Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aimpoint M4 vs Aimpoint T1

Nemesis Lead

I have an Aimpoint M4 which I use in Limited. I am interested in looking at an Aimpoint T1 as old football injuries have me looking to lighten my rifle. Has anyone ever moved from an Aimpoint M4 to an Aimpoint T1?

Seems much lighter albeit with a bigger dot.

My question is.......how did you like the T1 vs the M4? In what ways was it better? In what ways was it worse? Are the equivalent on up close targets? Did it have an impact on your scores/placing in a match? Which is better overall for Multigun?

The M4 and T1 are both 2 moa dots. On paper there's a large weight difference but in practice I couldn't feel it. Most likely because it's so far back and in between my hands.

The largest benifit I saw was increased vision around the scope.

Thank you for the response. I have a 4 MOA T1. Looks like they make a 2 MOA version now as you point out.

Which scope offers you better overall "vision" for transitions, etc.. The T1 has more vision "around" the scope because it is smaller, but do you ever have issues with the smaller tube vs the M4?

I've shot and owned both. The T1 does require a "better cheek weld" as I found myself needing to be right behind the optic. The M4 was a little more forgiving especially in non traditional shooting positions.

However I currently run T1's on all my rifles that use non magnified optics. So I suppose I prefer the micro's. They're not only lighter but less apt to getting smacked around due to their smaller size.

I have a two 4 MOA mico's and a M4 with a 2MOA dot. I think the M4 would be my preference between the two even though its a bit heavier. If I was going to build a NON-magnified optic gun I would look hard at the Leupold prismatic as that's what most of the shooters use or a Eotech with the drop dots built in.

I have both a T1 and an M4s, and both are 2MOA.

If you are seeing either while shooting, your eyes are focused on the wrong things. If you cannot see the dot on the T1, your cheekweld is poor and you probably wouldn't have been hitting anything distant with a bad cheekweld anyways. In close paper, out to about 50 yards, the M4/M4s is a little more forgiving with it's larger lenses in case your cheekweld is a little off, and you can afford to be slightly off on paper and larger steel at those distances.

I first had the M4s and loved it, I still do. Then picked up a T1 since everyone was ranting and raving about how great it is, and I love it too. At first, I thought the T1 was going to be slower due to the tiny window you have to look thru, but found that when I snapped the gun up to a good cheekweld, I didn't see anything but the dot and the target anyways. If you could only afford to have one, already have one, and are considering switching, I wouldn't waste the effort personally. The weight difference isn't out at the muzzle and is on the receiver in the center of the gun, so you don't really notice it much. A lightweight profile barrel may do more for you there.

I doubt you will feel the weight difference - I don't. You WILL notice the smaller field of view, which makes it slower to acquire the dot at speed. If you must switch to the T1, mount it as far back on the upper receiver as possible (i.e. closest to your eye) to be as forgiving of head position as possible. This means you need to use a mount that will not interfere with your ability to operate the charging handle (i.e. with the latch/nut on the right side).

Personally, I would look at things like the barrel, handguard etc. to minimize weight.

I use a Aimpoint micro for Heavy metal irons and went the other way- I put it far forward on the receiver. Mine has the 4 moa dot and I find that a consistent cheek weld alleviates any issue of seeing the dot. Also, I think it aids in precision along with making the dot less bright for longer range shots.

For the OP, try it both ways and see what you like. Run some drills with it each way and see what gives you faster times/better hits.

I doubt you will feel the weight difference - I don't. You WILL notice the smaller field of view, which makes it slower to acquire the dot at speed. If you must switch to the T1, mount it as far back on the upper receiver as possible (i.e. closest to your eye) to be as forgiving of head position as possible. This means you need to use a mount that will not interfere with your ability to operate the charging handle (i.e. with the latch/nut on the right side).

Personally, I would look at things like the barrel, handguard etc. to minimize weight.

Edited by rboyes

I've shot most of the "dots" out there... nothing comes close to the Eotech in speed for me. The Leupold Pris is better at long range stuff, but I never could get to work well for me up close.

The newer XPS series with the side-ways 123 battery aren't that heavy either, especially when you consider that the mount is built in.

I have both a 4MOA and 2MOA T1

I run them all the way forward on the upper receiver.

I did some tests with a timer vs a M4 and Eotech when I first got mine..

I didn't find I was any slower

I love em..