Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dave Thomas

wgnoyes

I first met Dave in Missoula, MT. in 1990 and we hit it off immediately. A very genuine, friendly, dedicated, enthusiastic supporter of USPSA for all these years. He tirelessly promoted USPSA and I am proud to have called him a friend for nearly a quarter of a century.

Rest in peace Dave, you will be greatly missed!

Rich

What a loss. He was such a great, unassuming man. Leslie and I spent quite some time chatting with Dave and his wife one year as we prewalked NAZC. It was one of my best days at the range.

Edited by Neomet

Good one Neomet. The journey itself indeed.

I met Dave many years ago while he was selling shirts in Reno at the Nationals. I have known him, worked with and for him and respected him. He was always friendly and wanted to help out even after he retired. He was fighting his illness for a long time and I am sorry he has passed.

His journey is now done. We will meet again at the big match where everyone is a winner. Go with God my friend.

Jay

Dave,

You surely will be missed. I've known Dave (& wife Cindy) since starting USPSA more than a decade ago. What a great guy. He devoted everything to our organization. If there is a shooting organization "up there" you will be a welcome addition. RIP.

Jim Roberts....

I worked the USPSA booth with him when the NRA was in Houston in 2004. Deb and I had dinner with him that evening. He had a Black and Tan. I didn't. I'll make up for it tonight in remembrance.

Rest in Peace.

L2362

Tom Neal

Michael Bane wrote a blog post.

I first met Dave at the Factory Gun Nationals in 2003. I was running a club match at the time, and didn't expect him to remember me -- but he greeted me by name at every Nationals that followed -- even when I wasn't wearing a name tag. He seemed genuinely happy to see each of us.

When he called me in 2007 to let me know that I had lost the race for A8, he was very gentle, and thanked me for running and contributing to the organization.

In 2007 or 2008, I was privileged to attend a USPSA leadership seminar that he put on in Allentown -- and I learned skills that I continue to utilize in my professional life today.

The world feels a little smaller and colder today. Dave was a good man, a solid leader, and a great ambassador for the shooting sports.

A similar thing happened to me. A business trip got me to a match in his area a long time ago and we were on the same squad. Two or three years later without any contact I'd run into him at a Nationals or somewhere and he'd come say hi and chat. That repeated for as long as I've known him, although we did run into each other a bit more often late on. Always friendly and always looking for ways to make USPSA better. Enthusiastic shooter too. You could tell he did it because he loved it.

I'm sorry to hear about Dave's passing. I got to know him in the mid 1980's when I was going to Missoula for IPSC and bowling pin matches. He was always friendly and a nice guy to talk with. We had many of the same interests. I will miss him, but will always remember him and his good nature.

Go with God old friend, we will meet again.

I first met Dave and Heidi when they hosted a competition class in Missoula near the beginning of my shooting career. I stayed with them and had a great time. Remembering Dave is easy, he had been an integral part of USPSA from the beginning. Anyone who has been involvd in the game for any reason owes Dave a debt of thanks. The sport would not be where it is without him.

However and of much greater importance, he did give me a procedural penalty at the 2000 USPSA Limited Nationals. For this I shall never forgive him. Even though I yelled at him at the time, and subsequently apologized at the awards banquet later during my acceptance speech (I still won), I have secretly held on to a grudge all these years just knowing the day would when I could rekindle my anger and unleash the torrent of words I had been storing to let him know without reservation that.... I was sorry for being such an ass that day. Oh well, He and my Dad can now sit around in heaven and try to figure out what they both should have done to better improve my character. It will be a long discussion I imagine...

Adios Dave,

Rob

Edited by TGO