I have to make when building this app?

In short, nothing else is suitable to show scrollable long texts with formatting across all devices and I am not exactly interested to entertain idea of implementing a custom control with manual text rendering.

I'm not expecting you to tell me anything. I WOULD think you would want to explore all reasonably available possibilities when trying to solve a given problem. If you say that webview is the only way of showing long texts, I'll accept that, I guess. As opposed to just creating a static form in the app with the text contained therein? Consider the sync tab and the resulting form, with controls that lead off the bottom edge of the screen and have to be scrolled up/down to see them all. You couldn't just create a similar form with a single big text box in it containing the material you want to show and let people scroll up and down normally that way?

That is what I did (using a web view, because I needed to show formatted long text), but what made you think any other controls would scroll with those buttons? As I said before, I've already used up time I dedicated to this issue, so it goes to the bottom of the todo list for me.

But you, on the other hand, still have an option to rewrite that text to a shorter variant instead of harassing me here about changing out of the box UI control behavior on a given device.