Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing at home

aahunt03

Huge! That and you don't need to waste expensive ammo working on grip, draw, reloads, and getting a sight picture after those or moving.

Ben Stoeger's dry fire books are no joke and easy to follow.

I personally have dry fire to attribute to the majority of my skills progressing so fast.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just started dry fire regiment and already found major things to work on. I feel it will help tremendously. mine is just on a white wall and sight acquisition is much faster. like a golfer and his swing muscle memory

Huge! That and you don't need to waste expensive ammo working on grip, draw, reloads, and getting a sight picture after those or moving.

Ben Stoeger's dry fire books are no joke and easy to follow.

I personally have dry fire to attribute to the majority of my skills progressing so fast.

+1

I've got Steoger's books and Steve Andersons new one.

It was certainly helping when I was doing it as in Steve Anderson's first book. However, I've seen a lot more improvement after I incorporated the laser bullet into the program. For example, in Steve's par time drills he says "don't cheat, make sure you get an acceptable sight picture". However, its natural to cheat in order to make increasingly shorter par times. The laser bullet keeps you honest. You think you have an acceptable sight picture, but then you pull the trigger and the laser dot tells you that you didn't. You can correct some of your problems faster, and without having to go to the range. The only problem is that while it works great for the first trigger pull when I start cocked and locked with my CZ 75 Shadow, the only way to activate it for follow up shots is do DA pulls. So you can't really practice a string of SA pulls. But its a great tool nonetheless.

I'm using the Laserlyte laser trainer 9mm cartridge. I also saw some questionable reviews. However, I've had it for a few weeks now and have not had any problems. At the beginning of each session I carefully insert the bullet into the breach, and then use my pinky finger to make sure its seated as far forward as possible (the first couple times i placed it in sort of haphazard, let the slide go forward and it didn't seat right -- you could tell the laser was not hitting where the sights were). After each session I remove the laser from the gun and take the batteries out. My only complaint (which really has nothing to do with the product) is that I can't replicate a string of SA shots.

• 1 month later...

Pretty much what everyone else has stated above. Dry firing has been the biggest influence on my shooting other than video review. Anything you want to try on the range you can basically do at home first: shooting on the move, classifiers, draws, reloads, transitions etc. Live fire is just confirmation of the habits you've built up over time. The trick I've learned in dry firing is that you need to be 100% honest with your sights. If they weren't lined up properly you probably miked and should re-do the exercise until you've done it right.

My match results increased dramatically from starting dry firing and rapidly. I haven't even gotten all that complicated with it yet, and just have 3 of the mini IPSC targets taped to the wall.

The thing I have noticed so far, is if I get a good firing grip on the gun, I can work the trigger fast and not disturb the front sight. Drilling just this fundamental has a had a big carryover, as it was one of the things that went to the trash bin as soon as I was on the timer in match.

How useful is getting a shot timer for dry fire practice? I'm thinking it's about time I picked one up.

Dry Firing has made a huge difference in that draw to first shot on target time for me. I know a top shooter in the 3 gun world that attributes most of his success to dry firing in his house. Turned me into a believer!

I am a new shooter also. With that said I started dry practice about 3 weeks ago. When I first started my draw and 2 shots on a target went for 3.5 seconds. It was my first time ever trying. Now after 3 weeks I am down to 2.48 seconds. What I am having problem with is catching the sight picture as I push out to the target.

What I am having problem with is catching the sight picture as I push out to the target.

I have this problem as well. The semi-scary thing is, that the sights will be on target but my head isn't in the right place to see them.

I've been running a narrower rear sight with a Dawson extra-narrow front. In another 6 months to a year, I may try one of the wider rear notches again to see if it bothers me as much as it did when I was starting.

I just looked through my log from last Sunday to this I dropped on average.4 on each of the drills in Steve Anderson's book. So back to your original question yes I believe it helps a ton! Also was at the range and for the first time I could finally track the sights with my eyes!!!!

I've been competing about 4 and a half months now. They regular shooters who attended tell me - it's hard to believe you've only been shooting for 4 months! I tell them I attribute it to my dry fire training! In USPSA my scores have fluctuated from 50% - 80%, with my average being 60%. It's difficult to gauge how I'm doing, since I don't know how other folks with 4 months of training have done, compared to what I have been doing?

It would be nice to find out how others with 4 months of training are doing, then I could have something to compare my skills too?

I believe I have good presentation, grip, etc...I what I need to to now - increase my live fire practice, and work trigger control for accuracy! Dry fire will get you so far, now it's about increasing my range time!

How useful is getting a shot timer for dry fire practice? I'm thinking it's about time I picked one up.

Without a timer I'd say you're missing out on a lot of key components of dry fire. You need to have a basis of what you can do (and in what amount of time) in dry fire so that you can translate that into live fire. If I could do it over again I'd buy a Shot Maxx but a typical Shot Pro is fine. If you don't want to invest any money just yet there are a few apps you can download for free. The main thing you're looking for are random start times and par times

Without a timer I'd say you're missing out on a lot of key components of dry fire. You need to have a basis of what you can do (and in what amount of time) in dry fire so that you can translate that into live fire. If I could do it over again I'd buy a Shot Maxx but a typical Shot Pro is fine. If you don't want to invest any money just yet there are a few apps you can download for free. The main thing you're looking for are random start times and par times

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to pick one up. I'm improving, but I think I need to start working on baseline performance goals versus just trying to hit the g a s p e d a l not *thumb rest [generic]*.

Edited by mattx