Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Amazon Kindle 2GB B006zzeuxm

JHolmes

Will the Amazon Kindle 2GB Model #B006zzeuxm run the practiscore app? If so, is there a special process for loading? Does it have to be rooted like the nook?

Sorry if this is a redundant question. Did a quick search and didn't see it covered.

No chance. Nooks come with an old version of android dedicated to running one app: the e-reader. Because there's a flavor of android buried underneath the covers at all, that's how folks are able to root these to turn them more-or-less into generic android tablets. Kindle readers don't even have THAT much of an operating system under the covers. My understanding is the "system" is nothing more than a dedicated browser designed to read their e-books. There literally is nothing there to root.

Depends on your definition of low cost.

You can look around for cheap REAL android tablets, but none of them will offer the battery life needed to last a whole day at the range. If you go this route, be sure to avoid the REALLY cheap chinese tablets that have resistive-touch (I think that's the term) screens. That is, multiple layers and you actually mash down on the screen to do anything, and it gives under your finger pressure. Those may look all right indoors, but take one outside and it milks over white and you can't see anything. The google nexus 7 (or equivalent Asus model; Asus builds Google's tablets) is a good choice for a solid android tablet that'll do the job. If you can find the prior version of it as compared to the current version, it even costs less then the current $229.

Edited by wgnoyes

The original Kindle Fire HD will run PractiScore. If you get the first generation one they run around $120 for a refurbished one. At our club we use NST's for stages and a Nexus 7 for the master though lately I've been using my iPad as the master.