Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Girsan 312 - building for 3gun

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

No ?.  It’s a different shape.  The safety does not swap out either.  The charging handle could be filed to fit, or maybe the one from a mossberg or Remington might fit.  I didn’t have either to test...just the Franchi and Benelli

• 2 months later...

A few of the guys from work bought these......one shoots good, one hasn't be fired yet, and the last had failure to extract on almost every shell.  We changed the extractor to a Stoeger one and every thing is good now.  But he is getting light primer strikes about every 10 shots.  Does anyone know a solution to this?

On a side note I've tried both the stoeger and mossberg 930 charging handles and neither work. Has anyone found something that works?

Edited by usmc1094

On 1/27/2018 at 4:51 PM, dkgreek said:

Did you have any problem getting the lifter kit installed into the Girsan 312? I am having a bit of an issue getting it to function, as its too tight. 

I had to file the back edge of the tti lifter to make clearance between the trigger assembly and the lifter gate. I had some issues with light strikes and fte initially found the when the gun shop installed the extension tube they didn't cut enough off the original tube so the barrell was able to move in and out about a 1/16", since fixing that gun runs flawless.

11 hours ago, Peebles24 said:

I had to file the back edge of the tti lifter to make clearance between the trigger assembly and the lifter gate. I had some issues with light strikes and fte initially found the when the gun shop installed the extension tube they didn't cut enough off the original tube so the barrell was able to move in and out about a 1/16", since fixing that gun runs flawless.

Thanks, I'll give that a look

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long hang time - have had a lot going on, mostly USPSA pistol stuff, but have worked in some scattergun time.  This is about the best thread I've found on this gun so I'll try to be as detailed as possible to help people out.

Ordered and installed the NORDIC Components shotgun tube extension kit, +5 : including low-drag follower and barrel clamp:

" MXT Shotgun Magazine Extension Kit, 12ga. +5 Brands:  Benelli: Nova/SuperNova, Beretta: 1301/391 Xtrema/ 391 Xtrema II, A400/A400 Xtreme (not A400 Xplor or Xcel), CZ: 712, 912, Weatherby SA-08 "

-- had to trim about 1/4 off the mag tube extension beyond the threads, just like in an earlier comment on this thread.  I also had to drop in a washer between hadnguard and nut to catch the shoulder of the nut because of same issue as above with barrel just a smidge loose.   Not finding a washer that worked at the store, I used a gold hoop earring that the wife left out one day and I thought "heh- wonder if that would work? " and happened to be the perfect size.  If you bent a coat hanger wire in a circle around the mag tube extension it would be about perfect too.

Local 3 gun group does not allow mag to go past muzzle, so on the 26" barrel model I have the +5 tube, and with cap, it came out about perfect - less than 1 inch shy of muzzle, and since Nordic threads both ends of the tube and provides a cap, I can add capacity pretty easily. (video below has some good views of this.  Now I need to get the mag tube dipped to match.

I have not changed choke tubes, nor disassembled it past the standard field strip of remove mag tube, foregrip,  and barrel.  I hose it out with gun scrubber and RemOil then a few drops of whatever gun oil I have on hand (I've won several in match raffles and am not loyal to any brand, but "Liberal Tears" does have a nice ring to it).   The mechanism stays fairly free of major build up, pretty impressed, cleanest shotty I've ever had.  I've put about 3 cases of shells ( 7 1/2-8 shot target, most cheapo lead target loads, some lead-free hunting loads) and only 8-10 slugs through it, all Xtreme 1oz rifled lead slugs, all at competition, and all were hits, even out to about 70 yards I was surprised I could sight it in and land hits on 18x24" steel Silhouettes.

I am interested in the lifter upgrade, and on the filing down and smoothing of the loading port seen in previous photos (jameslee1223), is that a metal cover around the port? Or did the metal just get a good polish job after filing?  I have avoided any mods because I really like the carbon fiber finish and don't want to screw it up.

I did remember the GoPro Hat Cam last range trip with my dad - here is some cut-up 5-stand took a 90-min session down to 3 min of actual shooting.  This was Winchester target loads 1oz #8 shot.

Edited by ZombieWrangler

• 8 months later...

Zombie Wrangler,

I have the zenith 22" camo slug gun made by Girsan. I also have a super nova plus 3 extension. It looks like the threads on the tube are longer than the extension nut. I am thinking if I cut farther down the mag tube, maybe take off a thread or two, the extension nut should tighten down without needing to use a spacer. What do you think?

• 7 months later...

My time with the Girsan is now at an end. 

I went to a match two weeks ago and the 312 just wouldn’t run. I kept getting failures to eject. 

I thought it it was my substandard cleaning habits so today I tore it down and found the problem. 

When I removed the tube nut and pulled the barrel I noticed that the barrel extension rotated a bit and sure enough it spun right off the barrel with nothing but my fingers. 😡

I’ve cleaned it up with degreaser and alcohol, applied a generous amount of rockset and screwed it back on. It’s sitting on my dining room table now. Hopefully it’ll work. Either way it’s time to upgrade. 

Im looking at getting either the P3K from MOA Precision or just the regular M3K and put my mag tube extension on it. 

5512AD18-D9F6-4DAA-8026-D0B9DACA9FF4.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to working on the Girsan Camo 22". Cut the mag tube to work with a Nordic Components nut for the Super Nova, and the  8.4"tube. Extends about 1/2" past the end of the barrel. Swapped bolt handles out with my 312 Tactical. Mag tube spring was catching on the edge of the magazine, I chamferred it with ball shaped grinder in a drill that proved to be the perfect size. This gun came with a U notch rear sight and fibre optic front sight. It is a quick sight picture. Shot around 100 3 dram loads today with no problems. Going to give it a go in two weeks at our next 3 gun match. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 2:34 PM, Thepacattack said:

I am having the same issue with light strikes. I installed the Taran Tactical spring kit and it still light strikes the primer. I’ve even put the same round and it will light strike it again. Any suggestions other than remove the spring kit and use the warranty?

What shells are you using?  Is this with all shells?  Brand and specifics please? 

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Thepacattack said:

I am having the same issue with light strikes. I installed the Taran Tactical spring kit and it still light strikes the primer. I’ve even put the same round and it will light strike it again. Any suggestions other than remove the spring kit and use the warranty?

I am having the same issue, did you ever figure out how to fix it?