Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing at home

aahunt03

As you have just seen (see above), both authors (Steve and Ben) are regular contributors to this forum .... THAT is why we have a forum ...

Buy their books or spend years trying to figure out this stuff on your own .... The choice is yours ...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USPSA shooting requires you to do a few things, and rewards you for for doing them quickly and accurately. At the risk of over-simplification, this is what's required:

Handle the gun safely and quickly

Fire an accurate shot under any condition, including while moving

Move to a new area or new position quickly and fire an accurate shot

These things can be practiced extensively in dry fire with very limited space with a little creativity.

After you get really good at a standing draw (under a second par time at 10 yards) you could start a few feet from a doorway and practice drawing while moving to that doorway. Make that drill repeatable so you can put a par time on it to track your progress, of course...

You could also set your par time at 20 seconds and require yourself to call every shot of your entire dry fire array while moving, with mandated make-up shots for anything worse than a charlie...

One thing I've always done is to design a drill around my trouble spots after each match. If I miss a far shot on steel after an aggressive run, guess what I'll be doing at the next practice session. That's a one round drill for a VERY specific action. It's always best to repeat specific skills as isolated as possible. The smaller the skill, the bigger the improvement.

Have you ever shot a big field course over and over in practice? That's not a great way to get better, unless you're practicing match mode shooting very specifically... You'd be better off to set up your field course, run it once to record your hit factor, then break it down and run each position as a drill. Do that until improvements are maxxed out or plateaued, then return to match mode and run the whole thing to gauge improvement.

What went wrong at the last match? Design a very specific dry fire drill around it, and pretty soon it'll be a strength.

There are, of course, some books that help you with that. :)

That is more in line of what amateurs need to hear. I actually ordered one of your books last week and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I also don't mind working hard searching for answers through many posts late at night. For me, I WILL find a way to do this and do it right no matter what it takes. I don't mind trial and error either. What works for one may not work for another. I'm willing to do what ever it takes. Even if it's buying some good books :)

• 2 weeks later...

As you have just seen (see above), both authors (Steve and Ben) are regular contributors to this forum .... THAT is why we have a forum ...

Buy their books or spend years trying to figure out this stuff on your own .... The choice is yours ...

Ben's books are invaluable. They have really helped me stay organized with dry fire training.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes sir! This is a great resource! I have been gone for some time finishing up school, looking to get back in the game, i came here first!

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately Steve Anderson's books are not available as Nook books from Barnes and Noble (Ben Stoeger's and Seeklander's are). I know, I should have bought a Kindle. I'd buy his new ones if they were. I have his ancient, original dry fire book in cheap paperback. It was a big help.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any pros or pro instructors teach pistol in Dallas? I've read a million books on golf, once I took a $150 lesson, I shoot in the low 80's regularly. Looking for the same thing so I can incorporate book knowledge with 3rd person view instruction. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any pros or pro instructors teach pistol in Dallas? I've read a million books on golf, once I took a $150 lesson, I shoot in the low 80's regularly. Looking for the same thing so I can incorporate book knowledge with 3rd person view instruction. :-)

Stoeger has a class in Dallas in April I believe.

Pick a small spot on the wall, like a light switch, acroos the room. Align a perfect sight alignment on it. Holster the pistol, assume a start position, and close your eyes. Keeping your eyes closed, draw to your aiming point, then open your eyes. If you do not see a perfect sight alingment on your aiming point, you haven't dry fired enough. :)

Pick a small spot on the wall, like a light switch, acroos the room. Align a perfect sight alignment on it. Holster the pistol, assume a start position, and close your eyes. Keeping your eyes closed, draw to your aiming point, then open your eyes. If you do not see a perfect sight alingment on your aiming point, you haven't dry fired enough. :)

I can do that with my large backstrap on my M&P, but I can't reach the trigger with the large backstrap, and shoot without any backstrap attached. The pistol doesn't point as well without the backstrap. :/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sry fire has helped me immensely. For best results you need to balance dry fire with live fire. Bad habits can be created in dry fire, but can be identified with live fire. If going long periods without live fire you can burn in some bad habits that will take some time to correct. I know from experience.