Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 round 40 mag, fits in the box... go...

mikeg1005

I have the Tripp Corey mags with the polymer followers and they hold 9 rounds with ease. I bought a steel flex follower to try out and it allows 10 rounds but they are tight and may give trouble seating. I have not tried it at the range yet.

As mentioned the Trip Corey mags will work with 9 rounds as they have the hybrid follower but if you use the standard follower you can load 10 in the mag. Also they will fit in the IDPA and USPSA box. I use them in my Trojan.

The Tripp Corey mags are the 10mm mags but they are modified to fit box. Standard 10mm 10 round mags will be too long.

Dawson sells them as well. That's where I got mine. Just make sure they are listed as "basepad trimmed to fit in box"

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=MAGAZINE+COMPLETE%3A1911+Single+Stack:40SW+and10mm+Magazines+for+1911

Yep, Tripp System mags with the Flex follower are 10-rnd 10mm/.40-long mags that fit the box. Tripp Corey mags from what I understand are the same mags but with the Hybrid follower which restricts you to 9-rnd capacity. The mag tubes are a little longer than the norm and extend into the basepad, but still fits the box. The front corner (about where would grind a 47DE basepad) is ground down to fit the box.

The 10 round mags are loadable (unlike some of the problems people have with 2011 .40 mags loaded to 20-21), but the 10th round is a little tight when thumbing rounds into the mag and sometimes the Flex follower pops out the top of the mag at slide lock. With only 9 or 8 in the mag they lock in super easy and the Hybrid follower is bomb-proof. I have yet to have one cause a malf in practice or in a match.

Steel1212 should be able to tell you what he did with Tripp to come out with the System and Corey mags.

To the best of my knowledge the Tripp Corey mags were 10 round 10mm mags, but as said I don't believe they will still hold 10 rounds for 2 reasons. one being the follower and the other being b/c they shorten the actual mag body and then modify the floorplate to fit the box. I may be wrong on cutting the body. has anyone else heard that before.

Wayne I have a Tripp 10 round .40 mag and it is longer than the 10mm Tripp Corey mags. Even with the shorter body with the standard followers you can still fit 10 rounds of .40 in it. Not sure how they do it but it works. Here's a pic of the .40 10 rounder on left and the Corey on the right.

QizdBJS.jpg

Why use Tripp Corey? I like them as I can load my 8 rounds in the belt mags and then 9 in my line mag to load and make ready. No Barney mag needed. Also having the 8 in a 9 round mag makes loading the mag with the slide forward easier as less spring compression.

Not just for USPSA but being able to use the mags with the standard follower and get 10 rounds in for IDPA ESP or the local steel matches that limit at 10 rounds a mag.

Wayne I have a Tripp 10 round .40 mag and it is longer than the 10mm Tripp Corey mags. Even with the shorter body with the standard followers you can still fit 10 rounds of .40 in it. Not sure how they do it but it works. Here's a pic of the .40 10 rounder on left and the Corey on the right.

QizdBJS.jpg

Rob, that's the point. the 10 round 40 cal mag is too long to fit the box. they take a 10mm mag b/c dimensional it allows you to load to longer OAL and then shorten it so it will sit below the common (dawson ice) magwell. their 8 round (might be a 9 round) 40 cal mag sits flush with said magwells. that's the beauty of the corey mag is it holds 8, sit below the magwell, fits the box, and it improves feeding.

we are talking .40 major, or at least I am. I shot SS minor all last year while waiting for my build to come in and work out all the kinks. I did well at club level matches, but man do the little mistakes get increased. I have more room for error shooting major, which I need.

10 works for starting, but there is no way I would consider them reloadable. You would have to cut the spring to the point that I am not sure I would trust it over multiple stages. As Corey himself told me, they CAN hold ten with the metal flex follower, but that isn't the point/purpose.

I was curious about it myself with the intention of shooting SS minor with 40 for specific matches.

Nah, it doesn't unless you like mags that are ridiculously hard to seat.

That has not been my experience running the Corey mags with the flex follower loaded to 10 rnds. They seat just fine.

Same with me. Seat just fine.

Really? That's good to know, but sucks for me.

I need to call and speak with Aaron again. I ordered both sets of followers. Hybrid and Flex with my system mags.

With the Hybrid follower, of course they only hold 9, but with the Flex follower installed to hold ten, it is a very tight fit, and I have to use quite a bit of force to seat the mag. When I eject the mag, I have to use quite a bit of force to press the button, and the magazine ejects with a "snap."

This is a Trojan frame, and I have the standard and raised version of the Dawson Posi Locks in my possession. Both produce the same behavior.

Not the sure what the hell is up. I would reaaaally love to be able to have ten reloadable. I am starting to wonder if I was sent a set of Flex followers that weren't modified for ten perhaps.

Edited by JaeOne3345

If you are using a raised mag catch, one that holds the mags higher that could be the issue with seating. I once installed one of those EGW raised mag catches to see I that would resolve a feeding problem I was having and those require that you seat the mags with more force.