Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed vs accuracy

waynes_world_45

Ok so I'm new to Open. I have shot primarily Production for 6 years. I am a high B 73%. I have put about 800 rounds through my new open gun in 6 matches so far. At first I was shooting slow and deliberate, no mikes, like production and everyone kept telling me to speed up, trust the gun. Well there seems to be no middle ground with me. Now I'm hauling ass, running times like the A and Master shooters I shoot with, but missing.

Do I slow down and watch the dot more deliberately or keep the speed up and see if the hits come with more trigger time?

Hello: Look at the target and bring the dot to the target. Don't look through the scope. When I start looking through the scope I tape off the front of the C-More and shoot with both eyes open. The dot will be there believe it or not. You can dry fire if you don't believe it. Keep the speed up and learn the dot. Also why are you missing? Not seeing the target? Try the tape on the C-More and see if that helps---it should. Thanks, Eric

Do I slow down and watch the dot or keep the speed up and see if the hits come?

If you don't "watch the dot", the hits will never come.

You have to watch the dot.

As quickly as possible.

Only a portion of your speed should come from racing the shots - instead,

race everything else (reload, draw, movement, etc).

BTW, if you're a B shooter, and running as fast as A shooters,

you're going too fast. Slow it down, watch the dot, and miracles

will occur. :cheers:

Every time I think in terms of "fast" and "slow" my scores suffer. If you can shoot 73% in Production it obvious you can shoot, so shoot. It sounds like you're just throwing lead downrange right now.

I don't think there's much to be gained by "speeding up" (read: rush, not call shots) the actual shooting, but the movements and the execution of the stage plan hold the greatest potential for time savings.

Balance.

You can shoot. We all can shoot to one degree or another.

What few do well is move.

It's the difference that separates us from good, better and best.

The miss is foot speed. We think trigger speed is core. Not entirely.

Next match concentrate on your feet. Keep the gun up, engage when entering and exiting a shooting position.

Plan it well and MOVE as fast as you can.

Our host proved many years ago that accuracy is the first consideration. Shoot only as fast as you can hit your target. With practice your speed will increase. But spraying rounds as fast as you can and trying to practice your way to better accuracy is never gonna work.

When you are practicing, pay close attention to your sight picture and where the gun is in your hands. Work on getting a consistent grip that puts the sights comfortably lined up in front of your eyes. Start slow and pay attention, then gradually increase your speed.

Practice accuracy so you know what that feels like. Practice speed so you know how it feels to be on fire. Practice shooting and letting your vision/gun/dot tell you its time for the next shot or action. Shoot matches like that.

Its hardly ever about slowing down. Its more about paying attention to the correct thing at the correct time.

I learned how my dot tracked at speed by shooting Bill Drills on a steel A zone. Shoot only as fast as you can keep the steel ringing. If it doesn't ring, slow down, see what you need to see. Change distances. This taught me what shooting fast AND accurately felt like.

Speed up. Get the idea out of your head that you need to slow down to get your hits. Shoot at full speed and figure out why you are missing. Is it poor trigger control? Poor recoil control? Not aquiring the target or pulling off early? If you don't figure it out at speed you'll never be able to go fast, you'll forever be stuck thinking you have to be slow to be successful

If you miss either the gun wasn't pointed at the target or you yanked the gun off the target.

Stop doing that.

The noise from an open gun may have given you a flinch.

Stuffing some dummy rounds in your magazines and running in your fast mode should tell you what is going on.

DNH

Hahaha...slow down, balance, and speed up.....about covers all the possible remedies

I have no idea why the misses. I can call a miss on production, but I swore I had good dot on paper on 90% of these misses. Maybe I am pulling off to fast. Maybe not seeing the second shot like I should.

I think I agree with motosapiens and OpenB. I need more practice, and not during matches, to learn more about open. Slow sux with these guns ;)

Definitely need more practice It sounds like low B class Limited guys can beat you on a regular basis doing what you are doing now.

There have been a number of suggestions on here and they basically all come back to the same thing.

1. Good Grip

2. Good Sight picture (only what you need to see to break the shot)

3. Trigger control (don't pull the gun off the target)

The Bill Drill on steel sounds like a good exercise for you. Maybe even 2 or 3 steel plates with 2 shots on one, transition to the next, 2 shots, rinse and repeat.

The other thing we can do Wayne is put the video camera on your head, it has helped me to determine if I'm looking at the target when I break the last shot, or if I have already started to move to the next location. Let's try to break this down the next time you shoot with us.

Speed up. Get the idea out of your head that you need to slow down to get your hits. Shoot at full speed and figure out why you are missing. Is it poor trigger control? Poor recoil control? Not aquiring the target or pulling off early? If you don't figure it out at speed you'll never be able to go fast, you'll forever be stuck thinking you have to be slow to be successful

This...

This.

slow is slow, fast is fast.

I learned how my dot tracked at speed by shooting Bill Drills on a steel A zone. Shoot only as fast as you can keep the steel ringing. If it doesn't ring, slow down, see what you need to see. Change distances. This taught me what shooting fast AND accurately felt like.

Sounds like you are learning to hear the shot

If you miss either the gun wasn't pointed at the target or you yanked the gun off the target.

Stop doing that.

The noise from an open gun may have given you a flinch.

Stuffing some dummy rounds in your magazines and running in your fast mode should tell you what is going on.

DNH

Agree with this 100%. some random dummies will show up if you have a recoil flinch, or a trigger jerk or whatever.

also agree that apart from gun or ammo failures a miss can only mean the gun wasn't pointed in the right place, or it was but then you jerked it off... stop that!!! lol.

open guns are called race guns for a reason. production guns are like the honda civic cup. not much between the guns, and many more people can shoot one to it's potential. a well built race gun is like the F1 car of guns. sure a slower guy can hop in one and hand a civic driver (production) their ass, but against a fast guy in an F1 car he's going to find it tough and the F1 car takes some serious skill in the other aspects of the sport to master (movement, stage planning, gun handling as well as the actual shooting).

So it's reasonable to expect a bit of a learning curve.

As many people say the worst part about open is all the other guys have open guns too! I'd be a shooting god if I could shoot my open gun in production...

Well I can now account for some of my misses last Saturday. got to the match last night and first stage was all fairly close paper and all my hits were Charlie delta to the right. I began to be suspicious of the cmore. Next stage had several mini poppers and I could not hit them. Now I was pissed. Took an RO with me to an empty bay and took a static head shot from 15-20 yards. 2 shots not even on paper. 2 more shots to torso way right. The cmore had moved! 6" to the right!! I re-zeroed and finished the match with good hits and no mikes.

How does that happen and can it be prevented?

Hello: What I was told when I first started is "know where your gun hits at different distances" I thank Benny Hill for that! I always look at my hits on paper to see if things have changed or is it something I did. Most times it is me pulling off the target to get to the next target. Glad to hear you found your problem, shoot fast and shoot all "A's". Thanks, Eric