Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 SP01 Shadow - Shoot 800 Rounds in One Day - Need to Clean/Lube at

RaylanGivens

I'm taking a two day class this weekend... I've been advised that we'll shoot around 800 rounds each of the two days... The most I've shot in one day is about 300 rounds...

I have a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow and generally clean and lube it between matches or after a couple of hundred rounds. Should I do anything special when shooting 800 rounds in one day?

My plan is to wipe down and relube the area where the barrel slides on the frame and also the slide grooves... I'll probably do that at mid-day and then clean the whole gun after the first day.

Any other areas I should clean or lube?

LOL.

Ive ran over 5k rounds through guns without cleaning with zero issues.

Add lube if you want (probably recommended) and truck on.

The worst case scenario is you wipe down the internals, or grab a can of brake cleaner if you absolutely MUST get rid of the grit and crud inside of the frame in between days.

I would just add lube and truck on.

I have put around 1400-1600 rds through mine before I seen any issues. The feeding at that point started to get sluggish but that was not due to the slide being dirty or a lack of lube, but rather a lot of dirt around the feed ramp. Personally I would clean the feed ramp, run a bore snake through the barrel and have fun. A lot depends how dirty your powder is. Running Vit N320 I have far exceeded the above numbers.

Just lube generously and see at what point it fails. I shot a 3 day (2000rd) class with a new to me gun that I didn't do any maintenance to during that time. On the flip side, there were guys running polymer guns, cleaned daily and still had failures. And people say the 1911/2011 platform isn't reliable.

I have a 9mm 2011 that I used in another class last year, and 4 USPSA matches this year and still haven't cleaned it, just add some lube when needed.

Here the barrel after that 3 day class

y2uga6ab.jpg

Edited by Quack

It's a class—no big deal if the pistol gives up at some point due to fouling. Add lube at lunch time, then add some more at the end of the day but don't clean it. Same thing at lunch the next day. If you SP01 is like mine, it will run just fine all weekend and you'll have more confidence in the pistol when you're done.

Clean it before day one, wipe it down add a little oil that night, shoot in day two. I woudn't bother doing anything at lunch, not necessary.

I took a Class with Manny two years ago and that's what i did. No issues.

I would definitely bring some athletic tape or something like it as well as bandaids. Figure out the rub spots within the first hour or two of the class and put the bandaids and tape on then! Don't wait until there are blisters. The athletic tape will help keep the bandaids on. Bandaids by themselves won't last long.

If you don't have one already, get an extra slide stop. Have extra parts for everything, but mostly the slide stop. If it breaks, and you don't have one, you're done, and your class will be over. Bummer of a way to end the class, especially if it happens on day one.

The advice to bring an extra slide stop is a good one. I'd suggest getting in touch with Cajun Gun Works to order a their trigger return spring and floating trigger pin along with the slide stop. The factory TRS will pick an inopportune time to break.

Taping up is good advice if you're a new shooter and haven't developed the calluses on your hands.

Another point that has caused me problems on a gun that was dirty but otherwise running fine was when the feed ramp got so gunked up the rounds couldn't slide up it into the chamber. I would pull the barrel at lunch and at the end of the day and just wipe down the feed ramp with a paper towel, bit of lube and you would be good to go.

I have put around 1400-1600 rds through mine before I seen any issues. The feeding at that point started to get sluggish but that was not due to the slide being dirty or a lack of lube, but rather a lot of dirt around the feed ramp. Personally I would clean the feed ramp, run a bore snake through the barrel and have fun. A lot depends how dirty your powder is. Running Vit N320 I have far exceeded the above numbers.

Good tip... For some reason my feed ramp usually gets a coating of lube on it after a match... Doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I always wipe it off...

I'm also using N320... Thanks for the info...

Bring bandages. :ph34r:

800 rounds should cause at least one bleeding episode -

followed by 800 more rounds on your sore, open hand.

But, it's worth every minute ...

Have a blast.

You going to Frostproof?

It's a small two day class put on by the Junior shooters at the Wyoming Antelope Club in Clearwater... A couple of them are on the IPSC World Shoot team, so it's part fund raiser, part class... Should be fun...

Clean it before day one, wipe it down add a little oil that night, shoot in day two. I woudn't bother doing anything at lunch, not necessary.

I took a Class with Manny two years ago and that's what i did. No issues.

