Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer spring for S.A. trigger

3djedi

Will a light hammer spring and firing pin make any difference on a S.A. trigger? (As for a lightened trigger pull)

Not much. A little bit. It does make it easier to cycle the slide ( easier to cock the hammer).

It's not like da where it's a direct reduction in trigger pull weight.

SA pull weight is all in the hammer hooks and the sear, the lighter the hammer spring, the mushier the break.

That sucks. I ordered an xtreme hammer spring and matched firing pin spring. The hammer spring is 13.8lbs.

I ordered it thinking it would lighten the pull but then thought about how things work and realized it was probably waste. Oh well....its only a few bucks...

I measured my trigger and it was about 3.1 lbs and I would like to get it closer to 2.5lbs. Would just a lighter trigger return spring get me close? Does that Henning flat trigger have a lighter return?

That's okay , try it out anyway.

But if you can, also have the Extra Long Firing pin installed to help out with the primers.

It has more to do with the springs and a lot of polishing of parts than the actual trigger itself,

so as for the henning trigger it may also be something to look into.

But first try polishing and springs, don't forget the plunger spring also can help get the trigger pull down a little.

Best Of luck

Edited by gennaro

That's okay , try it out anyway.

But if you can, also have the Extra Long Firing pin installed to help out with the primers.

It has more to do with the springs and a lot of polishing of parts than the trigger itself,

as for the henning trigger it may also be something to look into.

But first try polishing and springs, don't forget the plunger spring also can help get the trigger pull down a little.

Best Of luck

I bought the gun used and he said the trigger was already polished and also the firing pin block was removed. Also has the hennings extended firing pin installed.

I'll try the hammer spring out just to see how it feels. If it sucks I'll put the stock back in. I plan on getting a stock II or a limited pro one day and can save the light hammer spring for it.

Edited by 3djedi

yeah on a DA gun the hammer spring makes a massive difference in DA pull.

try it out. 13.8 is not super light. it's a good weight.

yes the henning trigger will lighten the pull but not because of the change in trigger but because it comes with a lighter trigger return spring (you push against this spring when pulling the trigger) AND a lighter trigger plunger spring. lightening both those springs will bring down the SA trigger weight.

otherwise think about what the SA trigger does. it lifts the sear to let the hammer hooks go under it. so the depth of the hooks/level of sear engagement affects the pull as does the sear spring (how hard the sear is to lift up).

so TRS, plunger spring, sear spring, sear engagement/hooks and a tiny bit of hammer spring influence the pull weight. as does the friction of all the moving parts involved in the process (trigger sides, trigger bar, hammer, sear, plunger etc).

hmm, looks like I might try the CGW TRS in my tanfog open gun before I go straight to the henning trigger system.

atlas, one more question. Can I use a CGW or other CZ firing pin spring in my large frame tanfoglio? the firing pin spring in there is stupid long and seems almost to the point of binding.

hmm, looks like I might try the CGW TRS in my tanfog open gun before I go straight to the henning trigger system.

You can get the same pull weights with a stock trigger and CGW RP TRS as with Henning's trigger.

Can I use a CGW or other CZ firing pin spring in my large frame tanfoglio? the firing pin spring in there is stupid long and seems almost to the point of binding.

No, the best I've come up with is to clip the stock spring to the point just before the FP gets stuck in the breech face when dryfired on an empty chamber. You can figure this length by dropping the FP in the slide with no spring and measuring to the rear of the slide. I've also heard of drilling out the center of the coils to reduce the coil diameter, but never tried it.

I ordered the RP trigger return spring from CGW but they seem to be out of the CZ sear springs. Know anywhere else to get them? I looked at the CZ custom page and they had them but wanted like $30 shipping.....lol

Edited by 3djedi

Will a light hammer spring and firing pin make any difference on a S.A. trigger? (As for a lightened trigger pull)

Yes, but it will vary from not-noticeable to very noticeable depending on the angles of the sear and hammer hooks. Taking a stock pistol and dropping in a lighter hammer spring takes about 1 lb off the pull. Taking a gun that has a 2 lb trigger and swapping springs won't yield any difference that you could tell.

yes, that's the one. they should be a matched pair but may require some fitting to get the best result.

basically any time you change a hammer you either need to fit (as in file) the existing sear or fit a new one to the hammer. I would always suggest getting a new sear and fitting it to the hammer. that way your old sear and hammer stay as a matched pair. sear will also likely need to be fitted to the safety.

the EGW sear and hammer seem like a good kit.

BTW henning sells them together with his oversize pins and reamer kit.

I didn't see a kit that had the hammer, sear, and oversize pins kit. But I did see a hammer, sear, firing pin kit for $175 and then the oversize pins kit for $75.....Did you see one kit that contains everything?

Sounds a little difficult. I'm sure I can do if I saw a youtube video or instructional page. Or maybe I'll just buy it all and give it to a gunsmith...

Edited by 3djedi

ahh, yeah you could be right.

I thought he used to do a kjt with hammer, sear, firing pin, and the pins for the hammer and sear (and reamers). but it does seem too cheap at $174 for all that since the pins and reamers are $75 on their own.

the new henning site looks nice and all but I feel like there was more info and more options on the old site.

you seem fairly keen to DIY so it's something you can do. there are vids and pics all over the net.

However, how well the sear is fitted to the hammer hooks is what separates a great trigger from an ok trigger. if you understand the principles and have the right hand tools you can probably do it. even better if buying a matched hammer and sear kit they 'should' go together with no fitting at all (except on the safety leg).

it's up to you. at the end of the day a couple hundred to have a smith fit the parts is small beans in the grand scheme of what we spend in shooting sports.

on the other hand fitting stuff yourself is super satisfying. :)