Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dave Thomas

wgnoyes

"Remembering Dave is easy, he had been an integral part of USPSA from the beginning. Anyone who has been involvd in the game for any reason owes Dave a debt of thanks. The sport would not be where it is without him"

I could not agree more with Rob's statement. Dave was as much a part of USPSA as DVC! He would be seen at Nationals doing everything from ROing to hanging banners to doing scores.

He will be missed. Our condolences to Heidi and the rest of his family.

Rest in peace.

CHINO VALLEY, Ariz. – Former Missoula resident David Charles Thomas, 68, went home to the Lord after a courageous three-year battle with cancer.

Dave was born in St. Ignatius on July 16, 1946, to William and Dorothy Thomas, attended schools in Ronan and Hamilton, and served in the Navy with a tour in Vietnam in 1968-69. He married Heidi Gasser in Missoula on Aug. 3, 1972, and they owned a screenprinting business there until they moved to Mount Vernon, Washington, in 1996. Dave was instrumental in helping start the Big Sky Practical Shooting Club in Missoula and was the executive director of the U.S. Practical Shooting Association in Mount Vernon until his retirement in December 2012, when they moved to Chino Valley, Arizona.

Dave is survived by his wife, Heidi; sisters, Marylou Thomas of Spokane and Lonnie (Dan) Johnson of Bozeman; and many beloved nieces and nephews.

Memorials may go to Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Prescott Valley, Arizona, or Good Samaritan Hospice in Prescott, Arizona.

Dave was a terrific friend and will be greatly missed. I first met him at a Nationals in Bend around 2000 and thought he was an ok guy. In the early 2000's when I became a section coordinator, I got a phone call. Dave was on the line personally thanking me for stepping up. I was later to work with him on the Phoenix NRA convention and with his Leadership Conferences. He was all about growing our sport and was tireless doing so. When I on vacation in Washington and stopped by the USPSA office in Sedro, he gave me the tour of the palatial palace that was his domain (we won't talk about the storerooms!).

Dave came down often to shoot at Rio Salado and I had the privilege of running him and seeing him shoot. Sorry Rob, I don't believe I ever had to give him a penalty.

I just got back from his Memorial Service in Prescott Valley and got to give my condolences and a hug to Heidi. It was a nice service to a very nice guy. Dave - you got all alphas, my friend. All alphas.

Pete Carstensen