I would definitely bring some athletic tape or something like it as well as bandaids. Figure out the rub spots within the first hour or two of the class and put the bandaids and tape on then! Don't wait until there are blisters. The athletic tape will help keep the bandaids on. Bandaids by themselves won't last long.

If you don't have one already, get an extra slide stop. Have extra parts for everything, but mostly the slide stop. If it breaks, and you don't have one, you're done, and your class will be over. Bummer of a way to end the class, especially if it happens on day one.

Good advice on the athletic tape... I have bandaids, but didn't think of athletic tape...

The advice to bring an extra slide stop is a good one. I'd suggest getting in touch with Cajun Gun Works to order a their trigger return spring and floating trigger pin along with the slide stop. The factory TRS will pick an inopportune time to break.

Taping up is good advice if you're a new shooter and haven't developed the calluses on your hands.

I do have a spare slide stop and also a spare SP-01 (not Shadow) that is set up similar to my Shadow... I'll bring them both and the spare parts... I'm starting a list... Good info...

making sure your mags that hit the ground are taken apart and cleaned between days.

+1. Or even more often, if there's a lot of sand, fine grit.

I shoot there quite a bit... More often there is mud... :-(

Usually clean one or two magazines between stages... Hope it doesn't rain this weekend, but at 50% chance both days, I'm sure there will be some rain...

A couple drops of lube after the first day would probably be fine for that class. I would bring a spare extractor and slide release pin or consider bringing a back up pistol. Nothing worse than not being able to finish a class that you paid money for because your gun went down.

Everything above - with the N320 have run 1000 round days and still pretty clean, just a little lube for day two (SP01 Shadow).

For a class, a spare gun in the car (and kit if different setup) nice if you have failure that takes more than a few minutes to fix. Every class of 10 or more that I've been in has had one person with some issue where a gun swap was better than suffering a problem rest of class.

For your hands, one top shooter recommended this first day of a two day class ( http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcare/Nexcare/ProductCat/~/Absolute-Waterproof-Tape?N=3294631805+4326&rt=rud ), it really helps those areas that will get a lot of wear - i.e. from trigger guard (middle finger kuckle) or beavertail (area between thumb and index finger), etc, works very nice - something easy to get at CVS or drug store chain near you. I think a lot more flexible than cloth athletic tape, and won't shed if you sweat/it gets wet. Get a few rolls and you will have instant friends at lunchtime day 1 of class and day 2 :-)

Everything above - with the N320 have run 1000 round days and still pretty clean, just a little lube for day two (SP01 Shadow).

For a class, a spare gun in the car (and kit if different setup) nice if you have failure that takes more than a few minutes to fix. Every class of 10 or more that I've been in has had one person with some issue where a gun swap was better than suffering a problem rest of class.

For your hands, one top shooter recommended this first day of a two day class ( http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcare/Nexcare/ProductCat/~/Absolute-Waterproof-Tape?N=3294631805+4326&rt=rud ), it really helps those areas that will get a lot of wear - i.e. from trigger guard (middle finger kuckle) or beavertail (area between thumb and index finger), etc, works very nice - something easy to get at CVS or drug store chain near you. I think a lot more flexible than cloth athletic tape, and won't shed if you sweat/it gets wet. Get a few rolls and you will have instant friends at lunchtime day 1 of class and day 2 :-)

That is the exact stuff i used when i took the class. it saved my hands. I would recommend it highly!

In addition to breaking down my mags after each stage and applying a few drops of lube on the rails between days is to run a mag brush up through the mag well and protrude just past ejection port on a locked back slide. Repeat that a couple of times and it ensures mags drop freely. To address the feed ramp, I run a bore snake up the mag well and through the barrel. As I pull the bore snake through, I keep tension at the bottom of the bore snake to apply pressure to the feed ramp. I do that a few times and the feed ramp is clean ans shiny.

I wanted to see how much I can push my gun and mags and ran a local match yesterday without having it cleaned from Area 3 match.

Mags need to be cleaned out as I had 2 mags ceize up from dirt/sand. My gun would not shut its slide from combat reloads when I ran it empty, but no cycling issues.

So I think it is important to clean the magazines after every match.

That is the exact stuff i used when i took the class. it saved my hands. I would recommend it highly!

Thanks for the heads up on the Nexcare tape... I looked in several different stores and finally found some at a large Publix (grocery chain) in my area... Bought several roles...

Looking forward to the class tomorrow...