Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P lubrication

zhunter

I clean very good, and put a dab of oil on a q tip. I then touch the tip to each of the four contact points on the frame. I also touch it to the front of the locking block where it engages the barrel lug.

Just enough to look wet. But not enough to drip or run.

Edited by b1gcountry

I use the Pennzoil full Synth 5W-30 oil, I use a needle dropper from Brownells to place a drop on each frame rail and about half way down on each slide rail front to back.. I put a light coat on the barrel where it "rubs" moving through the Slide. that is all.

Whatever oil I have handy if/when I do clean it every 10,000 rounds or so.

Mostly what I do, but maybe a little more often. As others have said a little oil on the barrel and on the rails. Not too much. The gun just runs anyway.

I've done several Flog Lube applications but still put a drop of Hoppe's gun oil on the rails and friction areas mentioned in the manual. Went over a thousand rounds without cleaning, but just couldn't resist and had to fondle "My Precious".

Use grease for lubrication and any other gun lube magic whatever to clean and protect all other surfaces. Best grease is Slide Glide purchased right here. Apply to lugs (top and bottom), barrel end, barrel lug. Night and day difference.

My M&P Pro 5" 9 has proven to be very unconcerned about lube and cleaning.

I like to test guns to see how far they go before requiring maintenance, as it could be useful to know in a worst case.

I never cleaned it after receiving it as new and have put over 4000 rounds of Freedom Munitions reman through it.

No lube either other than the factory grease.

It's absolutely filthy inside, but has still not had a gun/mag related malfunction, only a couple FTF from bad primers that were struck plenty well.

I run it weekly in my local IDPA club and the occasional monthly IDPA/USPSA local match.

I must admit though I am getting tired of filthy finger tips from installing/removing my laserlight for dry fire practice so I might actually break down (before the gun does) and clean it up.

When I do, I plan to use Frog lube as I have been impressed by it so far on other guns and have seen lots of evidence that it is at least as good as any other product, and better than most.

The most extensive testing of lubes I have ever seen (one heckuva long read) is http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546316 and convinced me to not worry about my choice of Froglube.

Funny, I have a video of an IDPA match when it had been a while since I had cleaned and lubed the gun. When I loaded and made ready the gun didn't go into battery. I hit the back of the slide to force it into battery and told the SO it would be fine. Gun run perfectly the whole stage and a couple after.

I clean a few times a year (before major matches) using whatever CLP falls to hand, then I apply a sparing amount of white lithium grease to the frame rails and barrel hood. As others have found, my M&Ps run 100% even when filthy and dry, so even the grease I apply is more about increasing life and minimizing wear than trying to improve reliability.

To all the fools who say they rarely clean, why not? I guess I'm just kinda weird because i sport of enjoy it. It is one of the few mindless tasks I can justify spending time on.

It take to much time away from shooting or reloading for more shooting.

I use slide guide from Brian great stuff. Last time I cleaned my pro was about 5k ago. No problems

To all the fools who say they rarely clean, why not? I guess I'm just kinda weird because i sport of enjoy it. It is one of the few mindless tasks I can justify spending time on.

I've barely got time to clean my butt, so given the choice...the M&P still runs (and doesn't smell funny) when dirty.

I've barely got time to clean my butt, so given the choice...the M&P still runs (and doesn't smell funny) when dirty.

LMFAO! Now that was EPIC! Great post!

I have put over a thousand rounds though various M&Ps and other guns to see if I can get them to fail without being cleaned. Most of them run just great without frequent cleanings. Most of the polymer pistols I have tested won't fail unless you dick something up while re-assembling after a cleaning.

Having said that, I think some people place too much emphasis on having a clean pistol. Don't get me wrong, it is needed from time to time and definitely under certain operational circumstances but just not as much as most people think.

Lube preference is a marketing experiment to see just how much money people will spend for a certain oil. It all works pretty well, some better than others.

Don't sweat the little $tuff.

Edited by JMike

• 2 weeks later...

Frame rails, inside of the slide.

Basically any lubricant will accomplish the same basic idea, but you'll find out after a little while how much crud accumulates and how much crud your gun, springs, etc. can handle before they start going south.

With my 140PF ammo, I've never run into an issue.

130PF and 110PF bare lead, on the other hand...

Use grease for lubrication and any other gun lube magic whatever to clean and protect all other surfaces. Best grease is Slide Glide purchased right here. Apply to lugs (top and bottom), barrel end, barrel lug. Night and day difference.

+1 for Slide Glide and Frog Lube. I clean and use SG on rails after every use, usually 500-1000 round/day 3-4 days week. Never an issue. Same with Sigs and HK's.

mobil 1

froglube

fireclean

MPlube.jpg

Great light lube and oil for EDC wear you don't want oil or great on your clothes, but I would use grease instead of oil for high volume shooting and practice. I shoot 300-700 day 3X week and only use Slide Glide grease weigh depending on tempature. Very little wear after 1000's of rounds. I found oil and high round count resulted in lots of wear, especially rail wear in Sigs.I had metal slivers at one point.

Edited by Trident