Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power in the US: best time to purchase?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recoil springs are good to have on hand. My guideline is if the brass is flying further than 10 feet, it's time for a new spring. Hammer springs, just cuz. Firing pin retaining roll pins as extensive dry fire can deform them over time. Trigger return springs as well can weaken.

As for parts, push it long and hard enough, and you may break a hammer. I've heard of four breaking in the last two years. Three were very high mileage.

That's about it. Extractors seem to last forever. The ejector is built like a tank. It's like my Dillon 1050. Aside from consumable items like springs, it lasts forever.

Yes, the hammers... We know where they break and I suspect they do after at least 20k rounds, which is what I put in both my GP6 and K100 before each hammer broke. I guess one should get a new one in before each season and keep the old one as a spare.

I want to be honest and outright about this issue, because I believe that Grand Power needs to do something about it. I have an idea on how to improve on the design but what do I know?

Any lighter recoil springs available for k100 gp6? My reloads that make minor leave the brass at my feet and occasionally hit my hands. Loving the gun more each time I shoot it though!

I think you sure do shoot a lot for a B class shooter.

The GP6 was an STI hammer.

But I am a SOLID B class shooter, and that takes time and dedication.

Jaro told me that, yes, STI used a different alloy for their hammers. I do not believe the issue is the alloy, because STI forges hammers that are solid enough for the regular Browning-design stuff. I am not an expert but I have a bit of a hard time accepting that STI is at fault here.

I believe the Achilles' heel of the hammer is the part behind the spring well. Springing (lighter recoil spring) may decrease the lifespan of the hammer too, but overall it is a very thin piece and it takes a lot of punishing.

Otherwise, I do order 6 or 7 crates (3,300 9mm) of bullets a year. I do not believe that this constitutes "a lot" in this hobby. I know guys who shoot a crate every other week. I wish I had more time :) But all-year sunny weather is sure nice.

I am going to have to suggest some training and some dry fire, shooting those amounts of ammo I think just about anyone who WANTS to improve could be a M level shooter. It kind of depresses me, I can't afford that kind of ammo, i dryfire the heck out of what I do, but still can't turn that much money into noise.

Slide velocity may play a part in that.

As for recoil springs I don't go as light as some could, while playing with a friends x-caliber, i can make the barrel come out of battery enough to make a clicking sound on any draw less than .9 I don't like that feeling. I use a CZ 11 pound spring cut it off about 3/4 of an inch in front of the slide. ( i can count the coils or measure if one would like. It piles the brass in about a 2 ft circle between 5 and 7 ft away.

Steve, I have been shooting competitively for less than 3 years, while co-parenting, studying for certifications and being active in my church.

I dry fire every day and I am happy where I am. By the way I have got a few 80+% in classifiers. The amount of work and concentration to go to M and GM level is exponential. I'll probably end up being in the A class and happy to be there, but I have absolutely no interest in being an M or a GM. I know people who do and who are literally obsessed with this sport to the point of ending relationships and getting into divorce over it.

I am also 46 and a very late starter. I am at the point where my eye sight is starting to go bad, especially in my dominant eye.

That said, the X-Calibur is a great improvement and has allowed me to actually make a few waves lately and get noticed. I am a walking ad for the Grand Power pistols, ask any shooter in the Phoenix area.

I am going to have to suggest some training and some dry fire, shooting those amounts of ammo I think just about anyone who WANTS to improve could be a M level shooter. It kind of depresses me, I can't afford that kind of ammo, i dryfire the heck out of what I do, but still can't turn that much money into noise.

Slide velocity may play a part in that.

As for recoil springs I don't go as light as some could, while playing with a friends x-caliber, i can make the barrel come out of battery enough to make a clicking sound on any draw less than .9 I don't like that feeling. I use a CZ 11 pound spring cut it off about 3/4 of an inch in front of the slide. ( i can count the coils or measure if one would like. It piles the brass in about a 2 ft circle between 5 and 7 ft away.

Steve,

Ive got a small stockpile of CZ springs and an excal on the way. Would you mind counting coils for me? Id like to do this exact instead of experimenting and it sounds like you've done the work to verify that your spring setup works.

a lot of folks may have sacrificed a relationship but if it was not strong enough to survive then better to find out then. Proper training really has accelerated the time frame made much less effort required.

I wish you happynes in your shooting. ( got my GM card years ago. going to see about picking one up in limited just for the fun of it, it was a great struggle, in which i have learned much about myself and shooting. but it was definitley worth the effort.. to some it may not be worth it.

Steve, I have been shooting competitively for less than 3 years, while co-parenting, studying for certifications and being active in my church.

I dry fire every day and I am happy where I am. By the way I have got a few 80+% in classifiers. The amount of work and concentration to go to M and GM level is exponential. I'll probably end up being in the A class and happy to be there, but I have absolutely no interest in being an M or a GM. I know people who do and who are literally obsessed with this sport to the point of ending relationships and getting into divorce over it.

I am also 46 and a very late starter. I am at the point where my eye sight is starting to go bad, especially in my dominant eye.

That said, the X-Calibur is a great improvement and has allowed me to actually make a few waves lately and get noticed. I am a walking ad for the Grand Power pistols, ask any shooter in the Phoenix area.

Steve,

Thanks buddy. No rush on counting the spring, i dont even have the gun yet so its not like im rushing to the range to shoot it.

Between the Xcal and the X trim models, i wanted the Xcal only because of the adjustable rear. Im sure the regular, x trim guns shoot marvelously.