Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Huge PractiScore problem! Any help

ogre56

RO's shot today for our sectional and none of the nooks will export the stages & scores! Every nook says the information was saved to the SD card but there are no files! Have tried 4 different Nooks, including my new Nook HD Plus all with the same lack of result.

Using PractiScore 1.2.18 that the Nooks were upgraded to last night

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I will be putting in the scores from out paper backup

Thanks

Larry Watson L2214

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing. HD and phone have a "Device time mismatch" It did sync with the Nook Simple touch told the phone to export stages & scores, it tells me saved successfully but no files in the Practescore/ezwin... folder

got the files on a friends ipad and emailed them. The stages imported but when trying to import the scores I get a "Score import aborted - a member number (-1) found in the transfer file is not registered in this match"

Any idea how to find this error? Also I might mention that this is our first run with online squading

Thanks

Larry

You need to make sure all nooks time are within a minute to two within one another. If the times on the nooks are way off they will not sync the data between them.

There is an app called clocksync that uses an atomic clock on the internet to sync the time of the nook. You need internet connectivity for the clocksync app to work.

If you need the clocksync app pm me your email address and I will get it to you.

As for your mismatched -1 shooter, I would suggest you getall of the nooks time issues fixed first. Then totally delete the match in your master nook. Then sync the master nook with all of the scoring nooks. Then delete the whole match in EzWinScore then reconfigure the whole match again from scratch. Then import your registered shooters. Then import the stages, then import the scores.

This sounds like a crap ton of work but restarting from scratch is really the only way to "fix" it.

I'm past that issue, but now cannot import the scores because of the above listed -1 error. Any clue on how I can find what is wrong?

Also pulled another Nook that has not been sync'ed with this match and it did the export just fine for our last monthly match. So this has to be something in the shooter information.

Someone did add the same shooter to both Nooks separately and there was an issue. From one nook it showed the correct name but with 1/8 stages scored and the other shooter by the same name had 7/8 stages scored. I cannot find any way to delete the incorrect one or both and I would manually enter his scores from the paper back up.

Have not a clue if that caused a problem or if it is some glitch from the online squading.

You can try fixing it by deleting the redundant shooters stage result then delete them from the registration all on the "extra" nook. Then sync the extra nook with the master and see if that irons it out.

Otherwise you may have to completely delete that shooter from the nooks and master then manually input his scores into EzWinScore using the hard copies.

Actually it is easier than that. You just need to sync both duplicates into one device, and change them to "walkins" (you can read about it ifbyou tap (i) icon next to walkin checkbox), then app will offer you to merge scores (if key fields for those shooters will match, see more details on that info screen).

Thanks for all the help but at this point I am going to score on the Nooks and not import into EzWinScore. I will try to figure out exactly what is going on after the match and post what, if anything, I find.

Again thanks for all the help tonight

Larry

You people are scaring me....

For the -1 issue, go into sync, select 'email match export file' or 'export match to another app' and before it actually starts that process, it'll detect the -1's and offer to fix it for you. Let him, and then dump out of the export process. All your guys will be renumbered.

You don't need clock sync or any other app for nooks to adjust their own time. All they need is internet connectivity for awhile and they'll fix themselves. The time range I'm told is within 10 minutes of one another, not 1-2.

And at least you have paper backup. NOW you know why we always insist upon having paper at even a Lvl1 match.

Something else to consider is that if you created your match in EzWinScore, OR your competitors all had EzWinScore numbers assigned already, the -1's are going to occur at the end. On the "Enter/Edit Shooters" screen, if you set the sort order to "None", it SHOULD be your most recently added competitors that will have an EZWS number of -1. These are usually caused by some fool using "Add Walk-on" instead "Move Shooter To Squad", or, in the case of Area 6, "Well, we couldn't find them in the NOOK, so we added them." 3 FREAKIN' TIMES!

JC< that last, where someone decided to HELP by adding a shooter to each nook, 3x on one squad, because they couldn't find them caused me no end of aggravation. I copied out each shooter and each individual score, deleted the whole group one at a time, added one shooter for each to just the master and then entered all the scores, what a mess.

I have however found that 99% of the day to day issues are simple to solve. I do wish that we could however 'lock' the stage units so only our IT Staff could make changes to stages or shooters. It would make like a lot less 'interesting' at the end of the day

JC< that last, where someone decided to HELP by adding a shooter to each nook, 3x on one squad, because they couldn't find them caused me no end of aggravation. I copied out each shooter and each individual score, deleted the whole group one at a time, added one shooter for each to just the master and then entered all the scores, what a mess...

