Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited - Light Strikes

TDH

Is it common for limited guns to have light strikes with stock springs/firing pin?

I've got a limited and the only modification is a henning flat trigger. All the springs are what came in the gun. I've shot two matches with it and have had a couple light strikes with Winchester primers. I don't think it's the ammo since I check for high primers and have never had an issue shooting 9's or 45's with my 1911s.

Is it common for limited guns to have light strikes with stock springs/firing pin?

I've got a limited and the only modification is a henning flat trigger. All the springs are what came in the gun. I've shot two matches with it and have had a couple light strikes with Winchester primers. I don't think it's the ammo since I check for high primers and have never had an issue shooting 9's or 45's with my 1911s.

I don't know if it's COMMON, but the ONE modification I always make with my limited guns, is a henning firing pin and removing the firing pin block. With a reduced hammer spring, and the henning firing pin, I can use cci RIFLE primers with no problem in limited 40. It's an easy fix.

the sear isn't getting out of the way and could cause drag on the hammer?

That's one possibility, before you change anything, hold the trigger to the rear and thumb the hammer cowboy style back and forth, can to feel the hammer hooks touching the sear? If so dial out the over travel screw.

• 2 months later...

Just following up with this. My hammer was dragging on the sear. Backed the over travel off and everything seems to clear now. Still need to shoot it to verify but this was likely the cause.

• 3 months later...

Yeah check that overtravel or anything else that would cause drag on the hammer or firing pin. A 14lb and a Henning pin should be more than enough to ignite any primer I know of.

Also look and see if you are fully in battery when your light strikes occur. That can be another cause.

Edited by Nealio

I don't know if it's COMMON, but the ONE modification I always make with my limited guns, is a henning firing pin and removing the firing pin block. With a reduced hammer spring, and the henning firing pin, I can use cci RIFLE primers with no problem in limited 40. It's an easy fix.

+1 on this. I usually don't use the reduced hammer spring. I like to keep the trigger around 3-4 lbs, it a personal thing for me. Super light triggers scare me a little nervous.

I'm using a 14lb hammer spring with the XL Henning pin, cut three coils from the FP spring (read it somewhere) and I still have a light strike occasionally.

I run a 14 lb hammer spring and a henning XL firing pin in my limited gun. I've never gotten a light primmer strike, and I use RIFLE primers in my 40 major loads. It's probably your over-travel screw.

Another possibility is dragging on the fpb. Since you're in limited you can remove it. I would. It's useless for anything other than causing an occasional light strike...

As far as I can tell, the firing pin hits the FPB even when its disengaged. Every single "stock" gun I've looked at has a shiny spot on the FPB where it engages the firing pin. I've taken 2 different stock guns and "fit" that FPB so the firing pin is completely free moving when the FPB is disengaged. The primer strikes were so deep I had to clip some coils off the hammer spring. I was afraid the pin was going to pierce the primer.

hmm, that is possible. But I personally don't think it's any kind of firing pin overtravel stop. I think it hitting is what causes some light strikes from time to time. I know a few guys who got rid of their light strike issues after binning the FPB. it's rubbish anyway. The only way I could see it stopping a drop fire is if somehow the hammer hooks sheared off or the sear blade broke so that the sear stayed in place but the hammer fell. in that case it would (maybe) work. in all other drop fire situations where the sear moved off the hooks it would release the FPB and allow the gun to fire.

I removed it on my eric custom/gold team and noticed no massive increase in firing pin strike but did notice doing 10 'pencil tests' in a row they were more consistent in how high the pencil went. :) Sadly since in IPSC production you cannot remove it it's still present in my stock II but like you I had a good look at it.... :)

• 3 weeks later...