Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you handle a DQ?

I had to DQ a new competitor this weekend. It was our second stage. We were shooting CM 09-07. We had finished scoring and pasting and I was the last one back. I still hadn't made it to the table when the next shooter walked up, drew his gun, and placed it on the table.

I said, "Aww, man...I wish you hadn't done that. Not only am I still downrange but you are not allow to handle your weapon until told "Make Read". I'm sorry but you are done for today."

I went ahead and brought the next shooter up and ran him before realizing that I probably needed to have a longer talk with the guy. By the time I got ready he was already gone.

We had several new faces there this weekend so I did my normal safety briefing which includes:

In the future, if I have to DQ someone, I will hand the timer to another RO so I can go over it with them better.

I have had to adjust / add things to my normal safety briefing as a result of mistakes people have made (dropped gun, drawing before turning, etc). I will also be a little more explicit about the gun handling. I did have another shooter reach for his gun before I said anything. I had already cleared the area and was getting ready so I quickly said, "Make Ready" before he got it out. I also let him know that he almost got DQ'd for doing that.

Any other suggestions for how you guys handle DQs?

Because we have so many new shooters to the indoor Tuesday night matches, I've gotten in the habit of giving extra guidance during the reading of the stage briefing. Anything that isn't the standard holstered standing start, such as a table start, mags placed on props, doors, etc., gets an additional set of comments and demonstrations to the entire squad.

It's very difficult for a new shooter that hasn't grabbed a loaded gun off a table under time to keep the focus on the required concepts. They just see me snatch the gun and take off - they don't see where my eyes are watching the gun into my grip or my movement design to keep the gun in front of me and not take off before bringing it up in front of me. They just see me take off and try to do it. They miss grabbing the gun. They start moving forward of the table before bringing the gun up in front of them "slinging" it around often either coming close to 180 or busting it.

Realizing those gotchas, in addition to the temptation to draw a gun out of the holster as Mike noted, I always give a reminder bit of these challenges when presented in the course.

DQ'ing the newbie for doing what they did is required. One way you could help the situation is briefing as above.

• 2 weeks later...

All very good points and great reasons not to run your mouth incessantly when on the timer!

Absolutely true, I see too many ROs that just chat much more than necessary while holding the timer. I love to talk with the guys just as much as the next guy but when you are on the timer, it should be all business.

The same thing happened at an Area match I was ROing and a foreign competitor heard the CRO say something about waiting to make ready and he started to draw. He just barely cleared the holster and was DQ'ed. The RM reinstated him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All very good points and great reasons not to run your mouth incessantly when on the timer!

Absolutely true, I see too many ROs that just chat much more than necessary while holding the timer. I love to talk with the guys just as much as the next guy but when you are on the timer, it should be all business.

The same thing happened at an Area match I was ROing and a foreign competitor heard the CRO say something about waiting to make ready and he started to draw. He just barely cleared the holster and was DQ'ed. The RM reinstated him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is simple. Run a match with 2 stages in 2 hours with 36 people there. 18 people on a squad in an hour. The first time someone starts that jibber jabbering stuff with the clock in their hand they have 4 people coming up to them going dude - if you want to talk, give me that....We gotta go...

USPSA matches are a big kid game with big kid rules. We can't put a seat belt, helmet, or air bag on everything to keep people from doing stupid things. When I am ROing a stage and the layout promotes the chance of breaking a safety rule (targets that can be seen/engaged beyond the 180, sweeping issues, etc) I will simply state "Every stage provides the opportunity to make the wrong decision, make your decisions wisely".

On the flipside Cha, we must follow the rules about breaching safe angles of fire. If we unnecessarily exposing shooters to these situations, we are doing an injustice to the system and just creating a bad situation overall. It's really tough to DQ a shooter when the MD could have avoided it by making just some minimal adjustments to close off the 180s and trying to keep the stage as safe as possible.

• 8 months later...

Sending new shooters home from a level 1 or club match is no fun, That said I would say its better for everyone involved if they learn why it happened and they are encouraged to come back and continue

the sport needs new shooters as we all know. I have seen plenty of new shooters I always try to help them be aware of what not to do coaching new shooters through a stage is not a bad thing if it keeps everyone safe

its worth the effort.