Didn't have to do that. See my post #11 above.

Those shooters wasn't entered as "walk-ins". So, all you need to do is to check the "walk-in" flag on the shooter editing screen. The app would merge the scores for you and you don't have to re-enter them.

PS: I am pretty sure Android app shows if shooter is a walk-in in the shooter's list.

PPS: in a recent Android app version there are new "walk-in" screen flow which shows a long info page when you try to add one from the shooter scoring screen...

Bill, you CAN read it. As I replied you in the report, you can use regular swipe to scroll it.

Not much I can do beyond that, other than rewriting it to a shorter version to fit the screen, which I also asked you to help with.

And I wrote back telling you no you CAN'T swipe the screen, either. I tried it. You can't. Your documentation on the screen, as completely displayed on a google nexus 7, is good. You just need to be able to see it on a nook.

(Checking again on 1.2.18): Confirmed. You absolutely CANNOT swipe the screen up or down, nor use the bezel up-down "buttons" to see the bottom of the text. Confirmed on 1.2.19 beta as well; still doesn't work.

https://practiscore.com/bugs/view.php?id=371

Shows assigned to you on June 4th.

Edited by wgnoyes

These type of issues brings up the question of needing different functional use "Modes" for the PractiScore software. It would be nice to see the current functionality marked as "Advanced" or "Score Keeper" mode where you can edit or change whatever you want, whenever you want. Then you can have a different "RO" or "User" Mode that truncates the functionality to basically only perform the minimal functions needed to score the match. Disabling all editing features like this should dramatically reduce the self induced user misuse issues that are experienced during matches. You could even set it up that to get PractiScore out of "RO / User" mode you need to input a password that is set by the Score Keeper. That would make it VERY hard for the RO's or Shooters to throw a monkey wrench into the works by screwing around with features or functions that they shouldn't be using. What do you guys think?

JC< that last, where someone decided to HELP by adding a shooter to each nook, 3x on one squad, because they couldn't find them caused me no end of aggravation. I copied out each shooter and each individual score, deleted the whole group one at a time, added one shooter for each to just the master and then entered all the scores, what a mess...

Didn't have to do that. See my post #11 above.

Those shooters wasn't entered as "walk-ins". So, all you need to do is to check the "walk-in" flag on the shooter editing screen. The app would merge the scores for you and you don't have to re-enter them.

PS: I am pretty sure Android app shows if shooter is a walk-in in the shooter's list.

PPS: in a recent Android app version there are new "walk-in" screen flow which shows a long info page when you try to add one from the shooter scoring screen...

The 'Help' I had entered the individuals by either typing them in or selecting them from the list, I don't remember. this was an earlier version. hopefully I won't face this again anyway. That said. locking the stage units for other than score entry would solve this. I think.

...That said. locking the stage units for other than score entry would solve this. I think.

I am not against it, but it will only be good until someone have to score shooter that is not on the Nook and RM will broadcast the "unlock" password over the radio for entire range...

Eugene, Remember you can't fix stupid! IF we have the lock, most will use it. There will always be someone to screw up the processes, but products can't be designed for the bottom 3% or the top 3%. The bottom will screw up a stone and the top will be able to figure out ways around anything mere mortal build, teh rest of the world falls in the middle and will tinker a bit and push the limits a bit, but they are the ones that will use the product.

The possibility of the match staff ineffectively keeping the practiscore lock down password secret has no baring on the very valid need for this lock down feature. If the match staff wants to manage the lock down password like knuckle heads then they deserve the train wreck that will happen when people misuse or abuse the access to the setup features.

As a match director I would much rather put in more registration effort up front to make sure that the "We need to add a shooter to the Nook in the middle of the match" situations DO NOT happen in the first place. The minimal amount of extra work up front it takes to do this is well worth the effort given the fact that locking down the Nooks to keep people from screwing them up will ensure smooth score keeping through the entire match and also when the match is over. That and forcing tardy shooters to take on the name of "WALKIN 67" for the day because they can't get their lazy ass to the range to sign up on time has proven to be a good motivator for them to show up on time at future matches. It also helps when the rest of the squad heckles the Walkin shooters for being tardy dead beats.