Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate no5

Psynapse

Powder is all kinds of scarce up here in Canada so when something good comes up we jump on it pretty quick

I might have the opportunity to pick up a pile of Accurate no5 if it works for me. Thing is I can't find any use full info on loading it for my application; 40 s&w, 180g,1.185 oal, making major power factor for IPSC in an STI Edge. My reloading manual doesn't list anything for that weight projectile nor that length and googling for days isn't working out.

Anyways... I've been using titegroup for about three years and I thought I may try a slower less snappy powder.

Anyone have any experience with this powder in this application? Any starting loads to hit major with?

According to the info I have in a manual from Accurate, you should have no problem making major with that OAL. They list the OAL for that weight Hornady XTP as 1.135 using 5.9-6.6 gr of #5. Velocities run from 888 fps with the start load up to 965 fps for the 6.6 gr load. Loading longer as you do will lower those velocities, but for that weight bullet you only need 916 fps for major. Going up to 945 fps would give you a "cushion" of 170 instead of the necessary 165 pf.

FYI/YMMV

Alan~^~

Thanks for the info. I'm looking over Accurate PDF right now. I guess its going to be a bit of trial and error. Forgot to mention ... Major Standard. A min power factor of 170. I run just under 175 to be safe.

Any idea how to determine a max load for a different oal than a company lists? I think its safe to assume that a max of 6.6g for example is for that particular listed oal. If lengthening my rounds by .05 more than their example causes the fps to drop too low would it be safe to exceed the 6.6g max? I would think so but I don't want to risk my fingers and gun based on assumptions.

Psynapse,

That's where a chrono comes in handy. Check the velocity on the shorter load and match it with the longer OAL while checking for pressure signs. That should work just fine.

Their info is for that specific load, bullet and OAL. So long as you don't exceed the pressures, a longer load should get you where you want to be in relation to PF since they show that PF in a shorter cartridge. Watch for flattening primers and you might want to measure the cases just ahead of the extractor groove (case web) before & after to see how much expansion you get. Do this with their load and again with your extended rounds for comparison. Exceeding their powder charge will be OK for a longer cartridge so long as you work up slowly and watch for signs that you've gone far enough.

You're headed in the right direction by being cautious, but this should work in the end.

Alan~^~

Alan~^~

I've used no5 in the past in 9mm and I found it very dirty. Its possible that this isn't an issue at higher pressures for major.

It is worse in .40. so dirty I had to clean after 2 stages or the guns wouldn't run on the 3rd stage.That is a 180 Gr Moley @1.225 OAL.

In 9MM with a 147Gr moley i can go a whole match and not clean, however that is a 155PF load out of my 6" 9MM.

Out.

2011BLDR