Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

back up guns

Revofan

Not ideal or perfect, but I always pack my limited gun as a backup. No optic but better than being a spectator !

Exactly. I can't imagine anyone spending any amount of money in these games that doesn't have an extra handgun of some type that would be semi-appropriate. Just throw SOMETHING in the bag at the very least.

Shooting a stage with a pistol that you've never run under pressure before is way more fun than a bland, typical and uneventful one that you've drilled 40+ times.

• 1 month later...

I've always carried a backup, even for local matches. Only needed it a couple of times over the years until last week at the Natl's. First gun went down after two days and used backup for the balance of the match. Barrell link broke five rounds into the last stage.Finished up balance of thirtytwo rd. stage bolt action.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 20+ year old (serial # 3XX) STI open gun I've been using, and it has been flawless. A used LImcat became available so I bought it for a backup. Both with Cmores in 38 Super. Went to the Nationals in St George a couple of weeks ago with the last 300 rounds of my Remington-cased ammo and about 700 rounds loaded with brand new Winchester brass. When I ran out of the Remington ammo I switched to the Winchester brass and my bullets began keyholing immediately. Same loader, powder charge, etc. There is a testfire range there and I found the Winchester brass did not keyhole in the Limcat. So finished the last two days with it. Even though I wasn't that familiar with it, having a backup pistol made the experience easier to swallow. I've since measured and checked pulled bullets, slugged bores, and can't see why the bullets keyhole in one pistol and not the other. The only difference I can see (under 30x) is that the bullets from the Winchester brass seem to have a small scratch at the case mouth location. I'm going to try less crimp for the STI and see how that works.

The more you run Race Guns and the more you want to win tells you weather or not you need a backup gun. I go to every match with 2 guns. I have seen guns from lots of builders go down at matches.

Guns go down for many reasons:

Bad ammo

Part breaks (every part has a failure rate, even if its low you could get the bad one)

Gun was not broken in on the bench (builders can break all the edges of the guns, this eliminates break in periods)

Gun was build improperly

Part or spring wears out

mag issues

The best guns will have very low failure rates these guns will be in the $5k range, but they still can have problems (just very rare).

$3k to $4k guns will be more of a hit or miss some will run great some will have issues.

I would always go to a match with two guns just to make sure i can finish the match. Its been a while since i have had a gun go down in a match, but i have had it happen and getting another gun that is the same out of your bag is awesome.

Remember we are racing guns, like racing cars reliability is necessary and the more we push the limits the more we risk breaking things. The intake in a race car is priced on how much time is in the polishing. Guns should be the same, the more internal work and polishing the better they will run and longer they will last.