Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking in a new 2011?

Fathead302

My new STI Edge CRP in 9mm should be arriving this week, and I am wondering if there are any break in suggestions you might have before I bring it to it's first match, or would I be just as well off function checking it with some rounds and all of the new magazines and consider it good to go?

Thanks!

If for no other reason than the sheer enjoyment of a new gun, I would put 500-1000 rnds thru it before shooting it at a match. Part of that is to function test the gun, but the other part is to get acquainted with your new team mate and see if there are things you want to change (i.e. re-profiling the grip, undercutting the trigger guard, see if the sights are to your liking...). Lube it well and keep it lubed, and don't clean it for the first 500 rnds. The soot and grime plus all the lube will act as a lapping compound.

I would also test all the magazines, especially if you're using after market basepads and followers. Some of the followers require some tuning to keep it from locking the slide back with one or two rnds remaining. The stock ones are generally fine, but do not allow as much capacity.

Good luck!

This is what you need to do.....

Load up all the magazines you have for it. Head to the range. Set up a bunch of targets. Shoot until all your mags are empty. Reload mags and repeat.

Do this until you run out of ammo.

before I bring to first match should I function check it

Absolutely!!!

I bought four mags (1 - 170 mm mag) with gun - all numbered, and I was never

able to load more than 15 rounds in the 170 mm mag (9mm major) - should have

held 29 rounds.

One of the 140's never worked either - I could load it to 20 (full), but I'd

get a FTF almost every mag - that took me a year to figure out it was the

140 mm mag that was at fault - never had a problem with the other 2 140's.

I wouldn't assume it's going to work perfectly - hope it does, but prepare to

trouble shoot it if it doesn't.

No reason to do all that testing in front of your squad - do it all by yourself

at the range alone with no time pressure.

Good luck with it. :cheers:

Received the new Edge the other day, and what a fantastic pistol! I took it out to the range and put 350 rounds through it without a hiccup the other day, and today I shot it in it's first local USPSA match. I did have one failure to go into battery at the match, but I am pretty sure that was because I was riding the slide with my thumb as I am not used to having my thumb on top of a safety. It is going to take a little while to get used to this gun.

A couple things I have noticed so far:

• The grams followers lock the slide back with one round left in the magazine every time. I will have to get courageous and do some grinding!
  • This thing is SHARP! Lots of edges that will rub you the wrong way on the slide if you are not careful, and the grip is definitely grippy!
  • Going from my XDm to the Edge makes my 9mm minor loads feel like I am shooting a 22 pistol. It definitely absorbs the recoil and muzzle flip.

image.jpeg

Edited by Fathead302